Should I date out of my race?

I am a black American girl and I have only dated black men. I have been attracted to other races, but have never acted on it. I was raised in the South and I don't think my family would be very happy if I dated outside of my race, especially if they were white. They wouldn't disown me or anything like that and their opinion is not that important as long as I find someone I am happy with.

I have always been told that they just want to sleep with a black woman but will not take them seriously. I am a little sheltered so is that true? [no offense]

This wouldn't really be an issue if I lived in NYC somewhere, but where I live a lot of people are racist. I see a lot of black men dating white women, but not as much white men dating black women. I figure I might as well since I have turned down many cute ones, maybe I shouldn't limit myself. So what do you think I should do? Should I start being more open minded or just stick to my race?

Most Helpful Girl

• Look, if you get the idea that a white guy is just with you because he wants to f*** a black girl, you should probably run. Otherwise, I think it's totally okay.

I know one couple like that, and her parents did have a big problem with it at first. They were old enough that their grandparents were slaves. I don't know this for sure, but I suspect it bothered them because there was a long history of white men forcing the captive black women to have sex. I understand that. It's bad enough that black people were enslaved, but for the women to also have been forced into sexual slavery makes it even worse. And I understand if seeing their daughter with a white man just brought to mind images of their ancestors being forced to serve the white man any way he saw fit. But he's a really great guy who loves their daughter more than anything (he's my boss, I should know), and in time they grew to accept him. It was the natural thing to do. She loves him, and I don't know if I've ever known a man who was more crazy about a woman I think that racial ideas sometimes prevent us from seeing people as individuals, but that most people can overcome this. At least that's what I hope. It was really nice to watch my boss and his wife come together, and I don't want it to be an anomaly.

What Guys Said 2

• you should,

i date white woman, and I am asian.

race is not an issue anymore =)

• Yeah its to hard to be an open minded , but its not impossible to do ,

try not hurt you're family feelings but at the same time try to do what make you happy ,

good luck

What Girls Said 4

• Date whomever you would like to date, without thinking "should I date this person"

Whoever you are attracted to just go for it.

I am also African Amerian and usually always dated black guys. There was a guy that was interested in me (at one point) and he happened to be White. The thing is that I never looked at him as White, I just saw him as a guy AND he was cute (extra points for that)

We went out a couple of times and it never amounted to anything but just like who you like and don't care what anyone else thinks/say because at the end of the day YOU make yourself happy.

• I think that you should date who ever you feel comfortable with. Don't limit yourself do to race. I don't know about guys down there, but guys around here don't think that way. A couple of my white guy friends are dating black girls, and no one thinks anything of it. It's not different than any other couple.

• don't limit yourself! you can be missing out on so many opportunities. race is only a label, it can't define your feelings or who you may be attracted to. from my personal experiences, I have fallen the hardest for a black man. things didn't end up working out for me, but that had to do with issues that were FAARR beyond race. another experience was in my school, where two of my peers (a black girl and a white man) had a strong, healthy relationship, and are still happy today =]

so my advice, go for it! whether it be a white man or a black man, you should not let race decide matters of the heart

• I'm Anglo Indian, which means I'm indian, irish, dutch and english! Race really isn't an issue anymore, if you like the guy it doesn't matter what his heritage is.