Is being religious a turnoff?

I wouldn't say I am anywhere near a bible thumper, but I am a fairly devout Catholic. I go to mass, I try and pray every day. I don't believe in contraception or sex before marriage, but I'm fairly tolerant and I don't think people who don't follow this are bad, but is being religious a turnoff for most people.I also admit I am nowhere near perfect and cuss and other things. I know some wouldn't like it, but would even somewhat faithful girls be wary of a fairly religious guy.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well it depends. Do you judge people who are not as devout as you or are complete non-believers? If someone is trying to force their beliefs or their views on another then that's a complete turn off, and there are plenty who do. I was raised strictly Catholic and Irish at that, but now I'm non-practicing and non-believing. I'm generally not attracted to someone who is devout but I respect their faith. I suppose it's just we have different morals(?) (which is perhaps not the right word) but I suppose I just find it hard and complicated with someone who has a completely different view on life than I do . But, I don't think religion is what makes a person or should dictate how they live their lives, their own conscience should do that and I don't need a priest to tell me how to live my life. But that's just me. At the end of the day if you're a decent human being that's what matters.

• My only problem is with people who claim they are whatever religion, and still say they are catholic, or christian or whatever religion, and don't practice at all. I understand why, but it's like if you don't practice, don't say you are whatever religion, just say you aren't anything. You at least don't consider yourself Catholic anymore

What Girls Said 4

• I think it all just depends on the girl. You'll be more attractive to a girl who holds the same morals as you than a party girl.

• Not at all, I am very religious girl and if I had to choose between a :very religious person,

semi religious person or not religious , the "very religious" win hands down!

The more religious you are the more likely that you have strong moral values.

Strong moral values are a huge turn-on! It shows you are a mature, strong individual with principles ;)

• For most of non believes, to be religious is a turnoff... the bible shows why: "1 Corinthians 2:14 "The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned."

But don't let it bother you...keep your behaviour, God bless you.

• It usually depends on the girl. But for the most part I would say that girls don't really judge guys based on their religion, they like you for your personality not the god you believe in, at least that is my experience with this. If a girl is going to judge you for your religion anyway, she probably isn't that great to begin with.

What Guys Said 2

• Not necessarily. A turn-off is when that religiousness amounts to an individual being condescending, judgemental, intolerant, ignorant and brainwashed. Believing in something is fine, but the true test is where a religious person can follow the tenets of their faith and be open and tolerant of those who do not necessarily subscribe to their belief-system and vice-versa; the sanctimonious, holier-than-thou attitude that religion evokes is a turn-off; belief is fine (even if for example I'm an atheist; but I am still willing to respect other view-points despite how nonsensical both parties would consider the others' beliefs).

• Depends on what the other person believes - you have to keep in mind some people are very prejudiced towards religion and even if they are religious they probably won't be Catholic.

I wouldn't dwell on it, because it's not worth it. Are you going to stop believing in God to impress a girl? That's stupid. Just be yourself - if someone can't accept you because of your religion, or politics, or height or race or _____ then move on.

• Thing is though is that with less people being religious today, it's harder to find people. Like you said a lot of the people who are fairly religious and christian are somewhat anticatholic and it kind of sucks because it's like were practically the same religion

• I am an atheist and the girl I am with now is a christian, it doesn't bother me one bit. And while lots of people might be a little weirded out by how catholic you are that's not the sum of your character. Any girl who is worth a sh*t will respect your catholicism just like you'll respect her religion, political views, taste in movies whatever.