Date an atheist, lose my friends?

i live in a pretty religious community but this friend of mine is atheist. and I really like him. and he likes me too. we have a date tomorrow. pretty much all of my friends are religious, but my three closest friends are very religious. I in no way think badly of this, I think its great. I'm a christian, but I have to say that I don't consider myself to be all that religious. but anyways, this guy I like is an atheist, which I personally don't have a problem with. but my friends definately do. they have already told me what they think, and they for sure don't want me to date him. they seemed kinda mad at me when I told them that I had a date with him this Sunday. and I'm afraid that if I get into a real relationship with him then my friends might not want to talk to me anymore. I love my friends, but I really like this guy. what should I do?

thank you to everybody who took the time to answer! I went on the date with him and it went well and we're going out again tonight. :) all of your advice has helped me to decide how I am going to talk to my friends about this. you helped a lot. thanks(:

Most Helpful Girl

• i say f*** your friends. what's the matter with them? I'm an atheist myself, and if I heard a guy's friends didn't like me because of that I'd be p*ssed. honestly it does not matter what religion you have and even if you're catholic or w/e, I'm pretty sure even those people don't hate on atheists. your friends should be more supportive about your choices, and if they won't consider your feelings towards this guy, you need some better friends. my friends are religious and they don't care that I don't believe in anything. Even my parents don't care that my sister is dating someone who is an atheist and they are super catholics. GO ON THAT DATE. it'll show your friends that you really like this guy,and maybe they'll change their minds about him. sorry to be so mean about your friends, it's only because I can't stand people like that. good luck. who knows, maybe you won't even like this guy after this date. but you could also be getting yourself into a good relationship. atheists aren't bad people and don't let your friends trick you into believing this date is a bad idea either.

• i agree and I also am an athiest I am a very outspoken person and this girl I asked out had a friend who os a jehovah witness and when he figured out I was an athiest he had the nerve to get in my face and tell me if I evertalk to her again hell bring the wrath of god on me after I stopped laughing he threw a punch and lets just say it took 4 teachers a principle and almost 16 kids to get me off him lol

What Guys Said 10

• 1. Date Athiest

2. Loose Friends

3. ?

4. PROFIT

To be honest, if they'll stop being your friends because your dating someone you want to date, their not good friends. Its nothing to do with religion, this trouble. Its just their own stubbornness. So y'know, if they stop talking to you, your better off without 'em. Your not doing anything wrong, afterall.

I love how you've got a date with him on a sunday, LOL. That just tops it for me, hahahha.

• Yeah not to be a d*** but if your friends don't want you to be happy just because of your BFs religion id say f**k them. I hate when people are so stuck up that they look down on anyone that doesn't believe what they believe and if someone does think differently than anyone who goes with that person is going to hell. It seems fu**ing retarded to me but that's just my opinion

• If your friends are willing to have negative feelings towards a person who doesn't identify with their religion, simply because they are afraid of him or somebody told them their whole lives to dislike those people...does that sound like a good, supportive friend? His religion, or lack of, is no concern to them. If they want to be simple and narrow minded, let them. But do what you feel like you should do and what will make you happy.

• My friends would not give a sh*t what I did, because we have a deep understanding of each other. If your friends are behaving like this, then they ought to grow up :)

• This girl is a fool. Bring on the downvotes.

• CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

You're from a community of mad people

• Explain that an all-loving God who created man with free will and minds would already know atheists exist and therefore has done nothing to prevent them from existing, and furthermore doesn't mind them being atheists.

• It would be very very stupid reason to lose your crush in your situation..

If they would be true friends, they would like to see you happier instead of being selfish about their own opinions. Prepare to face resistance from your friends, as you can't have both them and your crush, your friends will try hard to derail you.

• Whaaat? I'm friends with hardcore Mormons, so I don't think you need to worry. If they're real friends they will respect you and your decisions.

• Yeah it's pretty intolerant to judge someone's lack of faith. Pretty typical religious psycho thinking IMO

What Girls Said 3

• Friends are supposed to want what's best for each other no matter what. If they were telling you not to go out with him because he was abusive or something that would be one thing, but trying to steer you away from something that can make you happy is not what friends there for. Religion is a personal decision that should play no part in determining who we should love. If this guy is more supportive and accepting than your friends are, then I say go for the date. You really should talk to those "friends" of yours, though, they're being selfish.

• like other people said if they're your real friends they'll stick around no matter what, and if they're not then you probably don't want them in your life anyway. Also, aren't christians supposed to be accepting of people? They sound like bad friends and bad christians

• Alright. I'm not trying to cause conflict, but this is what I think. If you're a Christian than the Bible does explain how you should only be with other Christians in a relationship. I mean, it does say that. So the Bible technically does want you to "fall in love" with a Christian.

Perhaps your friends are playing off of this card. They know what is Biblically right and they want you to realize your straying from your beliefs. I don't know because I'm not one of them.

If you really want to go, then go. As long as you let him know what you believe and don't stray from your beliefs, then I think you'll be safe. It could be that you aren't compatible because you have different views. Just have to try. And let your friends know that you realize their concern. But you aren't marrying him next week.