Is it OK to date more than 1 person at the same time?

It seems more people these days are dating more than 1 person at the same time...

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• I think if it's just dating and it's not a serious relationship then go ahead. You just have to let the guy know that you are also seeing a few other guys and you just don't want to rush into a relationship yet. If they are OK with that then, go ahead and date them and all the other guys. I dated 3-5 guys at a time and some times more but they know it's not a relationship. We're just getting to know each other and see if we really actually like each other. No one is sleeping with me, it's just "dates" as in going to a movie, or the park, or walking around the neighborhood talking. There's no kissing, hand holding or anything. I think it's sort of like courting?

What Girls Said 28

• I think it's fine as long as you're honest about it. If the person you're dating asks you if you're seeing other people, tell them the truth. If you decide to be exclusive with one person, then you need to stop dating the other people.

• While young people will ask one person to a dance/social event, then another person to another social event, that's not really "dating" -- a one-time event doesn't qualify as dating. Dating is when you are intent on going out with a person more than once. Why? Supposedly because you're interested in pursuing a long-term relationship with that person. SO, it's not really healthy to "date" multiple people at once. Having said that, it is fine to go out on a series of first dates with different people. That does not qualify as "dating multiple people" -- it's just part of the selection process.

• If you're not exclusive (haven't had "The Talk") then yes, you can date more than one person. If you have both sat down and said," All right, we are exclusive and monogamous" then NO it is not okay.

• I'm from the UK and I know Americans have 'going stead' which is totally alien to us. Once you've been on 2 dates that's pretty much exclusive over here and it would be wrong to date 2 or more people past the first or second dates.

• Lol "going steady" was a term used in the 1950s and sounds ridiculous now.

It was just a different way of saying, "will you be my girlfriend?"

• i used to think that it was fine to date multiple people and did so all the time. so when I got a boyfriend

for months I had been trying to convince him to be in an open relationship and about a week ago he said yes. the moment he said yes my heart dropped and I realized that he could fall in love with someone else and I would lose him forever.

im 21 and I just realized that I finally have my first love.

so to answer your q bluntly: its fine to date multiple people because you get a thrill and also you get to have your cake and eat it (be in a relationship yet still kinda be single) but its only good if you are not afraid of losing the one you love to someone else.

• if its a single date then yes, but once you start going on more dates with one person, you should stop seeing other people too

• UGH! That's the problem I have right now.

I like this guy and we've been dating for 3 weeks now. I don't want him to date/talk to anyone else because he could potentially fall for them. He has no problem with me dating other people, which makes it seem like he doesn't have a problem with me falling for someone else.

It's like finish this project before you move to the next one.

• Last, I'm American. Going steady is the same as dating. Please, don't generalize.

If it's not right to marry more than one, then it's the same for dating, so No, it's not okay.

• Dating isn't being in a relationship. Dating is getting to know a person.

I definitely think you can date more than one person as long as it's common knowledge that it's not exclusive.

• I wasn't sure if you meant, going on one date, then another date with someone else, because that is fine. I see it as searching for your partner in life. If you're dating the same person more than two or three times, you shouldn't be going on dates with anyone else.

• It depends on the situation. If it is casual dating and both people are aware that it's not a monogamous relationship, it's okay. It's not for everyone, but there's nothing wrong with it.

• This is really dependable.

I feel as long as it's nothing too serious and that you define it as an open relationship between the two other people than it would be okay. I don't have any experience with open relationships so I'll stop here.

But to a point, always have self respect for yourself. I personally, wouldn't. I believe that there's a difference between keeping your options open and losing self respect for yourself.

• Some people are cool with it, others aren't. Depends on the people you're with and that it isn't a secret.

• nope. it just more people are single and flirt a lot with others.

• I think its okay if its a casual open relationship. I have never done it though, I don't like casual relationships.

• It's OK because it's dating. It's not like being in a relationship. A lot of people these days confuse casual dating with relationships. But aslong as the people you're dating know that you're dating more than one person it's alright.

• i personally wouldn't but I guess each to their own. if you think it's OK then go ahead, just make sure the people you're dating know that you aren't exclusively dating them.

• No. I don't think that it's OK at anytime to date more than one person. It only gets ugly, and in the end, you break not only your heart but all the other people who "could" have loved you as well.

• You've got to keep your options open. As long as your not sleeping around then yeah fine I would say.

• It's not that it's not OK to date more than one guy at a time, it's just that I can't do it. I would feel like I'm cheating on the first guy I'm dating. Some people can do it though. It's like multi-tasking but with people.

• hell no!

• lol, as if you don't know the answer is NO

• Its okay if you are honest.If your open and the people you're dating know about it then I guess its okay.

• NOOOO

• Just No. Never, ever.

• if the other one isn't serious then yes. if it is then its betrayal.

• depends on who you're dating, I would feel a little hurt if I had a boyfriend who was dating me plus another person-thats just me.

• I'd say it's okay as long as you make it crystal clear that you are in fact dating more than one person. Pretending you're exclusive when you're not only tends to make people angry and things rather messy.

What Guys Said 10

• Traditional dating is mostly about standing in line, for guys, and accepting gifts, for girls, so why not several at the same time? Easier for girls to do because it's usually free for her

• I guess it depends on how serious your dating situation is. If you are still in the process of getting to know the person then I think it is fine to keep your options open and see how well you click with others. But if you are getting serious with someone then I think you should devote your time to that person and that person only, especially if they are putting their all into making a relationship work with you.

I think in general the term ''dating'' has lost its meaning over the years. Dating usually means getting to know someone and see how you click with each other before deciding whether to proceed into a relationship with them or not. But these days even if the couple have been in a relationship (even if it's for a week or a month) they still say they are dating, which I think is wong.

• In my opinion no, if your dating more than one person then first of all it is harder to get to know someone and be able to tell if you really "click" with them, I don't know how you feel about it, but I certaintly would not want to date a girl who was dating other guys at the same time, it may just be me, but I perfer to be a one woman man

• only if your dating and not exclusive or in any real relationship yet

• Depends. If your just casually dating getting to know people better, then who cares. But if you've gone on many dates with one person and continually showing interest, you shouldn't date someone else too

• I wouldn't do it but if it floats your boats, what the hell.

• as long as your not exclusive with one of them then yes its fine

• If both sides are OK with it yeah

• I dated four woman at one time. They were all friends and they knew I was dating all of them! It is normal. it is all about knowning the person and sharing interestings. NO sexy though! it was about kind of blind date or getting to know. I also enjoy when girls compete because it makes me feel sexy, though I don't like when one of them loses the temper and starting bad mouthing one of the girls to lower her. I immediately fire that kind of girl, though it had some bad back fire on me one time, cuze she took two of the girls with her and one of them was later persuaded to leave. That means, the ugliest one remained so I fired her too!

I was womanless on that spot! Desaster!

By the way, I think if the person is doing sexy and all other inimate, the answer is no, but if the person is trying to find the right one and dating couple ladies or men, the answer is yes, because it is acceptable, according my book! I am virgin so I don't do sexy part. Different cultures value dating different ways so mine censures sexy before marriage. Thus, I do date with a lot girls at the same time to find the right one or enhance my self-stem and stay connected and surrounded by women because I LOVE WOMEN!

• the way I see it is if you are trying to choose between two girls and get to know them

never make ANY thing formal.

just meet at public placed and chill and talk

but once you pick a girl you better not cheat because that's messed up.