Paying for dinner on the first date?

Who should pay for dinner on the 1st Date? Should it be the Male, Female or Both (Split the check)? Does it matter who asked who out? Does it matter if it was from an online dating site?

Most Helpful Guy

• It downright offends me when women think men are obligated to pay. I'm not a cheapass and I make a good paycheck, but there is simply no logical reason for it at all. I've had this argument with guys and girls and you'll find common answers:

1) "Because its always been that way"

Bullsh*t. Women in the Pre-80s had a rough time getting jobs and there was a social mentality that expected them to stay home and take care of the kids. That's where this tradition came from. We don't live like that anymore. Everyone has or can get jobs. In fact the economy sucks so bad, it is almost required. I've been out with women who make more than I do!

2) "If he pays, them maybe I'll have sex with him"

Sex isn't something for trade anywhere but the strip club. I don't go out with strippers.

To me, it makes it seem like women are more valuable than men. They aren't. There is pretty close to a 50/50 ratio in the world. There is no supply and demand problem.

Thing is, most guys will pay. They don't know why they have to either. They think it is "proper", but don't know why. They just accept it and figure they'll never get any tail if they don't pay for it. Its not true.

I find there are a lot of women in my city who downright make a habit out of going out with heaps of men and never paying a dollar, just to stay entertained and nothing more. I mean, I'd love to find someone to take me skydiving, if they were silly enough to pay for it.

When we have a 6 month relationship going, it is a whole new story. If I make more, I'll pay more. But never ever do I want to be obligated.

There is a saying "I am independant woman...until the check comes." I think it explains the hypocrisy of it pretty well.

Sorry, my pet peave!

What Guys Said 6

• Whoever wants. He may if he want and she allows. If she wants to pay for herself she should be allowed and not pressured. If he does suggest paying it is just very very very little impolite for me. But just a little.

It is little bit awkward if she pays for both, but possible.

• Since the male is usually the guy who asked her out, he is the payer.

If I were a girl and the guy made me pay for my portion, that is his last meal with me.

Free food fo sho!

• guy no exeptions

• Who asked to go out on the date? Do you feel that he will expect sex if he pays?

Generally it is the guy who pays but times are changing and women will have to pay up.

• if it's a date, especially a first date, it's proper for the guy to pay

• male always pays. no, I would be uncomfortable with if my girl paid for my food.

What Girls Said 2

• well its a traditional way if a guy pays for the food but for me I think the guy and girl should split it, I'm not the kind of girl who thinks things should be equal and feel like if the guy pays the full check I have to give something in return but only for 1st dates!

• I think it's one of two things- either split it even or whoever asked the other person out.