Is it weird that I don't enjoy being with friends much?

I've come to the realization recently that I am in general happier when I am by myself rather than with my friends. It's not that I dislike my friends or that I don't enjoy hanging with them. But it's like I can only take so much, I can hang out for an hour or two then I find myself wanting to leave. It seems like everyone else has no problem hanging out with friends the entire day, and if they are alone for more than a few hours they miss their friends. I rarely ever miss my friends unless I haven't seen anyone for a couple of days.

Most Helpful Guy

• No it's not weird. You're introverted, that's all. I'm the same way, I'm alright hanging out with friends but I'm just as fine (if not better) when I'm alone. I feel so much more at peace and free when I'm by myself. What you described as being able to "only take so much" is the exact definition of an introvert. You don't gain energy from socializing, but rather spend it. The opposite is true for your personal rme by yourself- you recharge your batteries.

It's just the peaceful world of introversion :)

• That makes a lot of sense

• Brando has the correct answer. Your description of the situation is textbook introversion.

People who draw energy from socializing are called extroverts, while people who use energy when socializing are called introverts. Most people are extroverted, and don't even realize that there's another option. Nor can they understand why introverts are the way they are. That's why people like yourself sometimes feel stigmatized by your social preferences.

• And on top of what John said, use your introversion to your advantage. Don't compromise your personality, but rather embrace it (that's not the advantage). The advantage is that if you prefer what you prefer regardless of pressure from other people, then they will begin to find you intriguing. I've found that a ton of people find me odd at first. But I don't break and sacrifice my quirks in order to get them to leave me alone. I stand stubborn and people eventually seem to warm up to me.

What Girls Said 5

• That's normal. Some people are just less social than others. Don't feel as if you need to hang out with them. Just be a good friend and be there when they need you. IF you do that then it really doesn't matter how long you stay to hang out with them especially if its not something you want to do.

• is there something bothering u? because I went through the same thing, sometimes I didn't even want to go! but id drag myself there because I didn't want to upset them. But I only felt that way because I was going through a lot! And no matter who I talked to about my worries and problems, they'd still get to me! so that's whhy I ask.. hope you feel better soon!

• No nothing is bothering me in particular, and I've felt this way for as long as I can remember, so unless I have some really big underlying problems I am unaware of. But ya like you said it feels more like a chore to hang out with them, rather than something fun.

• dont do anything you don't want to do, maybe something happened that changed you and so you feel like they aren't fun or interesting anymore, this is absolutly normal! you are not antisocial, its just because you have changed (grew up) and so you look at them in a diff way.

Find people that interest and inspire you, have more than one group, like a really crazy loud one, and one you can relax and talk to, its nice to have more than a group! have a great life, whatever you decide to do :)

• I have two groups of friends: one that I can be with for hours on end without getting sick of them, the other that makes me feel like you described. So it could be that you're not really connecting with the people you're hanging out with...if it bothers you try broadening your horizons and spending some time with new people. If not, I you probably don't have to worry about it!

• I guess I do have a similar situation, the friends I was thinking of are my band mates, who I only see about once a week. My other friends live with me so I obviously see them a lot, but its also cool because since we live together you can just go to your room or do your own thing, it's not like you have to entertain.

• There's nothing wrong with that. It just means that you are a very introverted person. Yeah it's a bit weird meaning that most people aren't like that but to each their own

• Not weird at all. I'm pretty antisocial and don't like being around my friends too much for the most part because I always feel like I have to act interested in what they're saying and be totally present in the moment. It just feels like a lot of unnecessary work and burden for me. I much prefer doing my own thing.

• ok cool, good to know I'm not the only one. I get the whole acting interested part. Like tonight my friends were all telling stories about high school, when I wasn't in any of the classes with them, and I didn't really have any stories of my own, and didn't really have much input on their stories because I wasn't there.

• Yep. I'm sure it might be different if I had better friends, but since I don't, I'm perfectly content to spend the majority of my time with family or alone.

What Guys Said 4

• I have times like that. Sometimes you just want to change the scenery a tad, so we resort to friends, catch up on life, swap stories, but all in all, peace and solitude it just your thing. You're free to do what you want, when you want, and you don't have to cater to others needs. Sleep all day and you don't have to be worried about being rude. (Thank God for cell phones and texting!)

• i'm pretty much the same. I'd rather be alone usually with my headphones on. only sometimes do I want to be with other people.

• The last time I hung out with a friend was 2005. I don't miss it at all. Everyone in my town is intolerable. Maybe the entire world -- I don't see much evidence to the contrary. Uncouth swine as far as the eye can see.

• Damn dude 5 years? I was talking like going a week without seeing anybody., it's not like I hate humanity or anything

• Yeah well I am pretty special. :)

• You're just not as social. Not a bad thing, just you'll miss out on a lot of advantages.

• Advantages? Pft!

• I get what you're saying and that's partly why I was asking. I think I miss out on a lot of stuff which is why I feel like I should hang out more often.