Would you date someone with bipolar/mood disorder?

I have bi polar... I'm not quite sue what to say. My mom said if she knew that my dad had bi polar she wouldn't have married him. It's kind of stuck to me and now I'm feeling insecure about it. When's the right time I should tell someone I have BP? Does it really hurt my chances?

Thanks all! I do appriciate it!

Most Helpful Girl

• I dated a boy with bipolar. It was the worst relationship I could ever imagine. He didn't take medication and he thought that the disorder made him some kind of dark, incomprehensible, overly intelligent, really deep person. When really he was just a tool. Everything had "sentimental value" and everything he really loved I wouldn't be able to understand because it was too dark, too deep for me to comprehend.

But, the point is, he didn't take medication and he played his disease like it was cool, flaunted his medication and never took it, just used it to make people think he was awesome. It was his attitude towards it, and how he treated it. The disorder itself isn't a huge deal to me, I'd date some one else who had it. My current boyfriend has serious depression which I helped him get through and get help for and I've no problem dating him. In fact I love him... More than anything.

I know I'm a girl so it doesn't matter to you but I think an opinion is still an opinion and it might express what some guys are feeling, too. It's still a point of view that other people could share.

As long as you manage it, and it doesn't take over your life and you don't use it a some kind of tool in the relationship then there shouldn't really be a problem.

What Guys Said 2

• I have, and it wasn't an issue as long as she was on her meds.

I don't think you need to tell somebody that you are just dating. Wait until he wants to go exclusive.

Most guys think ALL women are crazy. : )

• I wouldn't but maybe my other self would.

What Girls Said 3

• I am dating someone who's bi-polar (and has ADD). It's challenging (I actually just asked a question about his behavior today), the thing is though that I love him with everything in me. I think that's really what it boils down to, when you love someone, you have to accept them for who they are, faults included.

• As long as he did everything he could to control his disorder (i.e. took his meds regularly), I don't think I would hold something like that against a guy I truly liked right away. There are certain things over which people have no control, and they can often be overlooked. Nobody's perfect!

I had a close friend with bipolar disorder in middle school, and although she seemed to me to be kind of emotionally sensitive, I really never noticed, and it wasn't ever an issue. I'm sure there are varying degrees, though, of how much an individual's case would affect any kind of relationship.

• no I wouldn't. But others might.

But you can have any man you want as long as you take your medicine and stuff.