When you're getting to know someone, do you like it if they text you first?

If it's just a friend (of the opposite gender ), does it make you like them in a romantic way because they text you first?

O

r do you think less of them for it?

• I want them to text first
  • I want to text them first
  • Idc/see results

Most Helpful Girl

• Wow, so many of us prefer to be texted first. No wonder there are so many questions about not being texted!

What Girls Said 13

• oh geez well I think this teaches a valuable lesson: when in doubt just text first!

• you really think so?

thank you!

it feels good to know my Q might help change something!

• It goes both ways. You are both getting to know each other. I would prefer it if like when one of us says we have to go, they'll text back when they want to and I can wait for that to happen. However, for the initial "first" text, usually I prefer to do it because I don't feel like (if it's a dating thing) the guy should do everything. In a friendship, I feel the same way too and it doesn't change my mind if they text me first, to make me like them in a romantic way or think less of them. I just feel appreciated that they are texting me and wanting to talk.

• Honestly, I don't think it matters either way, and I think people read way too much into that sort of thing.

• It's actually so sweet if the guy texts first, it show that he interested in you in a way or another. BUT I won't like him just for text messaging me first.

• I would prefer to be texted first because it really makes you feel like you've been thought about, and in my experiences, I've always texted first so that also plays into it. If we were just friends then I probably wouldn't think anything of it.

• i would text first but would wait a lot... if he texted first it would show me he's confident. I hate making first moves and try to avoid them as much as I can. I like the guy to make the first move.

• As a girl I'd like him to text first..And does it make me feel romantic about him 'coz of the it..Depends on what the text said ;D..But think less no..Probably think more

• ok but what does being a girl have to do with it?

• lol.. Nah you really did..you can talk as much as you want :D

• ok good.

• I`m a very shy person so if someone else makes the first move, that makes it incredibly easier on me. Too often that I have made the first move and it went nowhere, so there was no reward for me to make the first move.

• I'd like him to text first, but I can text first too.

• I'd like them to text first but, I get irritated if they constantly text you with a "Hey" or "what's up" and expect you to come with a conversation...

• you mean if they text you and you reply, then they don't say anything else?

if so, then I agree, hate that too.

• Well, I mean conversations like this:

Him: Hey

Me: Hi! What's up?

Him: Nm, how bout you?

See how that kind of puts me in a position where I have to come up with the conversation? I mean if your used to texting this girl alot, and they reply readily with a conversation topic, then this wouldn't be a problem, but in most cases I'd like the guy to start the conversation with something like "Man, I can't believe Mrs. Johnson gave up 30 pages of reading tonight!" or something relevant to both of you.

• ok yeah I see what you mean. I already never text people unless I have something to talk about so I'm coo.

• It definitely doesn't hurt, because it shows that they're interested.

• so even if he's a friend, you'll like him for it in a romantic way?

just for being interested?

• I guess if they act REALLY interested, it might make me consider whether or not there's potential for romance. But I wouldn't suddenly see someone in a romantic way just because they texted first.

• i don't care. if you have something to say just be the one to text.

• i want him to text, he should text first.

What Guys Said 10

• If it's just a friend of the opposite gender, I will not text first unless I want to make plans with them. If they want casual conversation, they have to text me first. No exceptions.

~Distant

• I always text first for the very first time because it shows confidence. After that though, I like it when we take turns. It's nice to know she wants to talk to me.

• If I would like to plan something with her, I will text first.

However, for example, today, she texted me something related to the mariage of Kate and William and I thought it was nice of her to text. It shows she thought of me in some ways and took the time to send it.

• I vote that I text the first because I'm the guy, but I think its nice if the girl also starts the conversation sometimes to show that she is insterested.

Even tought I don't like texting bur prefer to call and talk.

• i'd rather talk in person but I don't like talking on the phone so I settle for texting.

• I don't really care, but it'd be nice if, for once, someone messaged me first and seemed to go to some effort for me :\

• I don't care about texts so... She's gonna text first if it's gonna happen. :P

• I don't really care.. I ENJOY texting someone I like to know how their day was etc. though being texted feels great :>

• Doesn't matter to me, but them first makes me think they want to talk to me.

• I don't text. Waste of money. Sure it's only 15 cents a message but those damn things add up.

• Depends how much I like them...If I don't really like them that much, I would rather not have them texting me first...But, if I like them & I don't hear from them, I will usually initiate because I want 2 hear from them.