Guys, in your opinion, who should pay on a first date?

Guys, in your opinion, who should pay on a 1ST date?

• The girl
  • The guy
  • Both (Split the check/bill)
Shaun: You're too sensitive...you really blocked me?! What did I do? lol :O

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't ask a girl out unless I'm willing to pay for it. If we end up in a relationship, then she'll occassionally pick up the bill or make me dinner or whatever.

• Agreed (:

• Because it should never be set in stone. I'll gladly offer to pay for the date, but if the girl feels it's her God given privilege to make a man pay through the teeth EVERY SINGLE TIME, she's a hypocritical bitch. There's nothing else to it.

• That wasn't the question. She didn't ask about EVERY SINGLE TIME. She asked about the first date. Honestly, if I'm the one asking her out (and I would be) then I'd be happy to pay. If I wouldn't be happy to pay I wouldn't ask her out.

What Guys Said 28

• Split the bill, no doubt about it.

• "Shaun blocks everyone who disagrees with him" Funny, I couldn't respond to that in her answer.

The reality is that I've been married, for 5 years and been in several cohabiting relationships, starting at the age of 21 which ranged from 3 to 7 years.

And to keep with the theme of this question, the best relationship was 50/50, and that's the only relationship I wish I could do over. I didn't realize how hard it was to find a woman who wasn't a user.

• I think it should be a split. That's fair. I like seeing the girl is as invested in the process as me. It's a great sign if she offers - I love it. Guaranteed to take her more seriously.

But I won't ask. I'll pull out my walet and there's plenty of time for her to offer. If she doesnt... it's disappointing. Major point deduction. One of the few "tests" I give a girl.

• 5 women are mad you hold them to a test you don't inform them when I bet they do exactly the same. Just figuring out their personality for real, if they know about it, they're going to obviously skew the results.

• girls and their double standards. Hey, it's hard thinking up good tests. Like the door lock one from A Bronx Tale

• the person who asked the other person out is usually the person who chooses were to go and should pay. Its most often the guy.

• It's still 2011 last I checked.

• so?

• paying, and being regected won't make you a chump. It's just part of the risk invovled in dating. Men and women approach this subject differently, women take it as a man who want's 50/50 will have the same mentality with the relationship; "I don't want to give too much of myself infear of being used/hurt" A man paying is a man taking the initiative saying "I'm willing to give you myself" hoping that the women will respond to it. It's really a question of, should men take the initiative?

• I think those days should be behind us. Times are much different now than they were even when I was a kid.

• Tbh, I gotta love how women really are hypocrites when it comes to equality. They want benefits, but they refuse to give up some of their perks like they find in the social/dating world. Women initiate anything when it comes to a relationship? That's a joke. Women pay for things? Ya rarely see that. I don't mind paying for things tbh, be it a girl or a guy I'm friends with because I really don't value money as something truly important (not that I'm rich, I just think other things matter more), but it's REALLY annoying that most women seem to be OK with someone else paying and even openly using guys for a free meal or free things. It's just annoying. No, not all women are like this, but it's really annoying there are a significant amount that are.

Now, I don't think guys are better as a gender, they certainly do use women in other ways that are equally disgusting, but I'm really sick of it from both sides. The using or the selfishness. it's just a problem in the world.

Now, what I think is that both should be willing to pay, but they either talk it out and work out splitting the bill or work out that one pays for that date and the other pays for the next or whatnot.

• "Now, I don't think guys are better as a gender, they certainly do use women in other ways that are equally disgusting." exactly

• Whoever asked for the date should pay because they are the ones that invite the other person out. Later on in the relationship it should be more 50/50...like Shaun said.

For now on I will agree with whatever Shaun says because sensitive people on GAG don't like him, which makes him cool by default in my book.

• i think the guy should pay for the 1st date but the girl should object to that because otherwise it might make the guy think she will just like to abuse him or is just spoiled

• i am down with that. I am always impressed when they offer but never let them get away with it. strange maybe... but I like the fact he is being generous and not cheap... still I don't really think I have ever let a guy, unless it is going to become he pays once I pay the next time.

• Traditionally, the guy would pay, as he is the one courting the girl.

If he wasn't interested in her, he wouldn't ask her out in the first place.

As time goes on with their courtship, the paying equality may change, as he becomes attuned to how strong she is.

• The guy should pay for the first date, I don't know anybody who would make the girl pay, the girl shouldn't have to pay until like months after they actually become girlfriend and boyfriend buuuut that's just me lol

• Like many other people said, who ever asks the person out. Its mainly the man and I'm old fashioned, I buy everything, even if she insists on paying. I don't care if were equal and all that other bullsh*t, I'm the man and I'm going to pay for you. /end

• The guy should pay

• Whoever invited the other on a date should pay. Yeah I said "The Girl" but it was a typo.

Honest. I paid on the first date and virtually all the rest. But part of it is that I was honoured that someone would actually go out with me that it was worth it.

• Well my girlfriend is nine years older and makes six figures so she always pays. I tried to once and she laughed at me.

• I'm sorry, that made me laugh. 9 years? Wow.

Had to be embarrassing when she did that. Sucks :/

• Yes, I was kinda embarrassed : / but some guy called me a lucky bastard because she's hot and rich.

• I'd offer and insist to pay, but if she was really putting up a struggle then we would split the bill if that's what she really wanted.

• split it so neither waist their money in case there isn't a second date.

i would pay if I thought there would be a second date, not cause I'm a man, but just cause I'm nice like that.

• In a perfect world, man always pays for the princess. In an imperfect world, man pays for no one.

Which world do you think we live in?

• doesn't matter

• The person that took you on the date should pay and that's usualy the guy.

• The rule I go by for ANY date. You pay for your half of it. That way, no arguments.

• if it's guys invite the girls initiative,i think,guys should do it, the girls should do it adverse

• I think whoever did the asking, should be the one that pays for the date. This keeps girls from asking out guys, that they are not interested in, just so that they can get a free night on the town. I have over heard girls talking about how they sometimes do that. Besides men and women are suppose to be equal now.

• If you want to be old-fashioned, stay in the kitchen, shut up, and cook the man a fine dinner. Problem solved, nobody pays.

The man should be the sole bread winner, and you should be a devoted housewife who bears his children, and keeps the house spotless. Clean his suits, mop the floors, change diapers, and take the kids to school.

That's old-fashioned, so get on it. Oh, by the way, this little degree you claim to have doesn't mean anything. Now, get back in the kitchen! (If you abide by this, I'll gladly pay for the meal)

• 0|0
  • THIS QUESTION WAS POSTED BY JULIANA7

• yes, so what? And I'm so proud of this question <3 But I needed to go anonymous because rude cowards like you started messaging me ;)

• you say you are old fashioned. then start cooking and cleaning toilets.

• no no you got it wrong, they are only old fashioned when it suits THEM

• one facing legal action*

• let's see :)

• girls here seem to be whining about gender roles? OK fine

so if the guy asks you out and pays you (meaning he's following his role), then you girls should follow your gender roles too, so cook and clean, and no promiscuity

• girls won't agree with this though, because we all know how you always want the good without the bad

• they basically want men to follow our gender roles, but for themselves to be "liberated"

• Ya, sadly, for the most part that's true. I don't think ALL are like that, but way too many :\

• If I asked, then I'll pay. If she asked me, I'll be willing to split. If she asks me and expects ME to pay the whole bill, then I laugh. While I figure that should go without saying, it's happened.

What Girls Said 14

• Call me a little old fashioned, but I think the guy should pay for the first date (if he did the asking of course). I always offer to split when the bill comes, but I'll admit that I'd be very disappointed if he let me. I've never had a guy let me yet though, so that's reassuring.

• Yeah, women want those old fashioned values when it benefits them, but when it's the other way around...

• I could write a book on why I disagree you, but considering I see you post attacks on women here a lot, I'll save my breath. You can have your preferences, and I'll have mine. If you don't like mine? No worries, I'm taken. You don't have to date someone like me. From now on, lets just agree to disagree about dating so that my news feed isn't blown up with angry responses from you every day.

• To me a relationship is like having a best friend with perks. Basically, I treat this kinda situation the same way I do with my friends (gender is irrelevant). I generally think whoever asks the other out should pay, but really, I don't mind at all. I'd always offer/insist on at least contributing because I want the guy to know that just hanging with him is a benefit enough, I don't want anything from him.

But, I do hate splitting the check. I just think it's awkward, you know? The way me & my gfs do it is just one pays one time, another the next, and so on. I prefer this way. You both pay, and it's cool when you pay for dates you organised especially.

When you're in a committed, monogamous relationship I think these things shouldn't matter at all. I like to contribute as much as I can.

• I think either the person who asks, or split it. I would never ask a guy on a date and then expect him to pay for me. And if he asked me out and then expected me to pay for him, I'd think it was pretty weird. Splitting the bill is always fine, but for a first date where the guy asked me I wouldn't complain if he paid. It's a nice gesture. But I'd pay for the next one!

• Split it every time.

• I'm old school, the guy!

• yep, me too! If the guy doesn't offer to pay...it's a turn off and I'm more likely to deny a 2nd date...I mean, it's the 1st impression... The guy should pay at least on the 1st date! That's how it works in Brazil (:

• Sexist. I'd rather be celibate than pay your entitled, prostituting arse for s*x. What a sexist.

• this prized piece of pie with diamond crust*

is that better? I bet you are the type that won't tip the waitress because "she's already getting paid!"

It's called being a gentleman and being respectful.. I'm guessing you will make her open the door too!

silly boys, go argue about world hunger.

• None of the above.

The one that invited the other one out should pay the bill.

• Well, whoever asks who out should pay for the first date. Or, if you planned it together beforehand like "oh we should hang out" and then the other person says "yeah we can go do this..." Then I think it should be split, but if one person randomly asks the other person out and already has everything planned, then that person should pay(:

• 50/50 for sure

• Whoever asked the other out should pay.

• whoever asked the other out has to pay for the date.

• lol I love how five guys voted for girls to pay.

• who ever asked the other person out on a date should pay.

• Guy pays 1st date

But I pay the next one lol

then after that who ever wants to pay pays...My boyfriend rock paper scissors for it...winner pays

I usually win cause I am better at that game xD

We thinks it is more fun to pay for the other person so we compete for the honor =D

• The guy. Because I believe the one who asks for the date, pays for the date, and I never do the asking. The rules change after the first date. But if a guy is going to ask me out, and not care enough about trying to impress me a little that he'd make me split it (I wouldn't even split the bill out with my grandmother), then I'd take it as a big hint that he's one of four things:

1) Not into me

2) Cheap

3) Just want a one night stand

4) A bitter guy that thinks dating is oh-so unfair for men and women have it so easy, so splitting the bill is his way of sticking it to the man...or woman rather. "It's 2011!" They'll scream. But for some reason, those same guys still enjoy when WOMEN follow the traditional role, such as being more chaste. "But it's 2011!" I scream back. Oh wait, that rule only applies when men get to do less work. Women still have to act like it's the 50's when it comes to having sex and such. I forgot.

• perfect answer!

• Well, that's just stupid. You seem to have a very negative view of men in general. If a woman were to ask me out, and I liked her, I would probably try even harder to make her happy than I would if I asked her out, if not the same. But alas, the good guys never seem to have a chance anymore.

• i agree with u