Girls, would you date a guy with a son?

I have recently become single. My ex girlfriend and I had a little boy our senior year of high school (oops!) Since then we have both fell into excellent careers and we both are doing good for ourselves we just fell out of love for one another somewhere along the way ) :

I'm only 22 years old, and I don't know that girls my age would be interested if they knew I had a son...maybe I should go for the cougars! haha

Most Helpful Girl

• of course. the way a guy acts with his kids shows his true character :)

What Girls Said 14

• I understand where you're coming from I'm only 20 and I have a almost 2 year old daughter. If I date I make sure to tell them right up front because I'm constantly weighing if this is someone I want around me or mai daughter in the long run. If they can't deal with the fact that I have a kid then it saves me from wasting both mai time and theirs. Although I've found that a lot of people in our general age group don't mind kids and tend to admire the young parents who didn't go for adoption or abortion.

Most girls would probably not be put off if you have a son and the ones that are would be a waste of time anyway. But you should be honest with them up front because leaving out that crucial bit of info could cause serious problems later if one or both of you developed feelings and she has no tolerance for kids.

And yes you are young but that actually says more about your character because you chose to man up and be a good father rather than leave. Kudos to you both by the way.

• I would date a guy with a son but only if I was really into him.

This comes from personal bias/opinion/experience, but I do have friends that have children and one of their main concerns is introducing someone into their child's life who isn't going to be around a month from now, a year from now, ect. So I know that if I get involved in a guy's life and he has a child (or children) it is a long term commitment from the begining. If it is a long term commitment then I will only date him if I *know* him. If I know I like him for everthing: personality, looks, sense of humor, whatever.

If I am just meeting a guy and we are hitting it off and he asks me out but warns me that he has a son, I will still probably go out with him, but I don't want to go home and meet the family, ya know?

So, with my own past, yes I would date a man with a child, but I would want to be commited before I met his kids (and probably his ex)

• Haha that's awesome. I would never introduce my son to a girl I'm seeing...unless like you said it was something serious. I want him to think I'm allll his and he doesn't have to share me with anybody else lol. But this helps alot.

Would it be wrong if I waited to tell someone about my son? because I don't think they should even know until it gets to a point where we might be considering dating...?

• Not wrong, but I would want to know. If you were wooing (yes I said wooing) me and it was going great then all the sudden you bust out that you have a son I may feel tricked or that you are ashamed of him. He is a major part of your life and if you wait a while to tell me I will probably wonder what other giant secrets you are keeping?

• I can see where you would want to wait until after you have built up the intamacy, but honestly, and this stupid and I am sure it is biological, if a guy brings out a pic of his son and acts proud and loving I am going to know he has this amazing sensative, caring side and that he is responsible and loving. It'd probably be a lot of bonus points. But then again I'm a mature chick who can handle someone with a son whereas someone less mature may freak.

• It depends who it is really..some girls get scared off but if I really liked a guy and he happened to have a son It wouldn't bother me..its not like I can do anything about it because I like him already lol. It shouldn't matter. A legit girl won't care ill tell ya that!

• a guy with a kid is not a turn off at all...but the baby's mama is. The baby comes with the mama, and in my experience they get jealous when thier man starts dating and tend to use the kid and thier relationship to screw with the man and his new girl. So, I just hope your ex is cool and doesn't start drama.

• Well being the age I am now most guys my age have children. But when I was younger. Yes I would have as it shows maturity and grounding. Children should not be a problem at all and obviously if it is. Then their the wrong person for you.

• Of Course Girls Will You Will your Kid Will Show Them How Kind And Caring You Are Most Girl Are Not Bothered At All Do not Worry About it Get Out There Find Yourself Someone =]

• I wouldn't dismiss the idea of dating a guy with a son lol.

• Really? Because I'm not looking for someone to be his mommy, he has a wonderful mom already. but I'm just scared that I might be judged for being so young...

I don't know maybe I'm over thinking it lol

• I personally wouldn't mind or judge.

• the son shouldn't be a issue , its you as a person that matters , depending on the female most people are OK with that.

• i understand how you feel. I'm 23 and a sinqle mother of a 19 month old and 1 on the way. Guys with kids is a biq turn on for me.

• I WOULDN'T. I PERSONALLY DONT LIKE 3 WAY RELATIONSHIPS.

• well I think if you have a son, you better have some close friends who really like you for you because some people will be a bit judgmental and look at you as a failure.

my sister got pregnant by her ex when she was around 18 and now is around 21 and the kid is 3. She met some guys at her school (she goes to tech school) and on a school trip she fell in love and got close to him (they are dating now!).

so I think ofcourse it is possible for you to find someone, just makes sure she is not the judgmental type and make sure she really likes you for you.

good luck

• i wouldn't mind, especially if it were to become a serious relationship. I love kids and a guy who is raising a kid really shows that he is caring, responsible, and loving.

• Depends if you hide your kid from her from the start or not. If you hide your kid from her and she finds out about it before you decide to tell her... disastrous!

• haha if your sweet and caring a girl would totally go out with u

What Guys Said 1

• Yeah I don't see why they wouldnt