Why is having a prom date so important to some people especially girls?

I went by myself with my other boys and had an amazing time

Most Helpful Girl

• My date was just a friend, and I went with him as a favor haha. It was my best friend's brother, nothing serious. I don't think I would've gone with a guy if it was a legit date. All of my friends went with guys who were just friends. We only invited people so that we could all have a good time together, we didn't actually want dates lol

But I think a lot of people are looking to keep a night that's supposed to be special from turning into something embarrassing or just plain miserable. They don't want anyone to make fun of them or feel bad because they don't have a date, they don't want to feel like the fifth wheel if all of their friends have dates, or they simply don't want to be alone. It seems trivial, but at the same time, I can understand why it matters to people.

What Girls Said 5

• No idea, I went to prom with one of my best friends (a girl) and I had a great time. Since high school I've joined a sorority and we have formal and semi-formal every year, for the past 2 years I pretty much freaked out over finding a date. I brought gay guys a couple of times and had some of my sisters find a date for me which wound up for the night just being kinda awkward and finally last semester I just went alone and I honestly had more fun. I didn't have to babysit a guy who didn't know everyone and I was able to just hang out with my friends. I don't think I'd even want to bring a guy I wasn't dating because then there's that moment at the end of the night where it's like "are we gonna hook up?" which (unless I was dating him) the answer's probably no.

• Because it's depicted as one of those moments that "has to be special". The date, the formal wear, dinner before,and the pictures of course. From what I hear at least, I unfortunately didn't go to mine should of but didn't.

• Formal prom, dinner etc? I never heard about that in Europe, except in some snob schools (but the snob schools aren't co-ed, thus no prom dates there)

• Yeah..I have NO idea. I went to prom and am going to senior ball without a date because I specifically don't want one. I don't care what people say or think, I just want to dance and have fun with my friends.

• I don't think it should be. IT was not important to me at all.

• Because that night of all nights is really special.Its prom and girls want to go with a date, someone that they can share it with and have a special time with.Its really important to some girls because some think its A MUST TO HAVE A DATE.I personally don't think a date is important for prom though it would be nice if I have one for my prom in May. And truthfully I don't know if I should go to prom or if I want to for that matter.Some of my friends have boyfriends and dates already for prom but the majority don't or are just gonna go with a close guy friend or just friends.We have talked about prom and I have mentioned of not going and they all tell me that I should or that they will drag me there themselves lol. I would like to ask one of my close guy friends but there's a lot of things that prevent me from asking especially because he's 22 and I'm 17 among other things.But whatever its months away I'll just let time go by and who knows what can happen in those few months before prom

What Guys Said 1

• Girls want to be wanted so they feel worthless if no guy asks them to prom. Obviously my answer is on the extreme side but that is the general reason behind it. Guys want to be wanted just as much in my opinion but we're more willing to pretend like we don't care and also have fun with our guy friends to avoid thinking about personal problems with women. My problems always disappear when out with the guys lol.