Have you ever had an online romance with someone far away?

Just wondering if anyone has ever "fallen" for someone they met online that lived far away? How did it turn out? Did you ever meet them, and if so, how did it go?

Most Helpful Girl

• My brother did. He lives in California and talked to a girl in Australia for months. He felt very connected to her and really enjoyed their online conversations. He finally put together the money to visit her and when they met, she turned out to be mentally unstable and ignored my brother. Luckily her family was very nice and made sure his trip was not a waste.

I have met many men online and when I met them in person they usually were quite different than what I thought. Their personalities did not match what they seemed like online. People can be so much more relaxed and act like someone else online. They can say amazingly romantic things and you can fall in love, but you are falling in love with an image, not who they really are.

I think online can be a good way to meet someone but meeting this is the only way you will know if there is something really there.

What Guys Said 2

• I have had one of these experiences except mine was cut short. I was communicating with this girl on an online dating website. She was my age and I found her very attractive. We exchanged a couple of emails talking about if we could meet up. She was pretty far away, I would say about 200 miles. Then my mother found out about what I was doing with this girl and ended it abruptly. She said that I needed to focus on getting a college education first and that this girl could possibly be an online sexual predator. After she explain that to me I also came to the conclusion that I couldn't visit since she did live far away, I could go on dates with her because I didn't have a car to go visit her, and because I was in college. Hope this helps and I hope that you think about whether you can really afford to have an online romance with someone far away, let alone an online romance at all.

• Well I was at the airport one time getting a car and this elderly lady was there waiting, I struck up a small conversation and she told me that she was there visinting this man of whom she had talked to for over 2 years on the dating site, she was from costa rica and he from England. They seemed very happy to be with each other and it looked like both of them knew what they wanted and how to handle the situation.

Very mature and able to deal with the meeting and new experiences. It was very nice to see them both get along so well.

What Girls Said 2

• Yeah I have and I'm still with him :) I met him and go and see him as often as I can and I've been with him for 4 years and I love him very much and our relationship is very strong, I've been lucky to meet someone like him and online :)

• Yes! Chatroulette, we talked every night for nearly three months. It was amazing at first, all I could think about but actually it sucks. We lived in different countries and my life started to evolve around my internet time. I lost sleep etc etc and now he ignores me. Also, I think it's hard to properly know someone without meeting them, I mean, I thought I was like, properly in love, and I still don't know. Waaay more complicated online and for me has resulted in ill-health, behind in school and very self conscious.

However, if you have the chance to meet, do it. I met someone else from chatroulette before and it was fine. I know, I'm an internet whore.

• hahaha! This is my exact situation. We met on stickam.. which is basically the same thing as Chatroulette! I would never admit it to anyone in real life though.. he's moving though.. to florida and he has to drive right through my city to get there..so who knows!

• Yeah I was too ashamed to admit to anyone I met him on chatroulette until I went to this party, got drunk, and told everyone :L But yeah, if you can trust him then do it. Not everyone is a serial rapist psychopath just because you meet on the internet, like most people think :P