Dating someone who is suicidal

Have you ever dated someone who was depressed or suicidal? How did you deal with it? Did it ever get on your nerves? Were they like that when you met them? Did you ever had enough of it, but was afraid to break up with them?

I should probably clarify that I'm the one with the problem. He has his problems too and we're supportive of each other, but then he doesn't think about the same things I do. He knows I trust him with all my heart. I was curious what your thoughts are.

Most Helpful Girl

• I was engaged to and lived with a man who was both depressed and suicidal and an alcoholic and drug-user. That all sounds horrendous I know, but we loved each other and with my help he was beginning to get better. He stopped taking drugs and was getting treatment for his mental illness. We found a place on a rehab program for him for the alcohol abuse but unfortunately that didn't come soon enough and he died aged 19 in 2005.

To some extent, depression and other mental illnesses are often seen as rather selfish illnesses, I know because I suffer from bipolar disorder. Annoyance is actually probably the wrong word, frustration is probably more accurate. But that's only because when you love someone you want the very best for them. Just like I know my family are frustrated with me when I'm feeling at my illest.

I wouldn't change my the time I had with my man though because we loved each other for a long time, sometimes I think he wasn't meant for this world and that helps me to cope without him.

• I'm sorry for your loss. It's comforting to know that you didn't give up. And I agree that it can be frustrating. I feel like I frustrate the people around me for the same reason you said.

• I do it too, you just have to hope there are people who love you enough to stick around and be there for the good and the bad.

What Guys Said 1

• yea it wasn't fun. She wouldn't trust me because she thought she was worthless, and therefore I wouldn't want to be with her. After a while that became true. I did my best to show her that I thought she was worth being with, after a while I saw that it was useless and I had to leave or else I would start turning my frustration on her. I was a little worried but in the end she needs to realize her own value or no one else would be able to. losing a boyfriend might be that wakeup call she needs.

What Girls Said 3

• My brother dated someone who was suicidal. She tried to kill herself, and even though he was the one who got her to the hospital, she blamed him. He still feels guilty. It's messed him up pretty bad.

• please a billion times let him go I just lost my ex husband to suicide last year in Sept I have 2 kids with him and trust me its the most undecsriable pain and hurt you ever want to experience. Get him off to the police or a crisis unit ASAP and get him help before its too late get on your knees and pray out to god for the help you need its nothing to take lightly ifs life or death your young you have your whole life ahead of you please avoid this big heartache that will be with you the rest of your life get your boyfriend the help he need but move on with your life

• Well if you really want to break up with them you have to try really slow. But if you just want to improve him tell him how much you love him like every time you talk to him and tell him about the good things in life and how many people would be devastated with out him and how you can't live without him. Give him compliments and try to make a certain day of the week your guys' special day. Go to a movie, make dinner, go out, something special just for you and him.