Would you date someone that has a past of being abusive?

Maybe not to the extent of jail or prison, but by word of mouth & just curious if you had strong feelings for someone would try to pursue a relationship

Most Helpful Guy

• Anyone who dates such a person (and is fully aware of what the other person is capable of) does so at their own risk.

What Guys Said 3

• Im sure you can find their good side, I believe in women!

• So do you think an abusive person could change?

• the chance is very slim, but I'm sure you will find a reason to date them anyway :)

• I don't trust word of mouth, because people will say anything if they have a reason to. However, should I experience abuse from said person, then they're gone.

• Right? I hate the he said/ she said because there are so many manipulative people, but it would also be hard to get attached& have it be too late!

• Better if he went to jail, then he'd have to do dv/anger management classes for a year.

• Not all the time, but yeah some people definitely could benefit from classes!

What Girls Said 8

• No, I would not go into a new relationship knowing that they're abusive unless they have gotten or currently are getting help. My feelings for this person would have to be strong for me to but myself at risk for an abusive relationship.

However, keep note that when I was younger my parents were somewhat physical, so that's my opinion coming from someone who has witnessed situations like this. I've also been in a relationship that turned into a verbally abusive and somewhat physically abusive relationship. (shoving, no hitting, but things like that only happened during fights.)

• Verbal can be just as bad unfortunately. Oh gosh they sound like my parents hopefully it wasn't too bad for you!

• A bit of a rude mouth I'd be fine with. If the person has been abusive in the form of physically hurting someone then I'd be careful about pursuing a relationship with them, but Id give them a chance regardless :) But serious abuse and its a big fat no :O

• No.

• it depends on the person , like if we get in a argument and things get heated then fine. but being abusive all the time then no.

• no

• No definitely not. that's the one t hing I would never put up with

• No. History repeats itself. You aren't going to be the exception of his pattern of abusive behavior. Stay away.

• Seriously some people just have issues& it's sad they take it on their significant others.

• Emotional abuse is the worst of all. I've been there and definitely will refuse to be with someone who's critical, controlling, manipulative, abusive, etc...it's a traumatic experience.