How long should I wait before getting back out there in the dating field after being broken up with?

My ex-girlfriend just broke up with me, and I was just wondering when most people feel they are ready to get back out there.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on how long you were dating. If you dated for like 4 years, then it will probably take some time to get over her, but if you dated for like 3 months, then it could take weeks/a few months till you start dating again. Because she broke up with you and not the other way around, you don't have to worry about her feelings. But I say if you're over your ex, you should start dating again. For now, meet people, date casually, etc, and if you meet someone you like, go for it! However, it isn't fair for a new girlfriend if you're still hung up on your ex.

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Girls Said 33

• As soon as you feel like it, as soon as you meet a girl you like, as soon as you want to ask a girl out, as soon as you have a new crush. Don't feel like you have to rush it, but when you're ready, you'll know.

• There isn't a approximate time limit when you should be back on the market. If you feel that you're ready to meet new people or pursue a new relationship then that's your ready mark. It could take up from a couple months to a couple years. But you're young, under 18 so it may be different for you

• It depends on the person and your feelings towards your now ex. Like, if you loved your ex then it might take a while. If you didn't have that strong enough feelings, or just went out for the heck of it then you can do whatever you want.

• Give it time because if you just go into the other relationship chances are that you are going to do same as your previous relationship or you are going try and forget your ex with this new person which is going to hurt you more. Plus, being single is fun...you can flirt with anyone without someon being jealous. I don't know think about before you hurt again...=)

• What do you mean I would do the same as in my previous relationship? I didn't do anything wrong...

• Depends on your connection to her and if you're even ready to move on. Girls can smell your ex on ya (meaning, we can tell if you've been destroyed by a woman or if she still has an emotional grasp on you). Talk to girls but don't think of it as dating. Just sort of test the waters and get used to normal conversation because you'll be single for a bit in most cases for a period of time.

• That is really dependent upon where you are with feelings you still might have about your ex. It usually takes a while if you are wanting to get out there dating in hope of finding a relationship.

• I haven't had many boyfriends, but I would say right after. If you want to get back there right after then do that.

• Whenever you are ready. There's no time frame really. Whenever you feel over your ex and able to give the next girl your all without thinking about your ex.

• The sooner get out there the sooner you'l forget bout her and move on...meeting others will make it easier not to think bout your ex all the time and meet someone new

• I think you should wait until you've found the right girl. don't just jump back in to make her jealous or something.

• Rebounds are health and mostly necessary. Start ASAP

• Depends, really, on how long you were dating! Give it some time to get over her though.

• If you still like her stay single. if she was wasting your time and she's mingling you should too.

• It depends on how long y'all dated and when you feel emotionally ready. Normally a couple of months.

• Go for it as soon as you feel ready. Most people would wait at least a week or two

• Probably 5-8Months It Depends On How You Felt About Her ; Things Don't Happen Overnight

• It depends on how you feel. Do you want to get a new girlfriend or do you want to wait. It's all your choice. :)

• It depends on how long your relationship was, but mostly when you feel your ready to love someone else.

• It depends on how long you were together and how strong your feelings were. If you dated for a year and were in love, I suggest waiting until you feel ready. When you don't think about her everyday and are happy again.

• Everyone's different, but if you're heart broken give your self a couple months. If not, get back out there asap :)

• At least a few months. If you enter into a rebound you're going to keep comparing them.

• A month or so

• If you answer this question it might help me answer this question. How long did you date her?

• it differs when you feel ready or you find someone you think will help take your mind off of your ex with but don't jump into anything too quickly and hang out with your friends for distractions if your sad

• You don't have to push urself out there, or think about when u should, let it be... Ignore it! Enjoy beeing single for a while, and then when u fall for someone ull eventually know, that is the best moment to throw yourself at it.

• It really depends on how long ago it was and if u still wanna be with her

• Skateboarding

• I'd say whenever you're comfortable just make sure it's not within a week after the break up or she and others may think you were talking to other girls while still dating her.

• there is no right or wrong time. it's when you feel you're ready

• It's different for everyone and every relationship. One break up I waited 3 months...

This past break up I was with my guy for 2 years and I waited almost 8 months before starting a new relationship. It's kind of hard to give a specific time frame because it most definitely varies.

It all depends on how you feel, if you're ready to begin a new relationship. And keep in mind the feelings of the other person who you are looking to start a relationship with...no one wants to be a rebound.

What Guys Said 11

• I can practically hear the criticism even before I finish typing this but if you wanted, you can date or screw anybody you feel like right from the words "it's over". If you've been dumped, you have the right. Why? Simple fact of the matter is, she dumped you. You don't owe her anything. You're a free agent. That's how it works. Now if you did the dumping, I think it would have been in bad taste to start seeing anybody within the first 2 weeks, because it just makes you look like a scumbag who traded up, in my book. You can still do it, and technically you're not breaking any rules, but it looks bad and it's in poor taste otherwise, so better you wait at least 2 weeks. This same logic applies to anybody who does the dumping, male or female. No room for sexual double standards in my book.

As to whether or not immediately jumping back on the horse is a good idea, is entirely different story. It all depends on whether or not you are over the person you were with. If you have lingering feelings for her that you can't shake then it might not be a good idea. You could end up complicating things, or you could end up having trouble making any real level of commitment in a relationship. Generally people call this baggage. Thing is it's annoying to deal with from both sides. Especially for the person you're dating because it generally makes them feel like sh*t for variety of reasons. It shows your level of commitment. It makes you look like a pussy, or depending on how you act an asshole too. Yep, if you're going to get into something after a breakup remember the general rule of thumb is "Check your baggage at the door" and if don't know what that entails, I'll break it down for you...

Don't whine about the ex. Sure badmouthing the ex is OK if you mention it in passing a couple of times, but after a while people stop caring, and you start looking like a pussy. The longer you whine about it the worse you look, and the faster things fall apart.

Don't be a paranoid dick. If your ex was a contemptible cunt, cheated on you with half the city, lied, stole, and ultimately dumped you for someone new and perfect with a giant dick and a huge trust fund, drop it. Whoever you're with now isn't your ex, and there's nothing saying she'll do it too So trust her.

Don't keep around any photos of the ex where they can be easily seen, if you still can't bare to part with them yet, just keep them in a box somewhere, along with any other crap that was hers, or anything else reminding you of her. Take it and bury it in your closet, don't look, touch, or talk about it, just forget about it.

Don't expect any similarities. Whatever your ex was like, don't necessarily expect things to be like that here. Everyone is different. Don't expect it to be the same, don't expect it to be better or worse, and don't ask whoever you're dating now to be a certain way, just because your ex was.

If you can't check this baggage at the door, then you might not be ready to date after all.

• As soon as you feel right about it; however, I would be cautious about it for the next few weeks; especially if people you know are gossips; dating someone a week after a breakup may be fine morally, but there may be talk and rumors. If you tend not to care, then it's up to you.

I think that there does need to be a kind of "mourning" and reflection (as well as a time for moving on) from every relationship; it doesn't always happen overnight.

As for an average with other people; I don't really have any answers for you.

In your case, I'd recommend that you take it slow, and once your past the reflection stage (don't overdo it), get out there just to meet people (don't jump the gun on dating, but continue to work on yourself) and follow your gut. Good luck.

• You are 16. And I know 'youngsters' won't like to read such lines but...

Now, it's all just play and have fun. There's no REAL LOVE just yet. Even for the ones that actually make it from kindergarden to grave, the real love happens later...

Just do your thing! Don't think of 'dating', live a fun life and when this includes spending some time with another girl, then so be it. If you don't WANT to go out because you feel down that's fine.

But if you are not feeling down because of the break-up anymore, then you're 'good to go'.

Generally the stronger noes feeling were for another person, the longer it takes to recover. BUT, the best way to recover is to cover that pain with a band-aid... and a band-aid in that methaphor can only be seen as a girl ;)

(though that metaphor seemingly makes way more sense in german :D I might fail at translating though... )

Hope this helped you, have a nice day.

• Personally, I believe that it depends on many things. How long you were together, the kind of things you went through together, the strength and depth of the feelings you had for each other... That sort of thing. If she was a long-term (say more then 6 months) girlfriend, who you had very strong feelings for, then the ideal time period is between 1/3 of and 1/2 of the length of time you were together. The deeper the feelings, the longer the wait should be.

But, as I said, it depends on a number of things. One of these things would also be: you. How well do you normally bounce back from things that hurt you? That may give you an idea to go on.

• You need time to mourn the break up. Take your time to get that out. It's an individual thing. So there's no set time.
    One gf I waited 2 months before dating again. I had a chance of getting her back, so I went for it after 2 weeks. Almost happened, but didn't.
    Another gf I started dating again almost immediately. Think 1 week later I had a date.

The purpose of dating after a breakup isn't to meet someone for a new relationship, but to get back in there again. Feeling wanted by a girl after a breakup helps a lot with getting over your ex.

• There is no set time for it or anything. When you feel ready to date another person again, that's when you get back out there.

• How do you know when you're ready though?

• Its different for everyone. Some people like to jump back into a new relationship to take their minds off their last one. Others wait until they're over their ex which will take a varying amount of time with each person. I'd say wait a bit and try to get over her. If after a while you can't get over her, find a new relationship. Dwelling on the past for too long is detrimental.

• I'd be out there the next day. No sense in sulking. Go out and do what ya gotta do.

• when you stop comparing other girls to your ex.

• when ever feels natural, just go with the flow its what I do, and I'm not dead yet :3

• There is no set time.

It's whenever you feel comfortable getting back in

• right away

go out, forget your ex and bang em bitches'