Dating vs Hanging Out?

I met this wonderful girl last week. We had drinks for a few hours and got to know each other. I really think things went well. At the end of the night she gave me a hug and said we should hang out again. I'm just wondering if this is all just friendly? I have nothing against it if it is. I actually got introduced to her from a girl I went out on 2 dates with (they are both friends). I really liked her, but she told me she wasn't feeling it between us. Somehow I managed to stay friends with her. She told me she put in a good word for me. Could this be another friends outing?

Well I've been just taking it easy, because too much too soon freaks people out. I barely text. So tomorrow we are having lunch. She kind of asked in a roundabout way after I teasingly bragged about going out to eat at one of my favorite restaurants. She replied that we should both go there sometime. I said I could go again. She: this weekend? Me: Yes, you wanna go with me? Her: hahaha yeah silly.

So my question is, do you think these are dates or just hanging out? Is there a difference? I don't know if I should be on my game, anticipating the next move or just chill.

Thanks everyone. I have the answer to this. It didn't work for me, she said I didn't trust her and we haven't seen each other in weeks. We were going to try to be friends but I think that may be just awkward now since she has her mind up that I'm some jealous time bomb.
To answer: yes they were dates. That may of been the downfall. I should of never paid for her meals, or anything really. She said I didn't own her when I assumed their was a relationship blossoming.

Answer for others if you want.

Most Helpful Girl

• yeah, you've been hanging out so far as good friends...but she seems to like you and is trying to arrange seeing you again- so now you're going to this restaurant and it most likely is a date. Watch her behavior and what she says, it is most likely going to tell you if she's into you as more than a friend or not...if she seems like she is, then you should start acting like it is a date! And then ask her at the end to go on a date in the next few days or whenever...then you'll have said it out loud and there won't be any confusion.

What Girls Said 10

• These are definitely dates. A girl does not initiate a hug with someone she does not like. Unless we have been friends for a while. She also likes you because she is flirting with you. It sounds like she was trying to get you to ask her out, which is why she replied with you silly.

Take her out and if its another good date ask her out again at the end of the date. If she accepts then she is into you. If there is hesitation by stalling or saying maybe then move on. Good Luck.

• Great! You are right about the hug thing. I guess I didn't give that one much thought. Her friend that I liked before never hugged me after 2 dates and she wasn't into me.

I guess I just don't want to scare her away or get too serious too soon. I'll definitely ask her for another date if all goes well.

• I've notice a lot of guys like to use "hanging out"...it leaves things open to whatever happens happens. No pressure, or expectations.

• I think it's a date. Don't be too aggressive though because nothing is ever certain.

• Hangout =)

• Definitely dates! :-)

• i don't know

• dating=potential relationship, hanging out= potential hook up

• I think it's a date, but the term "date" is a lil...too strong of a word. "Hanging out" is like the beginning stages of dating. be flirty, be yourself, but don't expect to score the same night kinda thing

• Hanging out is more personal, in my opinion. Dates can be fun, but things are expensive and dates can put a lot of pressure for things to go in a romantic direction or for events to play out a certain way.

• those are just hanging out, but going to your restaurant is a date

What Guys Said 4

• She probably considers them dates. Sounds like you're hitting it out of the park so far. Sounds like she's into you romantically.

• Thanks, that's good news for me. I think she is amazing. Although we're both super busy people. I'll continue to take things as they come. Thanks for your comment.

• get in touch with your inner alpha and then you'll learn why god gave you a tabA that fits perfectly into slotB

• Sounds like a date

• It COULD be a date and there ABSOLUTELY is a difference. The only way to find out is to have fun, touch her frequently, watch her body language and go for a kiss.

I'm not sure where her head is at now, but if you don't make an attempt to get physical and kiss her, I DO know you'll end up in the friendzone.

• Well we've been on 2 dates or meeting or whatever you wanna call them. She seems like she wants to keep em going. At the end of our last one, she said "so are we gonna see each other again?" I replied yes and we made plans for sometime next week. I gave her a hug this time. It wasn't a good place for a first kiss, as we were in front of a restaurant standing near the entrance.

• Well no actually it never went beyond kissing. I was okay with that as long as I knew that she liked me. It was different than my past relationships. She has many guy friends that obviously like her more than friends and I called her out on it. It freaked her out but we were growing apart anyway due to her never setting time for me. She did so for most everyone else. I didn't like that.

• Yeah. Getting out was definitely the right call then. If you can't escalate the physicality AND she's prioritizing time with other people over you, those are HUGE red flags that she's not interested enough in you and you're wasting your time. Good for you for figuring it out so fast. I can't even tell you how much time I've wasted like that before figuring it out!