Was my date's behavior rude?

last night I went on a date with a guy I met on a dating site. I brought enough money to cover myself like always. at the beginning of the night the guy said "don't worry about money, I'll take care of everything". I asked if he was sure, he said yes, and I said thank you. I ordered a glass of wine with dinner and a martini afterward, and I tried to pick the cheapest ones so it wouldn't cost him too much. when the check came he told me he needed money for my drinks. is it just me, or was that rude? I mean when he said he'd take care of EVERYTHING doesn't that mean drinks too? ps, I paid for my drinks and didn't say anything but I don't think he'll be getting a second date.

oh ps this dude bought 4 drinks for himself. just sayin.
my entree was $15 and my drinks were $18 together. his entree was $35 and his drinks were $48 together.

Most Helpful Guy

• wtf? He probably assumed you wouldn't buy half the frickin restaurant. Yeah he said he'd cover EVERTHING, but he made a miscalculation. Have you never done that? Honestly it's shallow and lame to refuse to date a guy because there was a screwup like that. He was probably really damn embarrassed, himself.

• two drinks isn't half the restaurant. I bought two drinks and an entree. that's all.

• I don't know the situation or what was going through the guy's head, but really if it was just an honest mistake you shouldn't be angry at him for it.

• That comment really had no useful baring on the situation...

What Guys Said 7

• Hahaha, what an absolute loser! I've heard some funny stories about dating site dates. Don't feel too bad; you got off easy.

• in that kind of situation, you need to remember that he may not have enough money for more than one drink. his opinion of dinner may differ a little from yurs. sadly, it still falls into his lap. you gotta be more prepared than that. I always have a backup for the financial side of the date

• He is probably just bad at maths and did not realize while you both were ordering that he does not have enough money for everything, but I would not classify it as rude unless he had money left in his wallet, but he is probably selfish if you compare your and his parts of the bill and not have enough money for it

• I think you over indulged and used him you're such a bitch

• definitely rude. if your gonna cover dinner that includes drinks. simple as that.

• Maybe he decided by the end of the date that you'd be a bad investment.

• It cool that they let 20 year olds order wine and martinis where your from. =D

What Girls Said 6

• Yes, it was rude.

Only because at the beginning he said he'd "take care of everything".

you didn't mess up by getting 2 drinks. And exactly, he got 4. If he hadn't said anything at the beginning, and at the end of the date he merely paid for everything but the drinks, he wouldn't be such a big tool. He'd be a guy who probably couldn't afford everything. Then again, he got himself 4 drinks. So asking for you to pay for your two and only stating his effort to pay at the end of the date would still be rude. Only if he hadn't gotten drinks and you had, and he only said he'd pay at the end of the date (minus your drinks) would make him not a tool.

Honestly, why say you'll fork the bill at the beginning of the date if you're not prepared to handle it?

Walk awaaaaaay.

• That's you and your boyfriend though.

This was a first date.

It's not refusing to pay the bill that's the deal breaker, so much as the SAYING you'll pay, and backing out at the end from the whole duty.

• I think you're being too harsh on him. He doesn't know you and is probably just used to someone only going for the meal without the extra drinks, so he was expecting that. You really shouldn't base the date or him on that. If you were curious, all you had to do was ask. Think of him and the rest of the date. Communication is important and you shouldn't judge people so quickly. It's how you feel though. Go with what you think is best. Good luck!

• Oh and appreciate that he paid for you! You weren't even expecting that, remember? You could've had to pay it all yourself. What would you have done with a guy like that? You got a free meal. It was a misunderstanding. Should've said how you felt to him or asked about him doing that.

• Your current update of the prices only makes him an even bigger tool.

• me and my boyfriend usually just take turns. it shouldn't be a big deal. I would give him another chance. money isn't everything, although it is important.

• Just realized I commented on the wrong post.

Ahem.

That's you and your boyfriend though.

This was a first date.

• RUDE. he should have said that he'd be short in the first place. or at least say what you or you can't order. haha. :D funny guy though. it might have took him so much pride to ask you to pay for your drinks. did you enjoy the date anyway?

• he's not rude,he's dumb