What's the difference between dating someone and being in a relationship?

The guy I'm dating now calls me his girlfriend. So what's the difference?

Most Helpful Guy

• to me it's being exclusive or not

What Guys Said 2

• Most people take that to be the sign that you'll be exclusive to each other.

• Well you see dating is just seeing if you will want to be with that person. A relationship is when you guys are together and commited, to me it sounds like you're together and I'm happy for you.

What Girls Said 2

• Girlfriend/Boyfriend usually means monogamous relationship. Meaning they'd probably be pretty upset if you were going out with other people and kissing them, etc. Ya know? Dating = a relationship. Friends = a relationship. Family = a relationship. Everything and anything can be a relationship.

• Umm? Dating = Relationship. There's no difference? There are however, different kinds of relationships, if that's what you mean; friendships, a relationship with your family, etc. But BEING in a relationship equals dating so it's the same thing phrased differently.