I'm just curious, do any of you guys out there read Cosmo?

What do guys think of the magazine Cosmopolitan?

Is it ridiculous?

Or does it actually give some pretty accurate and useful information and advice?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a joke.

I pick it up when I'm bored and feel like facepalming.

101 ways to please your man! --> facepalm

Is he a Cheater? --> facepalm

9 Secrets to giving better head NOW! --> facepalm

I'm a psychology major, with an interest in clinical hypnotherapy and neuromarketing. When I read through Cosmo, it's almost as if the editors have some kind of machine that does the following:

(1) Search archive of female insecurities; OR,

(2) Search archive of female fantasies,

+

(1) Insert hypnotic direct command phrase (NOW); OR,

(2) Insert hypnotic indirect command phrase (Befor you, Why don't you, You can).

+

(1) Create content that expresses cliche's or general truths

(2) Then transition into whatever the title vaguely eludes to

(3) Remember, it doesn't need to make sense, you're writing for a female audience

(4) It does need to appeal to emotion though, fears, insecurities, desires, fantasy, etc.

Wala! You have now made a Cosmo article!

Let's try it out..

7 Ways to KNOW that he's a Cheater!

12 Signs that He Likes You!

More Successful Dating NOW!

Just mindlessly, desperate women flip through the pages, searching to find beacons of truth and tombs of secret knowledge, written by none other than interns or staff writers at cosmo, before they're proofread and tweaked by the editors.

Who are these people? Do they have a Ph.D? Are they doctors? Are they attorneys? Under what authority are they writing this information and holding it out to be accurate or truthful?

Well, as the General Attorney for Cosmo would tell you, "Cosmo makes no claim that ANY information within the magazine is accurate or truthful."

As they should, to avoid a suit for libel. These are interns and staff writers; people who lacked the motivation and intelligence to do anything greater or more useful with their lives. Oh, it doesn't stop there. These are women, who know exactly "how" to write in order to appeal to the female reader. That's their job, to sell magazines, not to educate women.

What none of them know, is the first thing about men. Otherwise, you'd have a magazine featuring the same exact articles over and over again, from issue to issue. "(1) dress like a sIut, (2) it's okay, "sIut" is not a bad word in his vocabulary, it's a compliment to your sexuality, (3) 3 ways to please your man; sex, composure, and support. (4) The Secrets to losing weight! Don't eat so much and start working out! (5) Good Girls vs. Bad Girls = Desperate/Loser Boyfriend vs. Great/Sexy Boyfriends (6) Doctors/Scientists/Researchers find a correlation between how long couples waited before having sex, and how long until they got married! -1! (7) Beaty tips! Nobody cares what you look like; girls will just be jealous and trash-talk you, your co-workers will loose respect for you, and your man already sees you the way he wants you to look like behind closed doors, no need to make it the way you dress on the day-to-day.

Not good for Business:*(

• Wow, this is probably one of the best answers I've ever received on this site! thanks for responding

• I would rate this comment up a million times.

You have much to teach us.

• Add meh.

;)

What Guys Said 9

• Hahaha, I read it once. I found out where all of my erogenous zones were!

It's complete bullsh*t. That is written mostly by women and gay men. Guys have ONE erogenous zone and you know exactly where it is. The whole magazine is based on a fictionalized world where men have the same wants and needs as women and are satisfied in the same sorts of ways. I don't know of any good publications that you should read instead, but you don't need them because guys are not hard to please. We like cute girls. Period.

It doesn't matter what you wear, how your hair looks, or if you have blond hair or brown. If he likes you, he likes you. If he doesn't it's pretty clear.

Sexually, there's no real secret either. We are usually willing to do whatever you want to do, within reason. Blowjobs are always a plus.

• > I don't know of any good publications that you should read instead

gAg excepted of course.

• I find it amusing. Some of the things they say can be accurate (sometimes), but do you think a magazine written for women really has a bunch of guys waiting around to discuss their wants and feelings? That this magical magazine has a good insight into how men work, and will reveal these "secrets" to you? That's like reading playboy or penthouse to discover what a woman wants in a man... It will just, more often then not, tell you what you want to hear.

• hahah I have always read my girlfriends cosmo mag! it gives me inside info on what they are thinking and helps stear me in the right direction!

some of it is accurate and some of it isnt, but it just comes down to indiviual guys and what they like...

• Personally I think its ridiculous, but I have never carefully read one so its possible it does give some sound advice. Then again a broken clock is right twice a day so read into that however you want.

• it feels like spying on the enemy.

• It's a bunch of BS written by women who have never known a man.

• it's a bunch of chickensh*t that makes the women who read that garbage into idiots. Cosmo is dumb... why even bother reading it..

• I read it once when a woman I was dating at the time had one at her apartment. I didn't find it useful at all.

• It's a joke

What Girls Said 5

• It's pretty much bs. It's written by women, so they have the same curiosities and concerns about men as any other woman. I was talking about cosmo with my brother and his friends once, they looked at most of the articles and just laughed at how stupid and inaccurate they are. One said something about a guy touching his belt when he's thinking about sex, but most of the guys agreed they do that when they're hungry

• Its kinda dumb .

• My dad used to read cosmo before I was born! Bahahahha

• its for when I'm bored, but I nver take it seriously...

• it's just a fun little read that shouldn't be taken too seriously. I actually prefer other magazines with a little more substance