How old would your child have to be before you allow him/her to date?

Tell me why also. (=

Why does it matter if its a girl or boy?

Most Helpful Guy

• I have none yet, but there have been plenty of discussions like this with my girlfriend regarding things this way.

I would probably limit my son to dating until he was around 13, but that doesn't mean limiting him from having a girlfriend, just acting on it, if you know what I mean. He wouldn't be allowed to fully spend time with her such as taking her out to movies without adults or spending massive amounts of time with her in his bedroom and such, but I wouldn't restrict him at any age having a closer than normal relationship with a girl.

A daughter I would be a little more protective over, and probably do the typical dad screen process where before it is ever fully official (in my eyes) I would have to meet them, have dinner with them and ask them questions. Id like it to be around the age of 16 at least, before they started dating to the fullest, simply so she is a little bit more aware of dangers such as sex, drugs and pregnancy, and can defend against them a little better. Like with a son, I wouldn't mind her having closer than normal male friends, but I would keep a closer eye on those and how they are developing than that of my sons female friends.

The matters between a girl and a boy because a boy is a robust muscle head, more or less. He can smash through relationships and is in very little danger of being raped, molested and made pregnant (lol.)

The daughter would be more emotional and definitely more fragile, possibly falling into a relationship she thought was going to be the best thing ever and ending up being used for sex or pregnant, so I would want to defend against that.

Something like that anyway. Interesting question. :) I hope I answered it right.

• Haha, thank you for your answer.

You'd be a great dad!

I understand and see your points on the issue .

But if your daughter asked why , what would you tell her?

Why not watch your sons female friends more closely?

• If my daughter asked why I would probably point all important parts like rape, being used, getting pregnant, throwing away/changing her lifestyle for nothing and so on. Those kind of things she'll just probably nod and say I'm overreacting about, really. :)

For the son, it's just generally accepted that males are emotional bricks when they are younger to relationships, and they are also less likely to be pushed into stuff than girls. At any rate, I'd just tell my son not to get used by her.

• Yes, she would and then complain to her friends about it. (:

Ok, that's understandable.

What Guys Said 5

• 15/16 or so. They need to focus more on school anyways and they shouldn't be worrying about sex or anything related until 15/16. And since I know sex is gonna come up when they're dating.. well ya.

Seriously though, if they get pregnant or get a girl pregnant and were dating without my permission, sorry, but their ass is gonna be in big trouble. Disrespecting my authority! :| but ya, I'd try and logically and calmly explain way before hand the importance of not rushing into things, waiting, focusing on friends/school and worrying about dating until 15/16. Hopefully they'll listen :\

• Thank you for your answer.(:

You seem like you're going to be a lax but strict parent at the same time type. (:

cool

• Well that's kinda how my dad was :P basically "if you get arrested, enjoy jail cause I'm not getting bailing you out" :P kept my brother and I in line and made us good people (as well as my mom who instilled good work ethic in us where as my dad encouraged us to try and work for ourselves and such, so a good balance) and ya. I'd say I'd probably be more like them.

• Very nice . (:

• I'd leave it up to them... I'd just keep tabs on them to make sure they aren't doing anything stupid

• 21 years old for a females and guy 13 lol

• HAhaha, I'm going to pretend that is reasonable for a couple of min and ask why. lol 21 for female highly unlikely.

• My daughters will never be allowed to date anyone.

• And why is that?

• Because I'm the Dad and I said so?

• Ha, be prepared for teenage rebellion if that's your answer for everything. (:

• If its a girl 30 because its a girl. boys I wouldn't care.

• Haha my dad said 35 ,but why don't you care for the boy dating?

Why 30 for the girl ?

• actually I wouldn't care about either as long as no sexual act where being performed untill they where at least 17 theirs a time and place for everything first drink, bong hit, bj, rusty trombone, shocker, ect and that age is 17

• Haha , I have no idea what some of those things are ,but okay I guess that's pretty reasonable.

What Girls Said 10

• I wouldn't have an age limit. Pre-teens and teens are interested in the opposite sex. I'd rather my child be able to talk to me about things than hide things from me and date in secret. It's hard to be able to talk to, teach, and guide your children when they don't feel like they can talk to you about what's going on in their lives. I'd rather take them out to the movies or a restaurant or the mall then to have them sneak around and lie and say they're hanging out with one of their friends when they're really off somewhere with a boyfriend or girlfriend.

• yeah I always said I'd start mine at 16 but it turned out not to be so realistic on my part kids start relationships earlier than they used to apparently. I'd still rather she wait but like you said at least knowing keeps me from looking like the fool while she sneaks around. I'd rather she was able to discuss stuff with me.

• Thank you for your answers and yah I agree with you on that. Selfishstars (:

Thank you also justagirl42

• 16.

---for both.

• Thank you for your answer.

• I wouldn't put an age limit on them either. Instead, I would say that they can date whenever, but just emphasize that school is important. That's what my mom did with me, and I never felt pressure to have a boyfriend or girlfriend and did really well in school. Obviously, everyone is different. But, I will trust my kid is smart, and won't screw up their life at a young age with pregnancy or anything like that.

• Thank you for your answer. (:

True , everyone is different it just depends on what works.

But, if your two year old said " Mommy I have a boyfriend" or " Mommy I want one", what would you do in that situation?

• I wouldn't set an age limit. Why? I can't be bothered to tell you.

• it don't matter if its a boy or girl, the least age would be 16 but I prefer 18

• Ok, thank you. But, why?

• :), yup.

• Thanks for your answer.

• 21

No seriously 17, either a boy or girl.

I would really want them to focus more on school until 17 or 18

• Haha, OK that's very understandable . Yup , school is important. But what would you do if he/she was sneaking around behind your back?

• I would never let them leave the house again if I thought they were sneaking around behind my back.They have their whole lives to date and dating is hard enough when you are an adult, so I wouldn't want that stress to put on my child, I'd want them to find out who they are first, what they want out of life and then worry about dating when they got a little older and were mature enough for it.lol just be happy I don't have kids or want them

• Haha, OK I understand what you're trying to say and agree. Plus, dating in high school gets really complicated...

• probably 18. just the right age for me

• OK and why might that be? Is because they are legally considered an adult now and can make or should be able to make their own decisions?

• no its not like that. I just think for me 18 is the right age. :)

• It's fine. I was just wondering about your reasons for 18. [=

• 16/17 better if they were 18/

• Ok, thank you. But, why?

• I think you would know how to handle it better for sure. But maybe if you wait until your older I think you're dodging the bullet. Like your knowing when your 16/17 that it not going to last you don't need to see it to believe it. like seeing the flames before it happens. I dunno.

• Yah, with age comes wisdom. Well, most of the time haha. Yah, I get what you are saying.

• 16 at least

• Thank you for your answer.(=

But why?

• Probably 15. But anyway I prefer to trust them and give them "permission" because otherwise they are going to do it secretly. But I would say the «it's your teenage life, it's better if you have friends ... » speech.

• Ok and thank you for your answer. (: