What do you think of dating someone from another religion?

We are open and freely to date whom we please, interracial couples exist and so and so forth.

What do you think fo dating someone that is not of your religion? For example a Catholic going out with a Muslim? There are so many combinations that we can think of people dating someone of other religion. Your love towards that person is mutual, would you go on to convert to your love's religion or he/she would have to go for it?!

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends how tolerant and open-minded they are. This isn't something religious people are known for. I wouldn't hesitate for dating. But for long term... depends, how religious they are, etc. If you have children then you have to decide how to raise them. Can get complicated. And for serious relationships you're not just courting them, you're courting their family too. So you have to see how your families get along, and what they think. Well if you're intelligent that's what you'll do.

I went on a few dates with this Muslim girl. I accepted and respected her faith. She asked me about mine and I told her I wasn't religious. So she told me I was going to hell no matter what, but that was my choice and she's still see me of course. So I asked... what if I'm a good person? Would I still be going to hell? Yes she said. I mean she seemed to tolerate me. Not in the sense I think religion preaches. I found her close mindedness offensive. It didn't last.

What Guys Said 9

• I am open to dating anyone as long as they do not decide they need to cram their beliefs down my throat.

When it comes to long term that is where issues can arise as stated by a few people here. But depending on the faith and how religious the person is, will make things a bit difficult. Kids and how they are raised, plus how the person's family will receive you.

Its a matter of if the two people are willing to work together and find a middle ground.

As for conversion for love? That means you do not believe, its not from the heart, and you are not doing your s/o or yourself any favors.

• my dad was raised a roman catholic, so you know he was pretty serious about religion or whatever, however as time went on, i think he became agnostic (he questions the things he's taught and the existence of god, but doesn't completely deny everything). my mom was raised jewish, but she too has become pretty much agnostic. they met 26 years ago and have been married ever since. im jewish myself and am currently into a girl who isn't. in fact, i dont think she identifies with any religion. im not a huge jewish person i mean, im reform so i dont take it too seriously, but its more about being able to identify with it that i like. i had my bar mitzvah and went to hebrew school for a long time, but after that i just stopped going. i celebrate major holidays and that's about it (passover, rosh hashanah channukah, yom kippur) are the 4 major ones. passover is in April (happening right now) rosh hashanah is the jewish new year which happens in September, along with yom kippur (day of atonement) which you can't eat for the entire day to pay for your past years sins. chanukkah is typically in December but on occasion it can happen in November, and i think even October

• I wouldn't care as long as they're as open minded as I am about it. I don't mind what she believes and I hope she wouldn't treat me differently for not thinking like her. Also if I have kids someday I'd want them to make their own minds up about what they want to believe. I don't think kids should be influenced one way or the other. Kids are easily molded and easily impressionable.

• To be honest, I'd rather just stick with the agnostic/atheist women. Failing that, she'd have to be one hell of an open-minded girl if it was going to work.

• I would date someone with different beliefs than myself. I would not convert to their religion just because they wanted me too, it would have to be something that I would have wanted to do anyways without the other person in the equation in the first place for that to happen. Ultimately I feel that inter-religious couples making a relationship work would depend on the people involved and how much they respect the person they are with, and how hardcore they are about their religious practices and beliefs.

• I don't think it should matter as long as you two really care about each other. It's something to respect but it should be irrelevant.

• it can be a big problem, unless you have the power of tolerate and ignorance.

• It just doesn't work unless one is willing to convert to the others faith. Seriously if you can't agree on what you believe in than how can you agree on anything else? How would you agree on how to raise your family? How would you agree on what moral views will be observed in your home? I'm not saying it's not possible to date someone who believes in something else, I'm just saying it's not going to work out in the long run when you and your partner always have conflicting views. Like right now I know a married couple, the husband is Atheist and the wife is a Christian. The husband is adamant about not allowing the children to learn about Christ because he doesn't believe in Christ. While the wife somewhat tries to teach the children without her husband knowing. That's not a healthy upbringing for anybody. That's why I say if your Christian, marry a Christian and if your Muslim marry a Muslim and if your Atheist marry an Atheist. This will keep you from arguing with your spouse over moral views and possibly save you from divorce.

• Don't care

What Girls Said 6

• I personally don't think I would do it. I'm a Christian, & the farthest I would go is to date someone who is either spiritual but not religious or maybe agnostic. I don't think I could date an atheist or someone of another religion because I don't think it'll work out in the long run. When I have children, I want them to get christianized (baby baptism) & raised on Christian beliefs, so I don't want my partner to oppose that or argue with me about it. Also, I'm not really big on religion, but a lot of people in my family are heavily involved in church, so that's another factor.

There's nothing wrong with dating outside of your religion, though. I just would prefer not to.

• I'm a very open minded person so I wouldn't care what their religion is. I'm even open minded enough to maybe convert to their beliefs. We both would need to be just open minded and respect each others different ideas and beliefs. What I won't stand is if they are constantly trying to shove their religion down my throat or put my own religion down.

• I don't think of anything when other people do it. I'm Muslim and I can't picture myself being with a non Muslim guy. Regardless of how much he respects my faith, I just don't see it working out.

• Im close minded when it comes to that. I only wanna date someone that follows my religion.

• I don't judge other people. I think it really depends on many factors

• im catholic...and i would see no problem dating an athiest or a jew.

but i dont think i could date someone who is muslim.hindu, buddist etc

• why resistant towards hindus and muslims?

• it would just be a culture shock for me...i would feel like it would be too diffrent...