How do you tell your boyfriend you want to hang out with other people without him?

My boyfriend and I work in the same place, so we have a lot of mutual friends. Sometimes we do big get togethers with a whole group, which both my boyfriend and I attend, and it's fun.

However, there are times I want to hang out with some of these people without my boyfriend around. I would never hang out with the whole group and exclude him, but he gets upset if I hang out with any of them without him, because they're "his friends too".

For example, I was out shopping and having lunch with two girls from work when my boyfriend texted and asked what I was up to. I told him, then put my phone away. Imagine my surprise when he showed up at the restaurant a half hour later asking to spend the whole day with us.

My boyfriend goes out with guys from work (and even some of the girls) without me, so why can't I do the same?

Most Helpful Guy

• I can see why he's upset with you, you seem like an awful person

What Guys Said 7

• He wants to spend more time with you and of course he doesn't want to be excluded from friends. But just tell him you want a little time for yourself and that you enjoy seeing him but you also just need a little bit of time with your friends as well.

• You should ask him ahead of time when he's going to hang out with his guy friends and then you should plan something with your girl friends that same day or around that same time.

• Hang out with a 7' bodybuilder called Bubbles, I'm sure he'll learn to let you some reasonable social freedom

• tell him you need space. honesty is really the way to go, don't lie and don't hide things. secrets and lies only bring more problems.

• Just imply it. Say "Hey, I'm going to hang out with --. I'll talk to you afterward when we're done"

• Plan a "girl's night out".

• I've done that, but then he texts constantly and sometimes shows up at the bar.

• Oh god don't call it a girl's night out, that's sex with strippers.

• "I need some alone time... with my friends"

• Yeah, but that just leads to him being pissy/whiny/moody/upset

• This is the same guy who says he doesn't like your body, right? I told you I don't like him.

• I don't like him either

What Girls Said 3

• Gah, I'd just do the easy thing and leave the annoying f***. But that's just me, so say you need space with just you and your friends and that you don't want him texting you, calling you or meeting up with you etc etc.

• talk about space. tell him you need space and your own thing

• "hi, we are two individual people and we need separate lives with separate groups of people so we don't smother each other to death. be back later. love ya babe"

thats how I did it with a clingy ex I once had. I always pushed him to get more friends and do more things. its not healthy to have your lives revolve around each other and no other friends. my friends are very important to me, and I want to chill with them.