Dating a girl with depression?

We've only just met but their was chemistry and we got on really well. We stayed up at a friends party talking all night and planned to meet up again.

She told me she has bi-polar which is making me a little concerned about dating her. Anyone on here have (diagnosed) depression or has dated somebody who has? How does it affect your relationships or your behavior to your partner?

I like her and we got on well but am I asking for a rocky ride by getting close to this girl?

Most Helpful Girl

• bi-polar isn't really [only] depression.. it's called 'manic-depression' because she will be in stages of high energy where she can't control her actions (the manic stage).. then suddenly her mood can swing a 180 (the depressed stage). Yes it will be a rollercoaster ride for you.. my lecturer was telling us stories about her mother while we were learning about bi-polar in university.. sounds pretty full on. I think if you are prepared for that.. then good for you.. you would have to be extremely supportive and patient with her. I think if she takes her medications she will be able to control her symptoms which will be easier on the both of you..

What Girls Said 6

• umm I never been in this situation but

if you break up with her...do it real gently because she could hurt herself to get back at you.

• i am diagnosed with post tramatic stress from an abusive realtionship, I can see it effects my boyfriend because he alwasy has to build me up, but as long as she takes her meds it should be okay, just be super sensitive to her

• mood swings can go up or down, just be careful

• i personally wouldn't date a depressed person..They would just make me depressed too. I don't need that ..I need to be happy and joyful all the time.

• End of the day, if you like her enough, then it's worth it. It will be hard, I have depression, my partner is bi polar. It's very hard to deal with, but I love him, and do a lot for him.

What Guys Said 4

• unstable in life, unstable in a relationship. I've dated depressed girls in the past and my tattooist has a bi-polar girlfriend. Those relationships can work but be prepared to compensate for her personality with your own. It's extra work and up to you whether or not the pay out is worth it.

• I had a 2 year relationship with a wonderfull girl, she was depressed a lot ... I mean going to a therapist depressed ... And it was rough, sure as hell it was ... Nights of staying up and comforting her,... You also have to look at yourself ... are you going to be able to cope with the feeling that you just can not help her ? 'cause there are going to be days when you can make her happy, etc, but there will be days, weeks that you can try anything to get her to cheer up, and nothing will work... I remember having the distinct feeling that I was not good enough to help her, ...

In the end, she dumped me in one of her depressed weeks ... And I still love her just as much as before... maybe even more...

• holy f*** yes, its going to be a miserable roller coaster dude, get out. women with mental disorders are f***ing off the wall broken

• I'm an extremely moody (understatement) individual myself - so I don't think you should just straight up "give up", but it's going to be tough...