Dose age really matter?

So I'm 16 and my boyfriend just turned 20. But when I was 13 I dated him and he was 17 then. We broke up because he got asked to join the army and I didn't really want him to go but he said yes. But now 3 years later he is still in the army but he isn't in the actual wars. So all my friends said it's weird but I don't think so. Dose it seem weird?

Most Helpful Girl

• Age seems to matter when were younger. When I read 16 and 20, that didn't seem bad. But when I read 13 and 17 it seemed like a big jump. It's like a person at the end of their high school years dating a person at the end of their middle school years. Does that not sound weird? But when you say 20 and 24 for example, it's not a big deal. It may be because when we're younger, age divides us by grades. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you and you're boyfriend are happy, that's all that matters.

What Guys Said 1

• yeah that's a sizable age gap.. BUT the proportional age difference between a 13 and 17 year old is greater than that of a 16 and 20 year old. Therefore if it could work in the past, then it shouldn't be a problem now. That being said, he's no longer a minor and you still are, so that could present a problem.

• So if you were 17 you wouldn't date a girl tht is 13?

• no.. I am 17 and I can't see myself dating a girl any younger than 15, but I don't know you or your boyfriend, so there may be something I don't know about.. But all the 13 year olds I know are immature little girls... not saying there's anything wrong with them, but I shouldn't have anything to do with them

What Girls Said 1

• Personally I don't think its weird. Age is nothing but a number, the things that matter are the feelings and connection. I'm 16 and my boyfriend is 18, though he is really mature for his age. He's in the Marines and is away from home alot, so people tell me to call it quits 1) cause of the age and 2) cause of he fact we barely see each other. If your happy in the relationship with him stay in it, age doesn't matter if you really care for the other person and if there is a connection.