Is dating your best guy friend ok?

i really like my bestfriend. we talk all the time, and he's always calling me cute, sexy, and baby/babe. we haven't really been bestfriends for long but we got extremely close. We basically act like we're dating now but I just don't want to ruin our friendship if its not worth it.

so I ended up telling him...and I think I ruined it :/ thank you guys for all the help though!

Most Helpful Girl

• Hi dear :) I've been in that position before. Firstly, it depends on whether you are ready to be in a relationship and whether you are serious about your relationship. We are still young, there are many opportunities out there, and you may never know where your career or life will lead you in the future. If say one of you is really busy and in the middle of building a career, many things are still uncertain, then I'd say staying as friends is a very very good choice because both of you won't be tied down to something, having the pressure to maintain a relationship etc.. Also, if your best guy friend doesn't want to be in a relationship, there's nothing much that needs to be thought as well.

If you are ready to be in a serious relationship with him, it depends on whether he's ready to be in a relationship with you (or in fact anyone). That is taking the career and future life as I've mentioned previously, his maturity, his readiness for commitment, how might he respond should there be a break-up between both of you etc. into account. Make sure that he's sincere and genuinely wants to be in a relationship with you. Otherwise, spare yourself from any heart-breaks :) and also, should you decide to go with a relationship with him, be prepared that your friendship with him might be affected if there's a break up and think about whether you are ready to accept and take this risk.

If you decide to just stay as friends with him, keep your boundaries clear. I don't suggest a casual dating/relationship between both of you since you value your friendship with him more and ones emotion may change as they get more attached to one another, unless you are able to handle it. Hope this helps. Good luck!

• thanks it sorta does, I just feel like I'm damned if I do or if I don't but thanks!

• thanks! I think I will talk to him about it!

• Glad I can be of help. It just suddenly came to my mind that I actually talked to him about my friendship concerns with him and why not you give it a try too. (very silly and slow of me :P) I genuinely wish you the best of luck hun. Sorry for being so long-winded! x

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• i went through the same thing with the guy I'm dating. we are great friends, but we both couldn't deny we felt more. & the way you described ure relashionship reminded me of mine. I will tell you what my bff told me when I was pouring my heart out to her , she said " you guys are allready and a relashionship. just neiher have said it, or made it official."

• If you're willing to jeopardize your friendship, should the relationship end.

• i think that's what I'm worried about the most! :/

• you know I believe that but there's something weird about this friendship. I mean I can tell him anything and we can talk for hours but my friends pointed out that we don't talk as friends but as more...so that's what messes me up!

• You two can move past it if you're really best friends. Don't fret.