I felt like my heart wasn't in it anymore. Did I do the right thing?

I've just recently broke up with my girlfriend of 7 months because I felt like my heart wasn't in it anymore. I also felt lonely because she was always jealous of my friends and family. I didn't really hang with them when she was around because it just felt awkward. When I finally did break up with her, my friends all cheered.

The strange thing to me is that I feel... almost... regretful?
I talked to her the other night and explained my feelings and confusion. We also talked about /maybe/ getting back together but it's still too soon to tell I think. She lives in Oregon, I live in California, so distance has a role to play too. If her and I were to get back together I'd have to leave my old life in California for something that might not work out anyway. Good idea? I'm still not sure because I LOATHE the town I'm in now and want some change but I'd be moving away from my family.

Most Helpful Girl

• it felt awkward for you to hang around her with your family? why?

maybe she wasn't jealous of your family and friends maybe she was just immature about wanting you all to herself and it in turn put a lot of pressure on you to choose?

is this not something you could have worked out with her? how did she take it?

the friends all cheered because they had you all back all to themselves...they're being jealous too it sounds like.

• When her and I hooked up, I hardly ever saw my friends and when we hung out with them she would go sit in the car or sit quiet and not really talk. I think my friends made her uncomfortable and she wanted to leave.

• Yeah I was being smothered and I did try to talk it out but that didn't really seem to help. I don't think that she understands that she can be rather controlling. Everyone else can see it but her which is normal for most people. Being blind to one's flaws and all.

• sometimes when you're in love the ball gets rolling before boundries can be set. This could be your chance to set boundries for her that she didn't realize were being crossed or that you didn't want crossed. Good luck with whatever choice you make :)

What Girls Said 1

• You did the right thing. It's not worth it to be in a relationship where your significant other is a negative influence on the rest of your life. Plus it's not fair to her if you're not completely in it either. I totally support your decision.

What Guys Said 1

• I think you did the right thing. You had a life before meeting her and she has no business demanding that you just push that off to the side completely.