Laptop reviews--help! Dell? Toshiba? Or spring for the Mac?

Not dating and relationship related, but.

i need a new laptop. I have been shopping around, but would love to hear some real advice. Laptop reviews, gag users? should I go ahead and splurge on a mac? is it worth the high price?

Most Helpful Girl

• If your going to use it for what most people do (internet, basic word processing, maybe watching some videos from netflix/hulu) and want a lot of battery life to wander around with and not think about anything, mac sure. In reality if that's all your going to use it for browse about for whatever computer is in your budget.

Traditionally Macs are better for graphics/music processing, whereas PC's are where its at for gaming, information processing (we're talking massive amounts of research data here) (physics major...), etc. This is all by and large true because there are simply more programs and accessories out there for a PC you can get without paying through the nose. And that will remain true, because that's how Apple keeps the viruses, etc down on their hardware: keeping a strangle hold on their products.

I prefer PC, but I like having the option of being able to dig in and fix/change/program my computer with less loops to jump through.

Like I see has been said already, PC's can kick the sh*t out of macs if you know a little of what your doing (and for a lot less $$$). I had a HP for 5 years who's screen only recently went out (not its computing ability) after I dragged it around the world with me. I only got a virus once, and that was no hard fix. Working on a borrowed Dell right now, and its just fine for all the basic needs.

I'm back on the market for a laptop as well, and I have every intention of getting a PC. I don't think paying through the nose for being a mac person is worth it.

My coworker just got a google os beta cloud computing computer for free...give it a few years and apple with get trounced out by opensource like that.

Thats my two cents. Heading to get my masters in electrical engineering/ computer technology in the near distant future.

What Girls Said 12

• hey young.

it really does come down to what you plan on using your computer for. I'm not going to be one of the people who says "i have a mac, and its awesome. so you should get a mac too." lol. what do you plan on using your computer for? are you a student? movie maker? photographer? gamer?

My Step 1 would be to think about what you really want and need out of a computer. If you're a student on a budget I would spring for a asus, dell or acer. They are definitely affordable and will perform any basic needs with ease. If your not really on a budget, but just want to make sure you get your money's worth, a higher end dell would be great, and so would a Sony Vaio( but keep in mind, Sony's CS is crap, my sister has been going through hell for months with them just to get her trackpad fixed). Samsung makes very nice looking laptops and if you're a fan of their products that could be something to look into. I own a MacBook Pro, but I had a hard time deciding between the pro and just the standard macbook. I chose the Pro because I'm a photographer and Macs are known for creative and business type people. If you just want a basic higher end laptop that is fast and reliable, check out the standard macbook. I think my computer was worth every cent, but it comes down to what you make of your machine. If you don't really know what you want out of your computer then chances are you won't utilize your computer to its full potential. Hope I helped. Good luck with your shopping!

• Well, I've used both. I shelled out the extra cash for a Mac for college since I'm majoring in graphics, but I still prefer PCs. Yes, "traditionally" Macs are better for those graphics but these days PCs are pretty much at the same level. And yes, Macs have fewer viruses, but that's only because the vast majority of people use PCs; why hit the minority? And the people who manage to screw up their computers with viruses usually aren't being smart about what they're downloading and viewing online and/or don't scan their computers regularly for viruses. If you're planning on doing gaming, it's PC all the way. While Macs are nice and sleek and all that, you're pretty much screwed if you want to play online RPG games. Very VERY few are supported for Mac. As far as price goes, well, for a PC about equivalent to the computing power I've got with my Macbook Pro, the difference is about $1000, depending on what brand you buy.

• MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC. okay :) Macs are worth every penny, they are amazing! I love every thing about my mac. It's great for watching movies, video chatting just everything. I would recommend it! Windows and pcs are just kind of sh*tty and they get slow after a year and macs never get slow!

• i have a mac too but they kinda suck in some aspects. more software for pc, macs can't play blu-rays on purpose, to push hd movie rentals/purchases through itunes. And lastly, don't know if you're mac does this, but for some reason it always drops my internet connection WIFI even tho the symbol says full signal strength. not sure if it is just safari that causes this but anyway, its a known issue about macs...

• How can I start this...

1.document formats- .pages format is propriety, as in, there are no documentation on how to create such files, if one were to find out, it be illegal to implement. if microsoft and apple just used ODF we wouldn't have these problems.

2.video chat -windows and linux can use skype easy

3.watching movies - VLC on windows or linux(with libdvdcss)

4.slow down- windows needs to defragment(this is how the filesystem was designed). linux has no such issue.

4.

• 5. kind of sh*tty- Wrong. a lot of apple price is the brand, their hardware is not worth the price. when it comes to desktop hardware things are way off. $150 for a 7200rpm 1TB hard drive is what it cost from them. Terrible, you can get the same drive for $54-60. A 2TB for $300, horrid, I can get one for $119. Radeon HD 5770 as a graphics card for $250? bah, you can get those for $129.

Dude they sell USB cables for $15, those are worth only $3-5

• I ordered my second DELL..an XPS top of the range etc etc. After 2 MONTHS waiting they said it would take another month...my friend convinced me to by a MAC...wow I am so glad that DELL never came...I LOVE my MAC but was very hesitant to buy it...woud'nt look back now but there are some things that don't work like Yahoo Sitebuilder so just make sure everythig you need works for what you're buying :)

• The safest way to go is if you are experienced with computers go with a PC, if you aren't so experienced go with a Mac. When I say experienced I don't mean go on the internet all the time, play games and chat. I'm talking about other things computers have to offer.

Personally, I go with a PC (HP for my gaming/home laptop, a Acer Netbook for my school laptop) just because in case of them breaking down I can just buy spare parts (which with the little money I have is worth it). But like everyone keeps saying it depends on what you are going for. If you really want something trendy and low maintenance (but easy to break), go with a Mac. PC's just need a bit more love.

• my boyfriends dad is a lead engineer for mac... and owns every kind, my boyfriend has a few also.. I have a hp which is nice but when I use my boyfriends I can definitly tell the diffrence with being faster and stuff like that. I would say mac.no computer is a perfect one, you'll find problems with any one , mac is good... I kinda want the ipad. so easy to take with traveling and it doesn't take up much space I think they go for $500

• I had a dell and it was a piece of crap. It was super slow, and not durable, and it wasn't even a cheap one. My bother has a toshiba that works pretty well. Its a solid laptop, not a bad way to go. I have a MacBook Pro right now and my gosh is it powerful. It's very durable if your clumsy like me, It's super super extremely fast, it's very user friendly and easy to figure out, and does a lot of cool thing. I love it a lot. So is it worth it? Definitely. There are other laptops that are pretty good, but in my opinion none of them quite compare to a Mac.

• spring for the mac! my mac died on me over the summer but I still got another because I never have any problems with viruses, etc. like I used to with my old dell

• Mac for sure. I switched 2 years ago, and don't regret it at all ! it runs so much faster, and I've had no problems with viruses. What kind of mac depends on what you're using it for... if you're a student, or using it for basic work, go with the regular macbook. if you're a photographer/will be using your computer 24/7 and running some pretty heavy duty programs, the macbook pro might be worth it.

happy shopping!

• Toshiba the dells I've tried suck and I never liked macs but do research and choose the one that seems like you'll like more

• I love my dell! :D

• I have Toshiba for about a year now and it works perectly fine. :))

What Guys Said 9

• If you're rich and don't know anything about computers than splurge on a Mac. Otherwise there will always be a regular windows laptop that can kick the sh*t out of a Mac for less, but you'd need to understand the specifications.

Mac is not as mass produced as most Windows laptops which means that their life span is pretty good, less hardware issues, and it's low maintenance. However, hardware issues can occur depending on how you care for the laptop.

As for Windows laptops, the safest brands you could stick to that are good is ASUS, DELL, ACER, TOSHIBA, and I'd keep HP/Compaq near the mid to low because if you end up buying a 1st generation computer/laptop that was just released; the hardware issue and bug chances are higher to occur.

The only thing that Mac does better than most companies is it's resolution and pixel quality. For example, why videos and pictures look so nice on a Macbook compared to let's say a low end Dell.

Hopefully this is informative for all of you because I am an Information Technology major after all. lol

• The people I've talked to who used dell weren't very impressed with it. Too many add-on programs apparently. Toshiba I've never used or heard about so I've no idea. I'd say an absolute negative on the mac. People tend to think "well they're powerful, so they're a good computer right?" no, not at all. If you're going into photography or advanced graphic work, intend to do very little recreational activity on your computer, and are planning to remain extremely consistent with maintenance then go for a mac. If you just want a computer to do some surfing, maybe a bit of gaming (not much), and to be able to run some 3rd party programs on, I'd suggest fork out 600-800 on a laptop. I've had a sony vaio for the past couple years and it's been fairly decent. The only problem is it has vista on it, but as far as I know all the recent models have windows 7. Bare in mind that it's a laptop, so you won't be able to replace anything like the motherboard, or video card and the gaming performance really won't be very good unless you spend a bit more.

• Depends on what you're using it for. If you're intending to make a statement and don't really care what operating system you use, a Mac is a good choice. If you've been raised on Windows and don't have any major issues with it, consider staying with the OS and go with a laptop made by Toshiba, Asus, or Sony. If you're a power user or gamer and need your laptop to replace a desktop, check out Alienware. Dell is also a solid choice and they have laptops that range from simple to more engaging tasks.

• They're worth the price if you can deal with the fact that you may run into compatibility issues. Roughly only 30% of the software out there is available in Mac-compatible versions, and you may get burned by this later on down the line when you decide you want or need a piece of software that it turns out isn't available for Mac and runs poorly when emulated.

• I agree. I love my mac, but I'm in college and my web based classes or other assignments typically call for a windows based program. I had to buy microsoft word for mac. Things like that are a pain, but overall I wouldn't trade it.

• Macbook pro! They're definitely the only laptop you should buy. I realize they are expensive though, so if you can't afford it I would go for an HP. Get a custom HP dv6t, they are the best laptops for the money, and you can deck it out as much as you want. Plus, they're high performance, and you can customize them to be better than the high end macbook pro's.

• mac!

i dealt with problems and issues with my pc for years and now I have a mac and its great. just the internet is a little slower.

• if you love yourself you will go out and get a mac. its more up front, but the life is wayyy better. you will own 2 of any other kind of laptop in the same time you own a mac.

• Why is this even a question? Apple all the way!

• mac