Would you date outside your race?

Is race a factor when choosing a partner? If you are attracted to someone outside of your race, would you not date them because of that? Is it what society thinks or just your own personal preference?

I'm biracial and growing up, I found that though I was attracted to an assortment of men, there were a few I knew thought I was attractive, but never approached me. Not sure if my race was a reason, but I did speculate that it was.

I'm sure this generation is a bit more colorblind than mine, but it would be interesting to know for sure.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've date outside of my caucasian pigmentation and my experiences have taught me this. It's never a problem with the 2 people in the relationship. It's always the people that surround them that bring the difficulties. Depending on where you live, this can be more extreme or less. Race can be viewed from an Anthropological perspective as outside perception and inside. It's how you view yourself and how others view you. This is a long standing debate within academia as to the most definable use for the term "race". I personally am willing to date, marry, love, and devote myself to anyone who is willing to do the same. If they are willing to put for the effort and overcome the challenges that go along with any union, than they deserve nothing less from me. Racism is really a mixture of underlying social issues. What makes this even worse, is that we have people in this country that use racism to serve both their own personal agenda's and they also market racism to us. It's the old divide and conquer formula that has kept us unorganized, separated, and under the control of the status quo. Racism sells music, tv, magazine, and votes. That is the real bigotry here. It's one thing to feel genetically superior, it's another thing to capitalize on a populations fear, ignorance, and pre-disposition. Eliminate a lot of these actions, and we as a collective are on a very good start to our long overdue evolution beyond racist behaviors. So no, race is not a factor for me in choosing a partner. A partner who is willing to be a partner is the factor I consider. - J

• Blog! Podcast!... Run for office!

The world needs more people to realize these truths.

What Guys Said 10

• I have dated outside of my race and I remember feeling as I was going through those periods that "I'm dating outside my race". I didn't verbalize this and I also didn't feel as if there was anthing wrong with it, but it was different.

One black girl I was dating, I found that there was a bit of a language barrier because, for lack of a better way of saying it, she used to talk all "ghetto". Left me wondering "huh?" so many times.

I also dated an Indian girl and we eventually split up because she was really concerned about what her family thought about everything she was doing. Kinda like she wouldn't make he own decisions without their approval.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that there are cultural issues that may have to be overcome and how each of you perceive the blended relationship.

• I'd easily date outside of my race.

It's a bit more "convenient" to date within because culturally speaking there are similarities, but all it means is that it's easier to hit it off with someone when you already have an idea of what the social conventions are.

I think that when you're dating outside your race your odds of finding someone you are really compatible with is immensely improved, because it's not about cultural conventions but it's about shared values and learning to understand one another.

That, and biracial girls are effing hot. =o

• =) oo, thank you

• Its best to stick with ur own race when dating/ finding a partner....u have more similarities with ur own kind & I believe that the divorce rate is high because a lot of people are mixing with different races.

• If it was just me that had to deal with everything I would have no problem with it. I'm just concerned about what my parents would think. I don't think they would have a problem with it, I would just feel really weird. Probably because out here in the sticks we are all white. If I lived in the city it might be different. Also I have some family members that are a little racist. One of my aunts on my mom's side married a black guy. And when my dad's aunt came to our house for my little brother's birthday party and he was there you could tell she was not liking it.

• I'd say yes, but the reason I usually stick to my race is because of the culture we share it's not about color. I just feel like I can relate more to someone of my race.

• Yes ! - if I have a connection & rapport & they turn me on and as long as they know what they are getting into and go in with eyes open

• Maybe. I'm mainly looking for an Asian person to be with, but I wouldn't mind a European or an American. Of course, other Asians are more likely to understand the customs and traditional Asian values, while many Americans value independence far too much, for me to have a compatible view on life with them. Asian culture values family values.

• Skin color is pretty immatterial to me. Personality, cultural behavior and appearance are

much more important considerations for me.

• yes

I don't look at a persons color

as long as we love each other is fine

• no parents would kil me

• I tend not to be attracted to other races as much, but it happens sometimes.

What Girls Said 14

• I would date outside my race.If he's sexy and cool.He also should be intelligent you wouldn't want a fine ass dummy.When I was a kid I always want the hair biracial folk had.lol

thank goodness for the perms.lol But if you see someone in particular you like color shouldn't matter.not one little bit. That what I believe makes up our world.or else god wouldn't have put different race here.I think some men think that biracial women are more dominant and expect more. They have to decide if there ready for that.Good luck.

• I'm usually attracted to other white people, so I've never really dated outside my race. But I'm not opposed to it. If I met a guy who was black and who I found very attracted to, I would date him. However, that hasn't happened so far, possibly because I live in a very white area. But I definitely would never date someone on the basis of race. I do see race obviously, but I would never treat somebody special because of it. For example, I would never say "Hmm wonder what it's like to date an Asian...I guess I'll date that Asian guy!" I find this very offensive and I hate when people do it. If a guy from another race dated me because he thought it would be fun to be with a white girl I would be very angry.

• omg I just posted a question like yours. I too am biracial, but raised in a white community with my white mother...no dad contact. I feel strange about the fact that I can be friends with anyone...but just can't see myself dating a black/ hispanic guy. I don't know its hard to explain =[[

• I would def. date outside my race. I don't judge people based on their skin color and I find that I seem to like men that are a different race then me. I find that I am usually more attracted to darker skinned guys. It really ticks me off that some people judge others on the color of their skin and don't look at the true person. It is really a shame because they are really missing out!

• i would absolutely date out of my race because color shouldnt mean anything and as long as we like each other that's all that matters to me

• No race is not a factor when choosing a partner. I'm biracial as well(black/white), and I'm mostly attracted to white and Spanish guys. I not really into black guys that much, there are a few that have caught my eye, but unfortunately at my age black guys tend to be gangbangers,and talk really hood, and that's just not me. But like you I never get approached by the guys I'm attracted to. This generation is a bit more colorblind, then in the past, but there is still a bit of a taboo on inter-racial relationships.

• I would date outside my race but because of the difficulties it can bring, it would have to be a really sweet guy that I am thinking about seriously. I wouldn't go through all that drama for just another boyfriend so he would have to be someone special. But no, I'm not opposed to it love has no color, but unfortunately sometimes society makes it harder.

• I have no problem at all. I think even my parents don't mind. Well at least I know my mother doesn't mind. I like all types of guys.

• I don't mind dating a guy that from another races beside my own.

• I definetely don mind.just depending on what culture ur from, as myself, the norm is to end up with someone of your own race. But I'm definetely attracted to outside races!

• it shouldn`t be, sometimes people say it`s just a perference, but I call bullshit it`s just ignorance. If you connect with that certain person and you like them, race shouldn`t be an issue.

• I would, and mostly do. I'm attracted to dark-skinned, dark eyed guys that look Native American and I am just abou as white as you can get lol. I do think that in peoples heads they like to pretend that we are different because of our skin color but really, all humans are pretty much the same.

• No, I wouldn't date outside my race. I have a crush on a boy who is half cuban but that is as far as I'll go. That's just how I was raised. My mom always told me that dating or marrying outside one's race is wrong.

• Did she have a reason for its "wrongness"? If so what was it? I'm just wondering what her logic is because my step dad feels the same way and I totally disagree with him.

• Not so fast imconfuse, I am a product of intermixing relationship and I see the answerer's mother point in my life. You see, I am half Romanian half Russian. The Romanians hate Russians. Growing up the Romanian kids hated me because I look Russian and vise versa. So, I moved to North America and everything is beautiful here. People have different racial issues here.

• I'm half black and half white. My birth parents gave me up for adoption, and I was adopted by a white family. I now live in a prominently white town, and I go to a Catholic school that only two other black people go to. My best friends are all white, except for one...and 99.9% of people have no problem at all excepting me.

• i am in no way opposed to it, as I am in no way opposed to people being gay. and that's just how I look at it, if you are attracted to and care deeply for someone, then why not be with them. it isn't all about looks (but they do count, you wouldn't want to spend the rest of you life with someone you though was gross). as of this moment in my life I have only dated one person an obvious different race, and by obvious I mean, if you go back far enough through the generations, we all come from different races and ethnicities, in a nut shell, we're all mutts these days :D