What's the difference between dating and hanging out?

Are they one of the same or is hanging out pre-stage to dating? Getting to know each other is what then?

Most Helpful Guy

• From what I can tell, "hanging out' is a more casual, less stressful date. Less expectations, too, just more of a "getting to know you better" without the wine and dine.

What Guys Said 2

• i think hanging out refers to "seeing each other process"

• Dating is an action, going places and doing things. Hanging out is hanging out. People hang out while they're dating, before they're dating, after they're in a relationship etc..

What Girls Said 2

• Hanging out is what you do when a guy is too afraid to call it a date or too cheap to take you out. It can also be what a guy offers when all he wants is a casual sex partner.

• Intresting is that the same for girls? Girls ask to hang to..

I have to disagree with this one.. Not all guys hang out for sex..

The one part I do agree with is the guy could be afraid to call it a date.. Just incase the girl just wants to be friends

• I don't believe in a girl asking for a date to begin with. Any guy that was as interested in me as I was in him would ask me for a date before I even had a chance. I do think a girl could ask a guy to hang out and have it mean nothing other than hanging with a friend. Oh, and I did not say all guys hang out for sex. I said "it can also be". Some guys definitely use the term "hangout" as a way to get you to their place so they can try for sex.

• I suppose both friends and potential daters hang out while dating cannot go on between friends of course lol