Is texting friends of the opposite sex in the middle of the night while in a relationship ok?

I recently found out that my boyfriend of 3 months has been texting his friends that are female in the middle of the night. When I questioned him about it he stated that these girls were just close friends of his and that nothing was going on between them. I explained to him that I was uncomfortable that he was doing this and told him I felt it was disrespectful. At first he got really upset and said I was accusing him of cheating. We spent a few days apart and since then he stated he understood how I felt and said he wouldn't do it anymore. He has never given me a reason to not trust him but I don't want to ignore the "gut feeling" I have. Am I being paranoid?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's texting. It's not even a phone call. It's nothing, treat it like it never happened. I can't say it loud enough, it's just texting. What kind of a world is this becoming where texting means anything at all?

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 3

• I do text some close male friends (also those that are in a relationship) in the middle of the night without any ulterior motive, There is no need for you to feel insecure because of this.

• Nah. I love my boyfriend immensely, and I text one of my closest males friends in the middle of the night all of the time. We both have problems sleeping, so rather than be bored we text each other. Nothing to it.

Thing is, he jumped to accusing you of cheating straight away, so I'm not sure if there's something else there or not. Not all texting is innocent. Maybe you should look into it more, but no breaking his trust, that will only make things worse.

• It's perfectly fine. I had a close friend in first year university text me at 4:00 a.m. and he had a girlfriend. we both knew that he would never consider dating me. No big deal.