Does everybody feel that "dating" needs to lead to relationships?

i really want to date people but right now I'm not feeling a relationship AT ALL. now let me explain myself, by dating, I don't mean friends with benefits, I mean like having somebody take me out, enjoying each other being together but not having to get like super dooper attached and really serious cause I have too much going on for that. is that an unrealistic expectation?

Most Helpful Girl

• NO, it's not unrealistic! It's what all women should be doing before they make a serious commitment! You should use every opportunity to go on casual dates. By doing this, you're learning what you want and don't want, you're gaining confidence, and you're having fun. There's nothing wrong with that! Just be upfront with the guys. Tell them, "It feels good being with you and getting you know you. I'm enjoying being casual and will let you know if I decide that I want more." if a man ever questions you or challenges you, just say "I'm focusing on myself right now and don't feel that I would be able to give 100% to a relationship at this point. If that's too difficult for you, then I would feel better just being friends." Good luck and keep it up!

What Guys Said 6

• That is a perfectly resonable expectation assuming that the men know that is how you feel from the beginning. As long as you are both on the same page from the begining, then there should not be any problem. I also would not advise dating more than one guy at a time. This can lead to serious feelings of jealousy even if the relationship is not serious.

• Yeah I'm not really a multiple guys kinda girl but ya know, that's not what it's about. I just can't take the emotional toll that a serious relationship has and relationships take so much time and effort and energy.. I just so don't need that lol

• Then you should be fine, but guys are more emotional than people think. So don't be surprised if a guy wants to move to a relationship from dating.

• As long as you're explicitly clear with the guy that you don't want to get serious it's ok.

• So long as you explain what you want BEFORE, it should be no problem. But for the most part, many date with the possibility of a relationship in the future.

• i'm looking for a partner for life

• I think dating for fun is fine as long as you clarify that to the people that you are dating. A lot of people, myself included, are dating to find someone that could lead to a more substantial relationship.

• same as you. no its not. tho guys tend to take that as a sign. just pick wisely who you go out with

What Girls Said 1

• I don't think its unrealistic! I was in a relationship that ended a few months ago and now I'm at the point where I'm like, "I don't really want a relationship right now, I just kind of want to go with the flow of things and live my life." Its nice to have company and I feel like a majority of women feel like if they're dating someone it absolutely has to lead to a relationship. But I think its nice to get to know different guys and see what's out there. I think dating different guys prepares you for the relationship with the right guy, that is when you're ready. We all have different things going on in our lives and sometimes we need to focus and put our energy more into those things than a relationship.

• Thank GOD there is someone out there that knows what I'm talking about lol everybody else is like ohhhhhh you mean friends with benefits?

• Not surprising you agree with another female, but what I think you are really saying is you want guy friends. You don't want to "date" because that is supposed to progress or end. That is what dating is, by definition. A friendship can fade and come back but will generally remain there if you want, which is what you want, right?

• See you got it all wrong though. that's not at all what I'm saying. I want it to be a romantic connection, it just doesn't have to be super serious. like I don't need to be completely tied down right now. dating by definition isn't a relationship, which is what you're describing. dating by definition is... well.. just that. going on dates. I know what you're saying though about "progresses or ends" but that's just it, I don't want it to progress too far. basically the equivalent of like a fling