Should I be dating so soon after a break up?

I was with the guy for three years and I am still madly in love with him. We have been broken up for three months, and I know we are not getting back together. Oh, I also have a 5 year old son from a previous relationship who was close to my now ex. Anyways, do I start dating? Every time I make plans with a guy I back out. I just am still so in love with my ex. Any advice on what I should do?

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't date unless you know in your heart that you're ready. If you're still saying that you're "madly in love" with your ex, chances are, you still need time to recover from the break up. 3 months may seem like a long time, but when it comes to recovering from a 3 year relationship, probably not quite long enough. And any guy you tell this to is probably going to assume that you just want a rebound. If I were you, I would wait a couple more months, until you know you don't have any lingering feelings for your ex.

I hope this helps.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• I think the only person who can answer this question is you. Do YOU think it feels right to be dating again? I can't tell you if it is or isn't, but you seem to be leary about it. Don't jump back into something you can't handle. I think it's okay to be open to meeting new guys that could possibly turn into relationships, but you don't have to go looking for somebody. If you're still feeling the pain from the last relationship, you may be uncomfortable and not ready for another. If you are not comfortable, ready, willing and open minded for a new relationship it probably will not work. Then again, some girls find somebody new to get over their last ex with and that's what works for them. I guess it depends on the kind of person you are.