We're great friends; he likes me, I like him, but I feel like I can't date him?

I've been really good friends with this guy for the past two years. We met through mutual friends and everyone said that we would make such a cute couple. We both denied it, and have been denying it since we met, but we openly flirt all of the time and it's really fun. It seems like a good situation, but for the past couple months, my girl friends keep bringing up his bad points and telling me not to go for him due to shallow reasons. It's clear that we have a thing for each other, but because we're in the same circle of friends, if we were to date, it would be super awkward and I wouldn't hear the end of it. Should I stop flirting altogether or keep it how it is?

I should also probably add that we're both at the same college, on the same sports team, on e-board for the team, and we see each other every day.

Most Helpful Guy

• It really comes down to you. If you want to try for the relationship then it shouldn't matter what your friends think. If they are your real friends, they will accept you both and want the two of you to be happy. However, if you don't want to be in a relationship with him and enjoy things the way they are then by all means keep them this way, but be warned he may want to be with you and if you don't you shouldn't lead him on.

It comes down to this. What do you want? What will make you happy? The rest of it will fall into place.

What Guys Said 2

• don't lead him on.

• It seems you really want this to work. I don't think you'd be satisfied with keeping it how it is. There's no harm in trying.

What Girls Said 1

• I was in a very similar situation. Except, I wasn't exactly sure if I really like him. We were pretty good friends for a while, had the same friends group. I never really considered ever dating him, but we flirted all the time... in a friendly way I thought. But it turned out he actually wanted to be with me, and one night he kissed me and it felt right.

So we started dating. We dated for 6 wonderful months. It was one of the best times of my life, because we had so much fun together. No arguments or anything at all. We already knew each other so well, and knew what each other liked, which made the relationship very easy and very fun. But ultimately, it also led to its demise.

Since we did get along so great and all, the relationship became pretty serious. And towards the end, he realized he wasn't ready to be in a serious relationship. And I felt the same way, since he was basically my first serious boyfriend.

So my advice is this: do not date him, unless you are both really serious about the relationship. Like, you could see yourself marrying him one day. Because if you aren't both serious about it, and it ends... your friendship will never be the same again. I know from experience. You really need to think about this. Make sure the timing is right. And in the mean time, I'd say keep things how they are. Things seem to be working as they are now, so why change it? Friendly flirting isn't a bad thing, just make sure he knows you aren't leading him on.