Is it a good idea to talk about ex's and past relationships on a first date?

Why do some people find it so necessary to immediately ask questions about past relationships?

Who were you with? How long were you with her? When did you break up? Who broke up with who? Was she good in bed?

• Yes that's the best thing to talk about!
  • No that's probably not the best idea.

Most Helpful Girl

• Do not talk about past relationships on a first date! Just like you don't want to talk about the future ( marriage, kids, etc) on a first or even first couple of dates. But for the past relationships discussion, it should be after a few dates where you both know that you're definately interested in spending time with each other and getting to know each other. If you don't like what you learn about your dates' dating history, then stop seeing him/her. But in general, people like to know a person's dating past so that they have something to go by as far as experience and what they've been through. Again, that's for probably date #3 or 4. First dates are basically small talk and having fun.

What Girls Said 10

• i don't think its the best idea in the world to be honest! especially on a first date , lke isn't that ment to be a hole new chapter? why bring up the past , I don't mind it if in the future were just casually talking about are ex's but on a first date no!

• Also--notice that most of the people who think you shouldn't talk about past relationships are young and don't have a lot of dating experience--women who are older will ask because they want to steer clear of making the same mistakes in partners -- men do it too.

This is called learning from your mistakes.how people treat one another in past relationships can say a lot about the character of a person. This is important to know before you get too involved--I just don't think these are first date questions though.

• There is a yes and no in regards to the question--it isn't good to bring up an ex because it may make it seem as if you haven't gotten over them.

Reasonable questions about past relationships are smart though--it shows if you have been in solid relationships and can commit. If you were good to to your ex is shows you are a caring boyfriend/girlfriend.

I do think asking about sex on the first date is tacky however -- and I also think you shouldn't really ask about past relationships until you are dating more seriously.

The way we interact in relationships says a lot about how we will treat others.

Fro example, when a man starts bad mouthing his ex, I steer clear of him-- I have had bad experiences too, but I think we all share a portion of blame in break ups--if this persons can only see his side of the issue, what does that say about him?

• If that's what a girl is talkin about to you then she's probably one of those extremely jealous types and is wondering #1 if you're over her and #2 if she's better than her. Dumb! Personally if you were to talk about your ex I would wonder if you were really over her. It would be a total red flag to me

• Yeah I never like bringing it up. you are exactly right.

• no it's probably not the best idea to talk about. but it shouldn't be avoided. its going to come up sooner or later. don't go into detail when talking about it. its simple.

I guess certain guys don't like talking about it. I just learned my lesson today. my intentions were harmless. and the guy got mad at me for asking .

=o/

• You shouldnt even dream of talking about it if you want that relationship.You can discuss it only if you don't like her and want to continue with another person

• You shouldnt talk about it if you want a relationship with her

• uh no ! leave the past in the past and focus on the future

• If you talk about your ex's the people next to you will think you are still in love with her.

• I hate it. I hate it when a guy tells me about his past relationships. Exactly what is the point in even talking about it? What? He wants to open about his life and all? All that does is just make me jealous and insecure over some girl/girls I don't even know or even wanted to know existed. If it is really important for him to tell he can at least leave out the details, I prefer not to know.

What Guys Said 4

• Stay away from talking about any past relationships.

• Why would you talk about a past relationship at all?

• it gives the impression that all you want is sex.

• First date? That's just being rude. It's non of her business and non of yours to talk about this.