Sneak in that question?...Or concerned he had offended me?

Okay, so everyone says that if a guy asks a girl whether she has a boyfriend or not, then he is interested in her. However, he didn't just outright ask me and I can't tell what he was going at...

He sits next to me in class and his best friend sits behind me...so I either overhear their conversations or get included into them. The two of them were talking about a friend of theirs who was going to spend time with his girlfriend that afternoon instead of with them (its their 6 month anniversary, after all). The guy just shakes his head and says "boyfriends are so dumb". He looks at me and pauses and just shakes his head. He quietly repeats himself. I ask him why he thinks that. He answers with "cause guys who date are dumb". I don't know what to say to this so I just kinda smile and shake my head as if I think he's crazy. More silence. He says "girlfriends are dumb". It somewhat seems like he's just talking to get a response out of me? But its just uncomfortable & I don't know what to say. I can't tell if he's joking or bitter or what. I think he picked up on that cause he suddenly looked serious and was like "wait, you're not dating someone are you?" I say "no, I'm not".

What in the world was that conversation? I was starting to like this guy and now I'm afraid he isn't big on relationships..

and some background info about me and him: link & link & link

You can answer solely based of this or in combination with the other links. I would greatly appreciate ANY feedback!

Most Helpful Guy

• In the few experiences I have had, this means he said something to his friend, which he then realized you overheard him. The shaking of the head, he is trying to give you an obvious clue he did something stupid and he didn't mean it. There is one other possibility in which he said boyfriends are dumb because he thought you were dating someone else. He could also be trying to fit in and agree with his friends until you overheard. The last possibility could be it was purposefully overheard to keep you guessing.

• honestly, I think he says stuff just to say stuff...to be mysterious or random or whatever...

What Guys Said 5

• He sounds young, and his mate sounds even younger.

Girls mature a lot quicker than lads.

Lads also have an ego to build at that age. And they will say things amongst themselves that they don't really mean.

A lot of the time, guys will say "girls are dumb", because they don't know how to handle speaking to them, and it's easier for them to just say "they are dumb" and that way don't have to deal with the problem.

Do you like this guy? Do you like this guy to take him to one side and ask him on his own if he wants to go out. Strong girls are quite appealing. If he does go out, be prepared to put up with his dorky mate, who will turn up the "dumb" routine even more if he feels your taking his friend of him. Now, ask that question again, "how much do you like this guy".

• If you want to become the girl who thinks she is the girlfriend of this guy who thinks girlfriends are dumb and guys that act like boyfriends are dumb, go right ahead - you will learn a valuable lesson.

• he's quite the sarcastic guy...he could have been kidding...

• I think you like him physically and want to get together - basically looking for ways to rationalize the weird or asshole things he says or does. This story is as old as the world - many girls that dated assholes, actually knew that, they just chose to explain away the obvious warning signs, so to themselves it would seem rational to go ahead with hooking up with that person. Tell you what, ignore what I said and post an update here in 2-3 months

• I'm not actually going to act on this...I'm graduating in 2 months.

I do see your point & it would be hard to convince you that I'm not defending him...I've pinpointed jerks (many of them quite attractive) and the thought of dating them has never appealed to me. I'm not some desperate girl who hooks up with anyone to feel better about myself.

• He is trying to get information. He is either into you, or he just wants to make sure you weren't offended by the comment. If you have prom coming up and you are able to go. Hint at the fact you don't have a date. Just help him along a bit.

• Prom is this Saturday...so groups, dates, and all that is already set...

I don't know if he is able to go anyways since he was caught setting off fireworks at one of our football games lol

• honestly, I think your question is too difficult to digest. sorry.

• The kid is obviously a little douchebag who doesn't know what he's talking about.

• hahaha I sometimes get that vibe from him

What Girls Said 3

• Move on to greener pastures. Listen to what honeyItsme said!

• I'm not going to further anything...was just curious

• This kid just doesn't know what he wants, to tell you the truth.. I mean there are a lot of people out there saying this and that about relationships you know.. However I really don't get the sense here that he expresses what he thinks nor what he thinks is relied upon consciousness.. You just have to stay cool..

• he may have meant something by it or he may not have. honestly, our guesses are just as good as yours.

• i figured that. it was worth a shot, asking though. thanks.