If I take a girl out on a date do I have to pay?

In these modern days I think it should be different

Most Helpful Girl

• well I think it looks bad when a guy is cheap and doesn't WANT to pay... That is y I always pay my own stuff. I feel like guys think that just because they bought you a candy bar you owe them your life and should be extremely nice to them... jaja lol :D

offering to pay without putting on a nasty face scores points but that doesn't mean I'm going to do anything you want... jaja :D

besides a woman should NEVER depend on a guy. If you got your own money them pay your own things but if you don't then I wouldn't go on a date with them.

BUT... if a guy is cheap then he has NO future with me. xD

What Girls Said 5

• I think whoever does the asking should pay.

I have to say I kind of expect the guy to pay, especially on a first date and doubly so if he did the asking. After the first date, and if we're in a relationship, I'm more willing to pay (and I start to feel bad if he's always picking me up and not vice versa), but I've never been with a guy who let me pay.

I don't know. Little things like that make someone who might otherwise be only so-so look like a real gentleman.

• yeah like everyone is saying, if you ask her out you should pay - it's only fair. but yeah, girls often don't mean what they say so make sure to turn down any token offers. if she actually does mean it when she offers, still pay- but that girl is a keeper.

• If a guy asks me on a date, I usually expect that he'll pay. I offer to chip in, but if he ever let me on the first date I probably wouldn't go out with him again. It would tell me that he didn't like me enough or respect me enough to want to impress me or be a gentleman. If he's not willing to do that on a first date, it will only get worse from there. I've never had a guy let me pay though when I offer.

• wow you wouldn't go out with him again if he took you up on your pseudo offer? that's ridiculous. maybe he's a little short changed at the moment. you're definitely don't sound like much of an independent woman.

• If he's short changed he shouldn't have asked me to do something that required more money than he had.

• Every man I've ever asked has said that if they were really into a girl, they wouldn't let her pay on the first date. In fact they warned me that it was a bad sign.

• Well, you don't HAVE to, but girls who have traditional views on the matter might not want to date you.

• no point going out with cheap skates anyway

• I wouldn't date someone who didn't want to share in the cost of dating either.

• If you asked her then you should pay. Most likely (well, in my opinion) the girl will offer to pay or help out, but to be courteous and gentlemanly you should decline her offer, and pay yourself.

• i recently had a first date.. when the bill came I offered to split the cost just to be polite.. and he said okay. for me, he would have scored points if he refused my offer.

What Guys Said 2

• The point of the whole pay issue is that you're trying not to look needy or that she owes you something if you pay for the date. That's kind of hard sometimes. A lot of girls (especially girls that are used to the treatment) will see you as any ordinary guy trying to use that as value for yourself.

The best way to not even get in that predicament is take her on a date that usually doesn't cost money or is really cheap. Usually dinners and stuff take away from getting to know the girl anyway and distracts from the girl getting to know you. It's no big deal if it's something cheap like miniature golf or a movie, then come across as paying it as it's no big deal to you, usually when a girl sees this she would chip in. In that case accept it as it's no big deal that she chips in.

The whole point of the date is too have a good time and show your personality you don't need a lot of money to do that...

• I'd suggest firmly telling her that you will pay for the first date, out of chivalry. If she'd like to pay for future dates, then that's fine in my opinion. Just do the gentleman thing and pay for the first one.