Atheists, would you date a Christian?

Well, so here's the deal.

I've got sort of a massive... crush, I guess you could say, on this one guy. I'm fairly certain he is an atheist, if not agnostic, and I'm a little bit skittish about telling him that I'm a Jesus freak.

I'm not ashamed of my faith, but I don't want to ostracize him, or put him on edge. A lot of people assume right off the bat that I'm going to start preaching damnation at them as soon as I mention that I'm a girl of faith, even though that is simply not the case. D:

So I'm in need of some opinions from my atheistic brothers and sisters.

Atheists, would you date a Christian?

Would it bother you if someone you were friends with and/or were kind of into turned out to be one of those weird people that adores going to Church, and would rather muck about in ruined buildings than have sex?

Do you think that their beliefs put a strain on your relationship?

Most Helpful Guy

• Muck about in ruined buildings?

It would depend on the extent of their beliefs. If she believed in god, that's fine. If she believed Jesus was our lord and saviour, as long as she didn't push it on me. If she goes to church every Sunday, probably not, but I'd take it on a case by case basis.

No sex before marriage, I'm willing to wait a while for her to be ready, but in the long run, no. That is, I would not marry someone I've never been with, I think marriage is a far more serious matter than sex and if she wasn't ready to have sex, she's not ready to get married.

I am one that is opposed to faith because it makes a virtue out of not thinking. Having faith that something is true means believing it is true no matter what evidence or proof is given.

In summary, would I refuse to date someone because she's christian? no. However it does make me cautious and want to dig deeper. When I first find out, I usually follow up with "Do you believe in evolution?" On its own, it's not definitive, but it's a good indication.

• xD I'm not quite convinced by evolution myself.

Thanks for your answer!

• From what I read, it sort of does. D:

What is it that drives evolution forward?

There's no reason for animals to have ever become more complex.

And yes. o.o

Please explain the improbability thing to me. =)

• Ok, I`m not going to be able to fit the explanation in 500 characters so I`ll keep it brief, if you`d like I can message you with a more detailed explanation.

Evolution is not improbable, the exact path that it took, while improbable, was just one of many possibilities that would have included life.

The mechanism is that gene replication is not a perfect process. When genes replicate, errors occur. Most of these are detrimental, some however are better suited to the current environment.

What Guys Said 13

• I wouldn't mind it as long as she's not trying to make me accept her faith as my own. I was already a christian for 16 years of my life and I don't plan on going back.

There would probably be some issues as a result of her religion and my propensity to question beliefs that I find to be irrational. If she's offended by having to defend her beliefs that would be a problem. But as long as she's a reasonably open-minded and intelligent person I wouldn't care if she likes to go to church and believes in the existence of a god.

• Thanks for your answer!

• Yes so long as they don't preach to me, I'd not mind getting married in their church or chapel... It's only annoying if you were saying what I believe is wrong and so on. I don't prioritise sex, but I'd not go to church unless she really wanted me to and if it wasn't in a pressured way. Beliefs don't put any stress on my relationships, it's a topic girlfriends and I haven't really talked about.

• Yes, I would date a Christian as long as she wasn't a real fundamentalist. If she can respect my beliefs I'll respect hers.That's fine but if she's way too into it I don't think it would work.

• Personally I wouldn't (or don't perhaps is a better wording). To be fair, I would understand if a christian couldn't date an atheist. Religion (or lack there of) is a pretty major part of a person's life, and compatibility of religion just makes sense in relationships.

• Of course. The deal is that neither of us is required to change, but both are open to challenge.

> ostracize

Alienate? He wouldn't be kicked out of the agnostics club for dating a Christian!

So far as straining the relationship, how does your faith constrain your engagement in a relationship?

• Sure I would. My father was atheist and my mother was devout, so I know what it's like to be brought up in a mixed household. I'd have no problem dating a christian girl.

• I have strong feelings against the entire concept of organized religion, so no, I wouldn't date any devoutly religious person.

Incidentally, I did once date a "Jesus freak" girl. She was also a sex freak. She didn't mind preaching and looking down on everyone who didn't believe the way she believed, but when it came to sex, she was all about it. Her reason? "I'm just not going to abstain."

There you go.

• D8

She doesn't sound like my kind of person.

Thanks for your answer!

• Absolutely. Christians can get incredibly kinky as they progress through various stages of devotion.

• Really? o.O

Could you explain?

• Well never mind that kinky comment - basically I find piety extremely pleasant. For example, Amy Grant. Love her!

• I wouldn't mind. As long as they don't push their beliefs on me...

• Yesh. owo No pushing allowed~ xD

Thanks for your answer~

• So long as I'm not being converted, I have no problem with it. Problems could arise when I meet the family, though.

Also, should it get to that point, kids could be a major issue- teaching them conflicting things isn't the best idea.

• Hm, I understand.

Thank you for answering!

• I'm atheist and I don't really care what the religeon of the other person is. I have to live with my mum, she's christian. I completely own her in every argument but she still believes, mainly because she's very stupid and can't understand the basics of science. I tried to explain the theory of relativity to her once *EPIC FACEPALM* and lets just say she's a little bit special... I'm glad I have my fathers genes though, so I'm smart like him. If I was nieve and dumb, and someone came up to me and said "there is a god", I would believe too, since I don't know how this universe works.

• o_O No need to get mean about it.

• I would not date an atheist as a Christian. I accept them as people but I want someone who believes in God if I were to date them.

• I understand. owo That makes sense.

• the word says you shouldn't be yoked with unbeleivers

• Talking about 2 Corinthians 6:14-18? I know the bible tells us not the partner with those who do not believe in Christ but damn it if that's not one LONELY ass road to walk.

• my girlfriends a christian.not lonely at all.so anyways.

• D:

Well, I wouldn't be having /sex/ with him~

What Girls Said 7

• No, I wouldn't.

I think that religion is illogical, and it would be difficult for me to be with someone who didn't recognize it as such.

We would likely have different views on a number of things, including sex, which is an important part of a healthy relationship for me. If things became serious and we decided we wanted to spend our lives together and have children together, I would not be okay with my children being raised Christian.

Also, I imagine it would be difficult on them to date me and have strong feelings for me when they would believe that I was going to hell.

• Hmmm this is a pretty late answer but I like this question a lot. I'm atheist, and I went out with a very christian boy in my school,.as in go to church weekly, be in the school christian seekers club, go on those religious retreats etc. it was a great relationship actually, we would always have debates and we had things to talk about besides the usual teenage crap. He was very respectful due to his religious background and my mom loved him...she's also christian. So yah I have, and it was a nice experience, I'd advise you to go for it he might learn something from you and you might learn something from him.

• Thanks very much for your answer! =)

• Yes, I could and would date a Christian.

I do think beliefs can put a strain, but I have this whole idea of "Christians." There are Christians and then there are "Christians"

You have the people who believe in God, maybe go to church every now and then but as soon as Friday hits they have no problem not being Christian. Those are "Christians" Believing in God doesn't make you one.

Then there are Christians who go to church, follow church, no pre-marital sex etc.

I would NEVER in my life save sex for marriage, so that wouldn't work out.

But if the person is just another hypocrite, sure, why not, but I'll be the first to run their asses up if they attempt to play the "holier than thou" position.

Nothing wrong with having faith in something.

I can respect all beliefs.

• Yes, as long as they can accept the fact that I'm not religious and feel comfortable with it. I don't really label myself as an atheist, or as anything else, but I'm definitely not Christian or seriously religious at all and I disagree with a lot of what religion does and says. But my boyfriend is Christian and I don't have a problem with it. I'm more worried that he will become frustrated with me for not being Christian.

• Probably not. We would have too many different values and opinions.

Plus I would never want to get married in a church or raise my children as religious unless that's what they chose.

But never say never I guess.

• Yes I would date a Christian as long as he wasn't too extreme about it. Like if he said, "this is what Jesus wants me to do" in order to justify an action...yeah I would have a problem with that...we might have to break up lol

• D: Even if it was something good?

Like "this is what God wants me to do" and then he goes and helps build an orphanage. xD

• I prefer that people do good things because THEY know it's a good thing to do... not because someone else wants them to do it.

• I lot of Christians enjoy doing what they do. o.O I think the fact that they're doing what they believe is God's work just makes it that much more rewarding emotionally~

• as long as he didn't try to force his religion on me yea.