Is it normal to be anxious when you are on a date?

This is my first time dating I broke up from a long term relationship in September, every time I go on a date I feel very anxious and like I am crawling out of my skin, I am also prone to anxiety though. Is this my body's way of telling me this guy is not for me or do most people experience this? And if I did meet the right guy would the chemistry be so good that I would not be so anxious? I never experienced this sort of discomfort when I was with my ex I always felt very comfortable around him.

Most Helpful Girl

• I know what you mean.

Its a combination of excitement yet fear.

You are scared of whether or not this guy is right for you, how he will treat you, if you will like him or if he will like you, if he will ask you out on a second date, if you will be official, how long you guys will date, will you fall in love? What's going to happen? And a part of you isn't ready because giving yourself to someone else means admitting and realizing that the relationship that recently ended is officially over and you second guess yourself if you are doing the right thing.

The rest of you is excited for this new adventure, that he COULD be a wonderful guy and treat you right and that you could both hit it off and start a wonderful relationship.

Fear and excitement feel very similar, and t someone with an Anxiety disorder, like myself, they feel almost exactly the same.

• just reverse the gender pronouns and I feel the same way...and have anxiety disorder(s) as well, not surprisingly.

• Fear and excitement are indeed very similar, but with fear, I feel like my insides are shaking and I want to go home and hide from everything and everyone. If I'm out, I just want to go outside and get some fresh air and/or take a walk. WIth excitement, I get butterflies in my stomach and wanting to jump up and dance lol.

What Guys Said 3

• this is normal, lemme guess tis kinda like the feeling you get before you go on a rollercoaster that you haven't been on before...its like you're nervous but excited, you don't know what to expect...so this is normal for both guys and girls, just take things slow and go at your own pace, don't jump the gun and have fun! good luck

• guys get nervous too

U have to do casual fun things when your first dating so that you don't have all this weird pressure.

• Also, although in modern day society everyone thinks gender roles are the devil, the reality is if you were with a guy who was comfortable and relaxed while you were hangin out, you would pick up on his vibe and feel the same. I don't care what feminists say, the guy usually leads the mood.

• if you aren't anxious on a first date, it's not worth going on. :)

What Girls Said 5

• I view it as normal. You may not be very familiar with this new guy but that's the purpose of dating; to get to know each other and see where things go. You obviously weren't nervous with your ex because you had been together for awhile. So I don't think this is anything you need to worry about! It happens.

• I'm also anxiety prone, and I ALWAYS feel nervous on a date with someone new.

• I believe it's normal, it happens to me.

• I know a few girls that get very anxious/nervous on dates, especially with the guys they really like...more pressure. It does seem strange though that you weren't uncomfortable around your ex boyfriend?

• I also have anxiety so I can understand exactly where you are coming from,I went on a date with a guy I really liked and I felt nervous and anxious,I know it's normal to feel nervous on a date, but if you're an anxious person I think it can make it worse to the point you aren't just nervous but you're anxious as well...The next date I went on,I drank chamomile tea before I went on the date and I honestly find that it really helps calm you and that guy I went on those dates with is now my boyfriend!

Seriously try out chamomile tea! And when you're on the date,if all else fails,just excuse yourself to the toilet and go take a breather and count backwards,it sounds silly but it helps distract your mind from being anxious.