How many times should you try when asking a girl out?

so I asked this girl to see a movie with me, but she said she already had plans to see it with her best friend.

my question is, how many times should I try to ask her to hang out with me? or should I take this first response as a sign that she doesn't want to?

Should I tell her how I feel? Should I ask her straight up if she has any interest in hanging out with me in general? Or is this a bad idea?
maybe she is shy and tries to avoid situations like this? I know I used to somewhat be that way. If a girl I liked asked me to go somewhere with her, I would make an excuse to try to get out of it, because I i would be afraid of acting like an idiot.

Most Helpful Girl

• For one, if you find that you have asked this girl to hang out more than three times and she says "no", then I'd prob leave it alone. If a girl wants to hang out with you... she will hang out with you. Trust me!

If you haven't asked several times, then just put it all out there... ask her if she would like to go out sometime. If she says yes but never follows through, then you know to move on.

I wouldn't take her saying that she has plans as anything bad. She very well may have had plans to see the movie with her friend. I've been "that" girl who really has plans but men assume that I just don't want to hang out with them. Good luck!

• Should I tell her how I feel? Should I ask her straight up if she has any interest in hanging out with me in general? Or is this a bad idea?

• Yes, ask! we like when a guy is honest and upfront. besides, if she really doesn't want to hang out with you, wouldn't you want to know about it sooner rather then later? ask... but don't be weird about it. just ask her in passing.

What Girls Said 1

• that could be the case. you never know until you ask. what's the worst thing that could happen?

• She freaks and doesn't talk to me again. I don't like losing friends, especially someone like her.

What Guys Said 3

• my rule is to ask her out twice.

if she's interested, she will make time for you. if she's not interested, she will make excuses.

asking her out twice is enough to learn the truth. if she's not interested, congratulate yourself for trying and move on with your life.

• regarding your update:

if I were in your shoes, I'd simply ask her out on a date. don't spill your guts, don't talk about your feelings. simply ask her out to a movie, a museum, miniature golf or whatever.

if she's interested in you, she'll jump at the chance to do almost anything with you. if she's not interested, she'll make excuses.

good luck!

• Enought to find out she doesn't like you and is just playing you for the attention...