Would you date someone of a different ethnic background as you, even if your parents disapprove?

Baically, say you are asian and you prefer to date, I don't know, African american... Or you are caucasian, but prefer someone of any other ethnicity than yours, would you date that person of that ethnicity dispite what your parents or family think?

*Disclaimer: This question was not intended to be for my advice or in terms of advice seeking... Just something I wanted to gather data on... Feel free to post any comment.

• Sure, My parents don't run me!
  • I might take my parents under advisement, but I still do as I will
  • I may not, unless my parents warm up to the idea...
  • No! My family is more important...
  • It really doesn't matter... My parents would care less either way...

Most Helpful Girl

• My parents have no opposition to me dating out of my "races" as I myself am bi-racial.They'd only be hypocrites.

One of my best girlfriends,she's white,her parents are prejudice more than racist to be honest(certain things make me think they aren't racist).She only likes non white guys,blacks and Hispanics,her parents disapprove and she still goes out with only non white guys.BUT the irony is...she went out with this one black guy,her whole family met him and they liked him which leads me to believe her parents only put on a racist facade because they knew who she was in love with and they simply didn't like HIM.

• To answer your Q,they don't run me,so I will do as I please

• I think interracial kids are cuter than "Purebreeds"... I too am interracial, well technically... My dad is half cherokee... That makes me 1/4, I guess... A lot of people think that I am half due to my facial features.

That faraday ass hole probably got dumped by an extremely cute biracial girl, and is imposing his wrath upon you... ROTFLMAO!

• I only selected yours on a logical basis... Basically this, There is NO SUCH THING AS A "PURE RACE". Every human is inherently bi-, tri-, or even quad-racial. And for anyone to be descriminator7y on the basis of race, they themselves are hypocritical.

What Girls Said 22

• Well, my parents judge based on content of character and not on the color of ones skin, so they wouldn't care anyway as long as he treated me like a princess! BUT I would respect my parents unless I knew he was the one. I wouldn't want to ruin my relationship with my parents (I'm very close to them) but I also have to follow my heart (:

• Sounds nice and all... but I like to simplify things so that it is'nt too much contemplation involved. No offence but your method leaves too much room for contemplation... I prefer action based upon a specific paradigm... Therein, I narrow it to just, "Loyalty to self" OR "loyalty to family"... Blood is thicker than water, but even your own family can sell you up the river if it were for their own best interests... Therein, :loyalty to self" is to the point. I like your answer though...

• Yeah, it's not like they're the ones who are dating the person, but that would be somewhat of a contradicting situation considering that my parents are of different ethnic backgrounds themselves.

• No I wouldn't let my parents decide on something like this. We have different views on many things, including inter-racial relationships. If I date a guy, that's because I like him, not because he is Caucasian. Besides, ANY advice they can give me about dating a different race or ethnicity can come from nothing else but general prejudice and their own presumptions. Advices like that can never be taken seriously. If they knew the guy, that would be different.

In the end it *is* my life. They are not the ones dating him.

• I voted A, but actually E, they wouldn't care. My grandparents might make some remarks but that's old people.

• true they do. My guy's grandparents were like you're marrying an asian girl? and then they asked me if I already had my american citizenship because they thought I was marrying him to get that... wow... how lame.

• Indeed it is racist and lame... You were probably born here too...

• yes

• My parents don't care about silly things like enthic backgrounds.

If they did though, it would depend on my relationship with my parents and how much I like the guy. Obviously, I'll choose family over a fling, but I'd choose someone who felt like my soul mate over my family, most likely.

• My parents and family told me they'd "disown" me if I did date out of my race, and it's not that they are that into my life or anything, but there is a lot of fish in the sea and I found someone who could make me and my family happy without having to sacrifice one or the other.

• I would just be disowned. I choose someone to be with because I like them and love them and how they treat me not to make my family happy. maybe I was raised different but ill be damned if I let some one dictate to me who I can and cannot love

• Believe it or not, this occured when I was still in the army... She was Japanese, and I speak Japanese without an "American" accent. More or less, her father seen me before, but did not talk to me directly in person until that occurrence. It was a short lived relationship. She liked me because she thought I was funny and the fact that I like going to the Karaoke bars and sing old Japanese songs drunken... LOL But she liked american metal too.

• Oh, I forgot to mention... He knew I was "American" but thought I was white... LOL

• I don't think it's right to judge people based on their ethnic background, so if my parents had that opinion, I could not respect their wishes.

• Race doesn't determine character, so no they wouldn't care at all. There are much more important things to care about in a potential partner.

• i would take my parents thoughts into consideration but in the ebd, the relationship is betwwen 2 people and if you can make it work then that's the only thing that matters.

• well I'm mixed so unless someone has the exact same blood as me, I'm always dating someone of a different ethnic background.

• My family doesn't really care what race someone is. Personally, I'd never date an Asian, Mexican or a Latino in general. But then I like Black guys. So it's all about personal preference and stuff. If your family doesn't believe in dating outside your race or ethnicity then chances are you don't either so I don't see the big deal. I wouldn't give my family up for a guy though.

• My only question is, why wouldn't you date an asian, mexican, nor a "latino", if you don't mind? If you don't want to answer in public, You an answer me privately... PM me...

• avoiding them is the best thing.

• WoW QA that's a nasty savage stereotype on brown women we are not all loud, ghetto, use bad grammar and have fake hair.

• My parents couldn't care less about my boyfriends race as long as he treats me well.

• Yes

• Of course I don't think ethnicity or your parents should decide you your with.

• "Ethics" Are a matter of perspective... Let's say in the far east, it IS "ethical" for your parents to decide and "unethical" to go against your parents. I know this first hand. I dated a woman while stationed at camp zama, Japan. Her parents did not approve of me at first because I am not Japanese. Her father liked my personality however, but made life difficult by issuing intense challenges in orderfor me to seek his approval.

• Dammit, I misread your post... LOL Disregard..

• It's not so much the ethnicity as the moral standards that my family and I would pay attention to. I've always lived in a place with a high level of diversity, so it's sort of a non-issue. I just look for someone with similar values.

• I would listen to what my parents have to say and respect their opinions,but I still will go out with the guy.

• my family is african american and a mixed caribbean background. my moms side of the family isn't in my life but my african american side would prefer me to, and I quote, "stay black". they would eventually accept it but they would prefer me to date a black person, doesn't matter ethnicity as long as he's black. no my family doesn't RUN me, but you would be kidding yourself to say that most people's families aren't a big part of their lives. I am mostly attracted to black guys so its highly likely that's who I would end up with anyway. if I did date outside my race (who knows it could happen) I wouldn't date him if his family didn't accept me because most people end up going with who their family accepts anyway.

• Physical traits are meaningless to me. Personality is most important to me. Unfortunately, most "black" women have, to me, untennable personality trats based upon my OWN observations... I am interracial myself.

• For me, it is important that the person I'll spend the rest of my life with, and my family get along. It's not a matter of race, as I dated a Native American (Navajo) and an African American man. My dad will tell me what he thinks, and I greatly respect my dad's opinion on things - but he's never used the 'race card' (so to speak). He looks more at whether or not that guy is going to be good to me or not.

• i come from a strict indian family and I am in no way allowed to date, certainly not marry out of my race...

but I have loved before to know what it feels like, and when I find the man I wanna spend the rest of my life with and have kids with him, I can care less what race he belongs to, I think true love is fighting to be with each other, and if you let go of that potential love in fear of your parents, you are a coward and admit defeat.

im independent and have the balls to stand up to my parents and even if they disown me for the time being, no parents can be mad at their kids for long and when they see how happy I am with time, they will be happy for me too. its another one of those tests of life and you have to decide if you're down for it or not.

plus the world can use more diversity, where interracial marriage can teach others a lot, and learn to respect other faiths, and help spread peace.

• I say, if all the people in the world screwed eahcother and systematically were executed once the children reached a certain age, Humanity would have one less reason to want to cause gloabal annihilation of eachother...

But that is just my, "fight fire with fire" mentality... LOL

• I have to live with my so once I've found him so naturally I'm deciding whom I'm dating. My parents have their misconceptions about the kind of guy I prefer dating, but I couldn't care less. Also because I'm not like my parents so I won't necessarily date/marry someone who's to their liking...matter of different tastes really.

• I think you can research this question on this website because I have answered a similar question to this before. I think that I would date whomever I want as long as he has certain qualities I am looking for. I dated any race. I am married to a guy of a different race than I am, and I think it's not totally the preferred choice of my parents but it's what it is. I couldn't find a decent guy that was of my race that I thought met my standards, or whatever. My parents were supportive of our wedding, because I am a nice daughter. They decided that if I liked him enough then they will too. I don't think my parents were mean to him at all when they first met him, it is what it is.

What Guys Said 3

• Your parents bigotry should not pass on too you. Each generation has the right to make their own choices.

• if I truly care about the person of course either way idc what she says

• This poll is dumb, its an implied question that makes it sound like the only reason you wouldn't go interracial is because of your family.

• And you are a dumb ass youself because in many cases it is the truth! People often detract preference from their parents. Myself, my parents are NOT the point of which I gain preference, for I dislike my parents. Nevertheless, In some cultures, such as Far east, middle east and other NON EUROPEAN (USA and Russia are of Eurocentric societal views) countries, parental acceptance is a point at which can dictate the types of people their children associate with at what capacity.