Girls only: would you date a Muslim?

the purpose of this question is to have an idea about the level of tolerance toward a specific religion,

I spent a lot of years in an Arabic country and I learned a bit more about the Islamic culture, did you know that the face vale isn't a part of the Islamic culture,also did you know that in Tunisia and Lebanon women are treated as equals(as they should) , plus I've seen a similar question to this, most girls said yes but, they had some concerns so I tried to clear out some issues in order for me to get better pole results

considering these facts:

-he won't try to convert you or ask you to change any thing about your self/life style, and will respect your believes...

-he can marry a non-Muslim girl if it comes to that...

-when it comes to sex, he can have sex with you provide he gets the blessing of your father/older brother, and you 2 agree to a spiritual marriage by saying out-loud/writing the words" I accept marring you" or something like that, all this should be done in the presence of 2 witnesses , PS this marriage isn't binding at all to a non-Muslim girl...

PS when I was in japan,this girl said that we couldn't date unless I cleansed my soul by standing under a waterfall for 1 min the water was freezing, I thought if I touched my nose it would fall off, but she was hot and strangely busty , I guess every religion has it's weirdness...

so when you answer site your reasons whether it's a yes or a no, and your religious affiliation and if you ever had a strange encounter with some religious practices please share,

Muslim girls aren't allowed to date non-Muslim guys so this question is for girls only...

• I would date a Muslim...
  • No way...
these few answers conquer with a study that atheist/agnostic are to my surprise the least tolerant, the study shows that an atheist is 8/10 times less likely to date a religious person if compared to someone from the 3 most common religions (christens rank first as the most tolerant ppl)

Most Helpful Girl

• Sure, why not. I'm an Atheist, and just as long as he didn't harp on and on about religion, then I would be fine with it.

What Girls Said 29

• No. It would very messy because me being Christian will try to raise my children in Christianity faith and he will obviously want to raise the children in Muslim faith. Plus religious differences no matter how minor or whatever can have a big impact on a relationship.

• I might, but probably not. Though, it would help if he doesn't try to push his beliefs on me, and he's more the progressive rather than traditional sort. I'm not religious. It's not really about tolerance (I have plenty of Muslim friends and I'm accepting of their views), but dating someone with beliefs and values that greatly clash with mine means I need to have more than tolerance. I'd have to compromise in certain areas of my life that I'm not willing to, and there are things we wouldn't be able to talk about openly without an argument breaking out. Also, from what you say, it doesn't seem like women are treated as equals. Men can marry who they want, but women can't? That's not equality.

• islam in a weird way considers women sacred, therefor they need to be protected, plus I agree with what you say, but having a relationship is all about having the both sides make some compromise,

• And, even if they consider women sacred, it's still not equality. What if a Muslim girl falls in love with a Christian? She's not being protected, in my opinion she's being restricted.

• I agree with you love doesn't know any boundaries, as for the kids ,Muslims believe that them and Christian, and Jews have the same GOD, and Muses, Jesus and Mohammed are his prophets, plus the wise choice is to teach the kids the common parts of both religions and let them choose which one the wanna follow, my choice why have kids at all the world is going to end in about 50 years any way lol

• No. I'm an atheist and I wouldn't marry a religious person. But what does that have to do with tolerance? I'm accepting of people with different beliefs than mine---not wanting to date someone who has very different beliefs than you doesn't make you intolerant. I just want to be with someone that I'm compatible with.

• the study was about dating tolerance... and clearly if you look here atheists most of the time say "No, I'm atheist...", I hope I cleared that point...

• perhaps. this did clear up a lot though. my biggest concern would be getting both families (I am catholic) to get along especially when it comes to holidays/sacred days that apply to both of us. then how about raising a child? it complicates things. I don't usually think so far into the future if it's just a date, but I can't help it lol.

• easy families never get along ; holidays celebrate them all the catholics and the islamic ...Muslims believe in jusus so that's not a problem; children let them decide every thing gets easier when you think simple

• I'd prefer not to, excuse my ignorance. I wouldn't say that I'd never under no circumstances marry a Muslim but I'd really prefer no to.

I am Christian, not really firm believing tho, and I would really like my children to have some connection to Christianity for once.

There are some practices in Islam I absolutley don't agree with and I wouldn't really like it if my relatives practice this kind of things.

I know there many Muslim men that loving and respectful but, there recently was a study in Europe (I think it was Germany but I guess it be transfered to every western country) that found out that 1/4 of all women had expierenced some kind of violence from their partner. From women whos partner was a practicing Muslim it was 1/3. So just taking the odds there's a higher probability of getting hit.

Also, requirement is,assuming we get married some day and have a daughter, she's not gonna wear headscarf until she's old enough to make that decision herself.

Oh and good luck asking for my fathers blessing. He does have a lot prejudices against Muslims, I mean legally it doesn't matter what he thinks and he might accept it at one point, but I don't think he'd ever give his blessing

• germany is going to declare islam as an official religion, due to the rapid rate of conversion, so I don't think that study is accurate... but thanks for taking the time and answering

• There are differences of opinion but there are central rule makers. Like the one who passed a rule saying that Muslim women do not need to wear head scarves in western countries because of the prejudiced against them and clash of lifestyles. "Islam is a moderate religion"--Prophet Mohammed. There too are Christians with their own rules like the church who banned interracial marriages recently, the ones who promote hatred and the ones who engage in violence and terrorism.

• I also don't know what kind of Muslims you are exposed to and if you would know a Muslim not wearing a headscarf if you see them. It could be a particular ethnic group that have that culture. A few Muslim contries are fairly modern and you can expect girls who wear that headscarf to be called "not so common conservative Muslims", at least in educated circles.

• I know I"m gonna get a lot of down arrows but just the WORD "Muslim" has a negative connotation to me. Makes me think of shady, overly religious zealots. Violence.

So no I wouldn't date a Muslim, especially after watching that movie "Not Without My Daughter"

• yes I would date one but only if he isn't extremely religious.

• I'm an atheist, and no, I wouldn't.

• Yes, if I do not have to convert my religion. I'm a buddhist/taoist, and would refuse to change my belief for someone else. I would not enforce my religion on someone else, so would exect the same back. For me to try to believe in anther religion or belief in which I do not genuinely have true belief for would only be living a lie and a disrespect to my own true belief and to the religion I have to try and convert to.

• I think I mentioned that he is not required by his religion to convert you

• I know, but even if you never mentioned the conversion point I would have still gone for yes, but only under the circumstances I originally mentioned.

• you have every right to stick to your believes...plus I personally think religion is just between the person and his god, religion doesn't make a person better nor worst, it's just the way he chooses to live his life, and frankly if someone loves a person he can work around those facts

• I'm not sure, especially about the marrying contract thing... I know it is not anything important if your not Muslim, but that is how I feel.

My question is, what if they do not have a father or older brother? (out of curiosity)

• in that case her saying the words should be enough, plus what I learned, woman in islam is considered sacred, and the father/brother are usually protective of their daughters/sisters, so by earning their blessing the guy proves that he means no harm to the girl, I know what you mean about feeling weird, Imagine my surprise when I had to stand under a waterfall, love makes do crazy things...

• ok girl it's as simple as this when all the condition of orfi marriage are met for Muslims it's a sound valid marriage, and I checked with an Imam and he gave me AYET from the quran , and a Hadith of the prophet, so as far as I'm concerned it's very applicable...and there is no IGTIHED in that, as far as the "NEW" rules they can be ignored if they are a bit far-fetched, like the face veil, or rap music is forbidden do you get my point dear sister as you should be called

• not all Muslims are the same! lol. It really doesn't matter. I think because Islam is foreign to people they think there are a lot of rules but if you think about a Muslim living abroad, they could be religious or just as non-religious as an atheist. Probably just believing and 1 God, fasting when he can on Ramadan, celebrating the Eid holiday--that would be me, my friends and probably the norm. I may be very Americanized but, that's how Muslims are, they come from every where =)

• I'm agnostic, and no, I wouldn't date someone too religious, I don't like rules/restrictions either. Oh and, apparently, my whole family are against me/us dating Muslims (asians).

• based on experience, I'd say no because there are too many 'rules'.

i'm agnostic.

• Yeah I would.

• Sure! (i'm Muslim)

• Don't really have a choice (Muslim)

• no...iam buddhist...Muslims just doesn't appeal to me, physical and mental.

• I would never ever in my life date a Muslim man again. It was the worst thing I have done in life. He has given me one great gift and that was a beautiful child. Every Muslim man I know which is a lot act the same.

• im sorry I wouldnt, I would date all other religions except Muslims and scientologists.

islam I have many friends who are Muslim I went to public school all my life I know a lot about the religion by now, and there are many things that annoy me. I dislike when my Muslim friends claim all other religions are wrong and nonMuslims are going to hell, I don't like women having to wear a scarf its pointless and biologically we evolved to have hair to protect our skull a scarf made of cloth is not biology, covering your head doesn't make you modest if we all know you have boobs and ass under there, I don't like ramadan starving yourself for nothing, what does it do? does it help anyone? no. does it make god happy by starving? no. I don't like women being oppressed and not allowed to work have jobs. I don't like Muslim mens attitudes. I don't agree with polygamy, its a psychological disaster and marriage failure. islam has a history of violence and invading all lands and countries possible and causing forced coversion by non believers, it goes against diversity and variety. islam has too many negatives some of my Muslim friends don't listen to music even for godsake. its pathetic.

just my two cents. I don't care how many down votes I get. everyone has their own opinion and belief you can't change how people think.

• every religious person thinks his is the right one; ramadhan is about self control and it's not starving your self..it teaches some one that while he enjoys food and water some people out there spend their whole life dreaming of it;; I don't like the scarf either so I'm with you there..what else every religion had envasion it's not like Christianity spread all a cross europe by kisses and I have to disagree; in the time of the prophet they didn't force any one into islam I have the documents ...

• Clair, just out of curiosity, where did you get that statistic?

• Okay when you talk about Muslims invading land and converting non believers, what did America do the the First Nations, convert them take over their land and oppress then. What did America do to japan in the 1700, force them to convert and trade. I don't get why the majority of people think all Muslims want to do is convert you and turn you. Muslims can be everyday people, don't judge a whole religion when you don't know what it's about. The people you see in the media are not even close to what Islam is about, maybe if all these judgmental people take the time to actually read the Quran and take in all it's information, maybe you will see that today's Muslims are not a good representation if Muslims. And the people you call Muslims like Osama bin Ladin are actually disgusting people who only call themselves Muslims. In the Quran it us haram to abuse your wife, woman can work and do everything a man can do, Woman choose to wear the scarfs. Muslims are not evil are representation is

• honestly I know this sounds bad but I won't marry a Muslim.In my country its compulsary for any religion to convert even if we do not ready or do not know anything about Islam.I dated few b4 and they are fine with me but as I said I won't marry them.Im not the religious type one and I'm not racist but its just I don't want to get tied by too many rules especially in terms of dressing.Besides,i also respect my parents decision who want me to get a christian guy because I was borned in a christian family. Anyway I don't mind making friends with Muslims because no doubt some of them can b good too and I have lots of Muslim friends;)

• ": these few answers conquer with a study that atheist/agnostic are to my surprise the least tolerant,"

LOL are you a Muslim?

WOW, I have just counted the atheist messages on here, 6 atheist/agnostics answered your question. 3 said yes and 3 said no. In what way does that prove that atheist and agnostics are intolerant. Most people on here that said no were christian.

So you are saying that if atheist refuse to marry Muslims then atheists are intolerant? Well that means that Islam is intolerant because they literally do have a rule that Muslims are NOT allowed to married atheists, and Muslim women are not allowed to marry anyone except Muslim men. SO thank you for confirming that Islam is an intolerant religion.

No wonder you are a Muslim, you can't think logically.

• a/ not a Muslim b/Blame the study not me...cause athesit don't belive in a higher power so they can do whatever they want , right...and most of them choose not to date religious ppl...on the other hand Muslims are ordered not to marry atheist..it's not their choice...and what you said about Muslims, and how they can't think logically shows me your as stupid as people who thought women weren't human...u can't insult a groupe of people because your ignorant ...wow

• Circumcision is not safer, that's bullsh*t. "he can do whatever he wants with the people he created" AND so if he decided to throw everyone in hell, just for the fun of it, you would still worship him, or would you realize that this God is evil and that humans have a standard of right and wrong, and in that standard hell is evil, and a god that creates evil, and then a place like hell to punish the evil he created, is an EVIL god.

• god didn't need to create evil..look around it's human doth...and without hell we all will be animals..

• I do date a Muslim, I am an atheist. I must say however that the only thing wrong with him is his delusion that Islam is true.

• u think it's a delusion, he firmly believes it's not... the fact is there is no possible way to prove that your right or wrong..that's the base of islam he chooses to believe cause he doesn't wanna take chance with his after life, you believe there isn't something called after life..so the way I see it when you die.if you didn't disappear he was right..if you did he was wrong

• I JUST told you I can not disprove God. Can you read? I told you that I can disprove some of what is Islam says, written in the qu'ran, and by doing that I can disprove the ISLAMIC GOD. I know about the Jews, Christians and Muslims, the whole sh*tty story. The fact that Muslims believe that Muhammad was the last prophet adds nothing to what I said about about being able to disprove the Islamic god. Do you have difficulty thinking?

• there isn't an islamic god..Muslims believe in one god the same god all along for jews and christians...that's my point...u can't be seriously considering the jesus is god/son of god theory..or the best line he died for our sins...and please the same request disprove some of what is Islam says...show what you got; I'd love to hear what you have to say dear anonymous user

• I have Muslims in my family (aunt/uncle & cousins), but I am Catholic & so is the rest of my family.

It's not that I wouldn't want to marry a Muslim. It's the fact that I feel there culture & religion are conflicting. I also feel the men use trickery a lot, and I HATE being tricked!

I think that there is even confusion amongst the Qur'an the way there is confusion in the Bible.

Think about it, you have the Sunni and Shia Islam are the two major denominations of Islam. Most people don't even realize that. It's like saying I am Lutheran or I am Catholic, but we are both Christian, but have different traditions & beliefs.

No I wouldn't marry a Muslim man if his family were practicing Muslims, not because of prejudice, but because I don't understand it, and I don't want to spend my life trying to.

I have met many Muslim men, and I have yet to find one that I have respect for. Mainly because I hate the way women are held to the double standard. I feel they've been brought up to not treat women as equals because of their culture, not there religion.

• SHIA aren't considered Muslims cause they don't believe in Mohammed , I mean would someone who doesn't believe in Jesus be considered as a christian ?, plus Christianity is the mother of all confusion I mean the Jesus is god , he is the son of god doesn't held up against the Muslim version which is Jesus is a prophet, non the less I agree some cultures demean women, but not all of them do...

• lool wow you just showed me how ignorant you are for saying "shia's are not Muslims because they don't believe in mohammed" astakhfarallah ..where did you get this from? all shia's believe in the prophet mohammed (pbuh) he is our prophet and us shia's say "ashhado an la elaha el allah w EN MOHAMMED RASULL ALLAH" which means "i state that there is no god but allah and mohammed is his prophet" so how are we not considered Muslims? do me a favour and think before you write something down

• ohh girl shia are far from Muslims, ask any one from the sunna party and they will tell you they believe in some mehdi..who speaks to god lmao..and they thin ali who ever he is should be the prophet..and hey saying something without having the intent isn't truthfull

• "did you know that the face vale isn't a part of the Islamic culture" NOT TRUE. I don't wear a veil but sure it's in Islam. Muslim women should wear a veil.

"he can marry a non-Muslim girl if it comes to that" TRUE. A Muslim man can marry a non-Muslim girl but her children will be raised as Muslims.

"when it comes to sex, he can have sex with you provide he gets the blessing of your father/older brother, " ARE YOU CRAZY? Muslims should keep themselves until marriage. There's no such thing as blessing and crap.

I'm a Muslim and I can tell that you know nothing about Islam. So, please don't give wrong information to people on here. If you want to understand what Islam is you can ask me.

• THE FACE VEIL nikab , was introduced a 100 year after the death of the prophet so it's not part of islam, as for the sex thing it's called ORFI marriage it's practiced in all arab countries, and if the girl isn't Muslim for her it's not binding

• Islam rules are applied everywhere but Islamic countries are affected by the culture as well. Like Saudi Arabia is so strict and reserved whereas Tunisia and Lebanon are far from being Muslims. Still, Islam is Islam.

• trust me the face veil isn't part of islam, the way I see it it's a technicality, look all islamic countries agree that drinking alcohol is forbidden, as for ORFI thing I get the fact it's not that accepted between Muslims couples because they can do it wrong and end up doing something against their religion, but when the guy is Muslim and the girl isn't ORFI becomes a safer way to have sex, for the girl it isn't binding for the guy it's all under what his religion allows, I checked with an Imam

• I have dated one but I'd prefer them to be a different religion, though I suppose it doesn't amtter that much :)

• I would if he wasn't a fanatic about his religion. I don't find people who are too into their religion to be very attractive. But me being a christian wouldn't help our chances... Haha

• I would not date a Muslim. I have had so many bad encounters with them including that all of my managers at work are Muslim and they treat me like crap and don't care about me or anyone. I am also a Christian and I feel like our religions would make the relationship messy.

• yeah I bet they were from the middle-east, most of them are different from northern african arabs, or Lebanon, I've bean there and I felt those countries were modern, they respect their religion but also bend it's rules , like most christian do, plus part of being a Muslim is believing in Jesus as a prophet of God, so I don't think you being christian is a problem...

• I would date one. Just as he good with me do my religion.

• No,im not really too religous.

• No, for a few reasons. My Christian faith is important to me and it's important for my future husband to understand it. Despite me having a Muslim brother-in-law who is very respectful to my sister, I still can't shake off their dominant vibe. I think that's more of a culture thing though. Excuse my ignorance, but if he was a different ethnicity (non- Middle Eastern) then maybe I might consider it.

• it's true I've bean to tunisia and lebanon, and I can tell there aren't that many differences between their culture and the European culture

What Guys Said 2

• i guess you haven't really studied the religion islam allows marriages too only christians and jews awl the other have too be converted

islam doesn't treat women as equal to women it gives women more rites then a man has and her stature is higher then a man

and in islam it is recomended for a women too hide her body and it also tells a man too act civilised around a woman too avoid unwanted sexual desires by both sexes

• dude you massacred the english language, "to only..." "all the others"(ps I've read the quran converting the others was never mentioned, same for the disgusting face vale), "treat women equal to men", "more rights", "higher then men's" "a woman to hide" ... other wise I agree I visited civilized islamic countries "Tunisia, Lebanon, UAE, Qatar"...

• Yah, there hot especially algerians and French Muslims

• I'd date a Muslim chick, I don't care. I'm not ignorant as to assuming all the extremism we see in the media is the norm of a person of Islam.

• Oh, I should say I am agnostic. I can be tolerant of their religious beliefs fine so long as I'm never pushed into anything I'm not comfortable with. I'm not going to push them.