How long until you're ready to date again after breakup?

I was with my ex for 2 1/2 years and we broke up in May. She broke my heart and it was a really bad breakup, she was my first girlfriend and I was completely in love with her when it ended. Since then, I've hung out with one girl, but we weren't dating and it wasn't anything serious. The whole time I was with this other girl, I felt like it was happening to fast and wasn't ready to open up and be with anyone yet. My question is, normally how long after this length of a relationship does it take to be ready to date again? I feel like I am ready to be with someone new, but I don't feel completely over my ex as I still look back and think about how much it hurt when we broke up. Thanks for the help everyone.

Most Helpful Girl

• it took me a year to be able to date successfully again after a 2 year relationship. I felt the same way you did and wasn't able to open up to anyone else. I dated around a lot within the year but wasn't able to find someone that I could trust with my feelings again. I am still really guarded, but it's smarter to be that way rather than fall deep for someone at such a young age. After a year, I did happen to find someone else and it's perfect because we take everything really slow and I'm comfortable with that. Hopefully you can find someone too that will take your mind off your ex. I still think about mine too, but only because he was such a big part of my every day life, he certainly does not affect anything I do now anymore.good luck

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• i can relate to you too man.i mean I broke up with my ex in may too and till now whenever I think abt it.its sad but I dun feel that hurt anymore.it took me 7 months before I could think abt it and jus brush it off as a bad experience.there's no set time for someone to get over a relationship.it totally depends on a person.but there's a way to find out if ur really over.that is when you look at ur ex and you totally do not feel anything.no love or liking at all.then you can regard yourself as over her and ready to date

• hey man I can definitely relate, she actually just broke up with me about 3 weeks ago and I'm still shattered by it. she was my first girlfriend who I absolutely loved with everything that I had.its very hard, I thnk about her everyday and I can't sleep at night sometimes. usually I don't this but she was that girl, and the first love is always the hardest to let go, don't worry you're not the only one going through this. in time you'll be able to not thinka bout her and you'll know when you're ready to date again. but don't you ever think you'll be able to find someone like that, because you'll make someone else happy and you'll be happy. keep your head up.

• if you keep loking back you'll never get over her ,it takes time no doubt about it .