Would you date someone who is not of your religion?

I'm an agnostic, but I'm curious as to if people would be willing to date a hare krishna if they are Mormon, a catholic if they are hindu, etc.

Have you done this before? Did it work out? Did you just avoid the topic?

• Yes, I would
  • No, I wouldn't
I've dated many religious girls, the most recent one being a fervent Anglican (sit, kneel, stand, singt type) and I would go to her church and participate minimally. She would be annoyed by my silly dissenting antics but we still loved each other.
So it worked for me. But I agree that if you bring up the actual issues a person has with that belief, which I often do, it causes a rift, even between friends and family. I don't think religion should effect how or who you love, love is too pure

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on how deeply involved they were in their "religion". I certainly wouldn't date anyone blindly religous since they would never be able to deal with me on an intelectual level. I don't want a preacher irritating me while I contemplate on the essence of life, the physics and origins of the universes, time, mathematics, whatever.

Also no one with religious restrictions to their lifestyle which I cannot/do not share in (vegan, no alchohol, fasting, body "modification"). It's too incompatible. Our main core principles have to be the same.

In short, sure there are reassonable acceptions to anything. But absolutely no "tom cruises". Never.

• Yay. So I guess we agree and can date.

Kidding.

• your third sentence had me sold on a thumbs up easily, but the arbitrary tom cruise comment made it the best answer by far! in short, if I could take you for drinks I would

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 24

• I'm an atheist, and I don't think I could date a religious person.

• I want to say that I'd be OK with dating someone of a different religion, but in the end I want my children to raised Catholic like me. Everyone in my family is Catholic, even the people who weren't when they mairried into the family have converted. I'm not one of those people that would shove my religion on anyone else but I want them to respect my choice. This is a hard subject cause you never know what people are going to say about it.

• I'm Unitarian Universalist. I respect every one. ANd I don't care what religion they are so long as they respect me and allow me to have my beliefs and don't make me go to their church. And so long as we can raise our kids to choose what they want to believe and don't push them into my his religion I don't care. Every one should be educated and choose the path they want to follow, and that's how I'm going to raise my kids.

• I'm agnostic so I don't really care. Unless the person was a Scientologist or something hardcore crazy like that.

• My ex was Jewish, and even though we came from different religious backgrounds (my family's hardcore Catholic), our relationship actually lasted the longest. My family accepted him with open arms, and his family equally adored me. My dad even treated him like a son, and said that he would act as the father that (my boyfriend) never had. We were surprisingly close with each others' families, when you'd think it would be the opposite. Maybe this is a rare case, but I actually like to think that it was so obvious that we cared about each other that it transcended to our families, regardless of religious differences.

• yea sure but then again I also represent 2 different religions so I would be OK with it - it is just a religion - religion never defines a person! PLus my whole life I was prejudiced against so I know how it feels to be called names just because of who and what I represent and it hurt and when people say hell no or ew to me - I just go see this is why I believe religions should die out!

• No. I'm Christian and I can't see myself dating someone that wasn't. Its not only a belief but a lifestyle...our differences would just add conflict.

• No I wouldn't. More so because my parents would prefer if I dated and married a guy who's of the same religion as me and since I've been brought up like this I generally am attracted to guys who belong to my religion anyway. Little odd but meh.

• yeah I would, I wouldn't find it a problem. if he had to pray everyday 3 times a day then he can do it as long as he doesn't expect me to join him. if it was a family occasion that would obviously be different and I would respect his religion. but in everyday then he can do whatever he wants =)

• I`m not sure I would, to be honest with you.

• It doesn't matter to me, as long as he doesn't force me to practice his religion's practices or try to convert me.

• I'm agnostic, I can date someone religious if they don't talk about it and don't change my lifestyle. I think I wouldn't marry someone religious and would probably end up with another agnostic.

• im Catholic and I'd date someone outside my religion or someone with no religion at all as long as they can respect my religion and I will in turn respect theirs.

• i have. we both acknowledged that there is a higher power and left it at that.

• religion is the same b***s*** put in different words. people are just crazy...

• im not religious, as long as they didn't expect me to participate or convert I wouldn't care

• yeah I would.

• I'm agnostic too, very spiritual though... I have many discussions regarding religion with some of my friends... and I just can't understand why they believe in such things (I apologize, I don't want to offend anyone, really, it's just how I feel) for many reasons .. I wouldn't be capable of dating someone with different opinions and beliefs, when it comes to this topic.. unless it's not too fanatical and obsessed

• Going through similar thing. We decided not to talk about it. He's atheist, I'm agnostic

• Thats silly, don't you think? There is not much that separates agnostics from atheists and I think a good healthy discussion could ensue from your dialog . at least in comparison to one between say a Muslim and an atheist

• Totally depends on how much they are tied to their religions and its practices..

I would still date a man with different religious views as me, I'd respect his choice as long as he respected mine. If he tried to convert me (If I was saying I was religious) It would be buhbye to him.

But I honestly could care less..religions whatever.

• Nope.

• i don't think so. I mean I go to a catholic high school and religious beliefs disagreements can get pretty heated. It also becomes a problem if kids got added in

• Yes, I'm Christian and he was atheist, but he converted ;P. I have a question though but I hope you don't get offended. Why did you choose to get a tattoo of a cross? Again, I'm just curious.

• i used to be a strong christian, but I was also a blind follower

and my entire unit got cross tattoos when we were deployed :P haha

• Interesting peer pressure, thanks :).

• No,i never did that.

will never do it because it will never work and we will have different views in things.

we will argue all the time and we will fight like crazy and I don't want that in my relationship,i date not to get more problems!

What Guys Said 10

• Of course would, but let's not overlook the possible diffficulties if the relationship develops into marriage.

• I've mostly dated people with a different outlook on religion than mine

• I don't have a religion, and I wouldn't date someone who does.

• it would be awkward I'm an athiest and I say stuff like god damnit etc..

• haha I didn't think about that

• lol it seems like it would be awkward due to completely different beliefs too so many quotes I've heard in movies or seen on some game/website have seemed really ya know hard to believe..

i was talking to some friends I know online and one said his mom forced him to geta job beign a janitor in a church and we all said yeah we definitely couldn't do that..

• It would be a bit difficult, but I think I could manage it. In fact, all my ex's were non-religious. I don't really seem to have a problem with it.

• To me, I find religion repulsive as an idea, I dated christian girls even not practicing ones and it came down to a difference in mind not in actual beliefs, and it was often uncomfortable to be completely myself.

After finding someone who was an atheist like myself the world seemed glorified and wonderful and are ability to argue and solve problems and share has been the best yet.

Id say your belief system is part of a core set of values that should match your partners. I would only forgoe this if there is another part of your lives you share that overpowers this. ex. An intense love of playing legos together for hours and hours a day.

• I would and have. Well, I guess. Considering I'm agnostic and she was Christian (her parents being deeply religious). Not sure how great a Christian she was though. Like most Christians, she apparently fails at keeping to the way a "good Christian" should act. Oh well.

• I am agnostic like you but yeah I could date somebody from an organized religion. I don't think they can be to conservative though because then she would probably always try to get me to convert. As long as she doesn't force any beliefs onto our children and they can choose whether or not to be religious I would be okay with it.

• my society is very strict &it'd b tough disobeying my parents,but if I do find one,who's worth it...i may rethink.

thou probability of tht event are negligible...so I choose b

• Yeah I would, But I wouldn't date a religious nut who constantly tries to correct or change my Ideas about things, astronomy, physics etc...

• i couldnt, I'm a massive racist