Is it normal to feel embarrassed and ashamed to have an online dating account?

I have had an account in an online dating website before, and I felt too ashamed to let anyone know that I have an account like that. I am afraid people might think I am too desperate.

is it normal to feel this way?

• Yes, it's completely normal.
  • No, it is not normal.

Most Helpful Guy

• Some people think that others will see them as desperate because they can't get a date any other way, so I think it is normal for someone to feel embarrassed. A lot of people do it though and it doesn't mean you're desperate. You're just trying to open up yet another avenue to find someone. There's nothing wrong with that.

What Guys Said 1

• I think that having an account for an online dating website doesn't mean you're desperate. To me, I think it gives you opportunities to get to know people who you consider possible dating choices. I would caution though to not be quick to choose someone for serious dating potential unless you have found that you have similar values and viewpoints in a lot of areas. It should be someone you feel comfortable talking to and would feel at ease with when you are together. If you are comfortable with who you are inside, you shouldn't be afraid to put yourself "out there" for others to meet and get to know.

What Girls Said 4

• Lol I don't think you should feel embarrassed. I guess I understand why you would feel embarrassed. A lot of people still have hangups with online dating. It seems desperate to some people, but its a great way to meet people and it can be a good resource if used properly. I have been pretty successful. But you really have to go in with an open mind. You may or may not find someone, and you have to meet people in person for it to work :P

• Yep. I'd say I'd feel pretty ashamed if I had one.

It would make me feel like a loser or too desperate for a date.

• Yeah I expect that's pretty normal :)

• Lol