What is your opinion on breakups over text messaging?

How many of you have broken up with your partner through text messaging... Do you regret it? Do you think it's better than to actually break up in person? Why did you do it this way? Or it's like whatever, a break up is a break up...?

• It's easier
  • Because I guess I'm a coward
  • Don't want to get too emotional
  • I would never do that
LOL allright thanks for your comments they're all real funny but sweet :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I haven't ever broken up via texting, but it's a bitch move, especially if they've been going out for at least a week. It's a cowardly bitchy pansy ass move and anyone who does it needs to be slapped like the bitch they are by my pimp hand.

• I should add, someone I was with for almost 5 years, basically broke up with me over e-mail or facebook or something. I forget. Something really impersonal and really cowardly. Ya, she's a bitch.

What Guys Said 2

• Breaking up through text messaging is BS.Its because the person is a coward and cannot do it face to face.

• its just so impersonal to do that...Its cowardly... Actually talk it out with the person face to face... That way you can communicate better and what not.

• Awww too bad there aren't many like you ;-)

• there are plenty like me, they are just hard to find :)

What Girls Said 6

• Breaking up over ANY means other than face to face is the cowards way out. You're potentially going to break their heart- you at least owe them to do it in a respectful way that your relationship and time together should warrant.

• honestly, I've done it. and to tell you the truth, it saves up a little on the heart-ache. Just a tiny bit because maybe he can't hear or see the pain in my voice/exterior. I agree it's extremely impersonal and I HATED it when it was done on me it is actually a bitch move but I can say, hypocritically maybe, that I when I did it, I felt more capable. I felt as if by not hearing his voice, I won't turn back on my decision. I don't know. I guess I just didn't have the guts to do it in person. Break-ups are bad either way you put it, but the guy I dumped through text was a complete tool anyway, I don't think he deserved a heart to heart.

• well... I answered that I would never do it, but now that I think about it. it would depend on their temper.

if the person was very hot tempered and could be set off by me breaking up with him I think I might have to do that unless I have a lot of my guy friends to be there to protect me just incase.

not that I would date a guy like that but some don't show things like that till later on in the relationship. I've never dated a guy like that but have friends who have had that experience one-too many times.

but if theyre not like that I would say it as least hurtful as possible face-to-face.

• to ansswer the question: other than the example I just gave, I think it'd be pretty cold, thoughtless and stupid to break up with someone over txt.

• I know it's not the right thing to do, but it made my last break up a hell of a lot easier. It's not like we saw each other everyday or could do a hop and a skip to each others' houses. That was one of the reasons why I broke up with my last ex...through text. lol

There were a bunch of other issues, including him and my so-called "close" friend trying to hook up. So I really didn't care if it was noble or not for me to break up with him through text.

Overall, I think if you can actually see the person, then break up with them face to face. Calling is the next best thing.

• To end a serious relationship over a text message would be inappropriate, but to end a relationship that started out over a text message with one, that would probably be acceptable.

• i hope that I would never do that because its a total bitch move, but if I did it would be because I am a coward