Ever been in a situation like this?

Have you ever liked someone, and know they like you back (he told me).

BUT.you knew that a relationship between the two of you would never work?

this is the situation I'm in.he is 5yrs younger than me, and I am pretty sure that things wouldn't work out between us. just because of different lifestyles, and stuff.

SO any suggestions on how I can tell him that I like him, but I just wanna be friends? I really do like him, I just don't wanna mess things up. if that makes any sense.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

its not so much the age factor that makes me think that things wouldn't work.it is more the fact that we have completely different lifestyles, and responsibility levels.

Most Helpful Girl

• I personally don't think that's its a problem when I a guy is younger. My uncle got married to a women and she is 8 years older than him, and they are a very happy family they have 3 beautiful kids. I think the most important thing is if you love each other it doesn't matter. Lol I just understood that like not long time ago, because I got in a fight with my best friend over a younger guy that she's getting married to, and I screw up big time. So I think if you really like this guy just give him a chance seriously maybe things will work even better than you ever though about it. GOOD LUCK!

What Guys Said 3

• Just tell him that you don't think a relationship would work but would like to remain friends. There is no real secret to communicating to a guy, its pretty strait forward, just say what you mean.

• u shouldnt let age b a factor at all. my cousin she married a guy 10 years older then her and they're happy together.

what would you do if that guy was ur mr right? and you let him go because of age.

• Um welll ur situation is rare. But I think you could just tell him what you wrote about. That might b a good idea.

What Girls Said 3

• Well, you SAY age isn't the factor that's keeping you apart, but you go on to say that his responsibility level is different than yours, which usually comes with age. maybe I'm mistaken. Anyway, regardless of your reason behind why you wouldn't work ETC, what you really need to ponder is, are you okay with you two not working? In 10 years, looking back, will you regret passing him up?

• It sounds like you gave up before trying, but if you are satisfied with your answer that is all

that matters. As far as being friends, just tell the guy straight up, but I also think that you

should be upfront with everything. Again, as long as your fine with your answer that is all

that counts.

• oh my god, I think we might be the same person. someone I am very close to told me he liked me and asked me out and I liked him back but had to say no, because he is younger than me and our relationship could never work because of very different beliefs and values and stuff.

i told him straight out why I believed we shouldn't date and I think he understood. we're not as close as we used to be though. sucks.