Is it OK to not date a guy because he is not a vegetarian like me?

I just went back to being a vegetarian and I am kind of having an issue deciding whether I should date a guy who is a vegetarian or not. What do you guys think?

It is extremely important to me but I also know every one is different and we are all entitled to our own opinions and honestly, I don't want to lose out on an amazing guy simply because he is not vegetarian but the thought of him eating animals disgusts me and makes me lose respect for him.

What should I do?

I am not looking to argue about being a vegetarian so please don't go into that or I'll just ignore it,.

I just want advice. Thank you!

• Date a carnivore!
  • Don't date him because it means a lot to you.

Most Helpful Guy

• You said "I just went back to being a vegetarian" so after being a vegitarian you started to eat meat (again) then turned vegetarian again? Now you're wondering if its OK to not date people if they are vegetarian while you actually stopped being vegi youreself apearently?

Am I alone spotting the incionsistency here? It disgust you if people eat meat and you lose respect for em but until recently you ate meat after having been a vegi?

Now I'm not saying any person youd date shouldn't be open minded to the subject and maybe avoid eating meat in you're presence. But you should be a tad more open minded youreself.

Ps it do understand its hard to cut meat out of you're life I did for 10 years roughly and started to eat meat again to gain weight for cosmetic reasons. It just seems really narowminded that you can't show understanding for it after going trough it youreself.

• live and lean. no.need to be so harsh :)

• sorry I didn't intend to come across harsh just rational/ logical

What Guys Said 10

• Date whoever the hell you want to. If the thought of a meat eater disgusts you so much, then I would suggest not going out with one.

PS: my food sh*ts on your food

• One think that you have to consider is that if the guy is not a vegetarian, would this interfere with your beliefs at all. Would he bug you about it, would it tempt you to eat meat, etc. If it wouldn't and it doesn't matter to you if he is a vegetarian or not then there is no reason to avoid dating a non-vegetarian. If you have doubts of what would happen then it may be worth it to only date vegetarians if you are strong in your beliefs.

• What good is our advice? Ultimately it is your decision, and it only depends on how important this is for you.

One thing you could consider is how compatible you would be with living with a carnivore. Would both of you have to cook separately every night, or would you be prepared to cook (but not eat) meals containing meat sometimes (he would of course have to cook at least some stuff without meat when he's cooking).

• I obviously asked because your advice is somewhat good.

And see, it is! Thank you!

You need to be a bit more optimistic there! lol

• I tend to assume people can figure out their own problems, perhaps I'm giving the world too much credit ;)

• I don't know. It's kind of your call isn't it? If it's that important to you, then don't date a non-veg. If it doesn't matter that much, then do it. If you're old enough to date at all, you should be old enough to decide who it is you will date, shouldn't you?

• Well, if it's something you hold close to you then I don't see much of a problem

You can't expect a religious catholic to marry an atheist so easily

it's the same situation but, you have to realize that it's probably meaningless when finding someone you really like

• For every pig you don't eat I'll eat 5

• Seems kind of petty to me personally, but then again, I'm the furthest thing from a vegetarian. I wouldn't have any problem dating a woman that was a vegetarian, but there is no way in hell I'd stop eating meat for her or even in front of her.

You would severely diminish the dating pool if you only dated vegetarians. And to be honest, most of the guys I've run across who were vegetarians were either very feminine, or gay. Not saying they are all that way, but if you are into "manly" men, you probably won't find one that is a vegetarian.

• you should eat a hamburger and stop being so damn picky -_-

• It's stupid to not date someone cause of something like that. As long as neither of you tries to change each other. Oh, and let's never get into the "facts" (bullsh*ts basically) about one being better than the other. Both are fine for your body and provide benefits and whatnot. Anything in moderation is generally decent for you. You having such an issue with someone eating an animal is kinda lolzy though. Seems kinda shallow too.

• not dating someone because they eat differently than you is shallow. love doesn't care what you eat

• Then everyone who is religious, against rape, death penalty, abortion. etc. is shallow?

It's a values/morals thing honey.

It's not that simple. It prob. is to you because you are not vege. but think of like a christian falling in love with a Muslim...Huge difference right? = tough decision!

• What if she thinks eating meat is extremely immoral? Would you date someone who, in your opinion, behaves in a very immoral fashion on a daily basis?

• ok that's different. If somebody refused to eat meat because they thought it was immoral, I wouldn't date them either. But if they just wanted to live that type of healthy lifestyle, or simply didn't like meat, it would be no problem for me.

What Girls Said 7

• I choose B, but I think you should date him if he truly likes you. I'm a vegan, and I completely understand what you're going through.

I think he should respect your decision to be a vegetarian, as in not be like "you're missing out on so much good food" or try to convince you to eat meat, or constantly make fun of you for not eating meat.

I know the fact that he eats meat may bother you a lot, but you should respect his decision to eat whatever.

Maybe you two can even talk about your what made you decide to be a vegetarian one day. You may be one person, but you kind of speak for all vegs, so don't seem arrogant or anything.. or he might assume all vegs are like that.

Who knows, maybe one day he'll even decide to become a veg himself. :]

It can happen.. happened with my friend. :]

I don't think people realize how much being a vegetarian or vegan really means to us, it's a lifestyle choice.. It's not something you can avoid.

I would date a meat-eater, but I would not buy meat for him. He can do that himself. I make eggs for my best friend 'cause she can't do it..haha.

But anyways, I wish you the best of luck in your decision. :]

Sorry that that was so long too.. haha. :]

• Oh, and you could always show them the movie Earthings. :] link

If someone can watch that straight through and still eat meat, they have to be seriously messed up.

• Im a vegetarian and I would personally prefer a vegetarian guy but that's not possible where I live so I just take what I get "meat eaters" :)

If you don't want to date a guy because he isn't a vegetarian then that is okay because it is an important part of your life, what you do, and how you percieve things.

Best Wishes

:)

• Thank you. I like that you use "prefer" because that means you prioritize your beliefs/values/morals yet you are still open-minded. :)

• I think the only people who can really understand what you mean would be fellow vegetarians and vegans. Most people REALLY don't get it. For me personally, it depends on how he acts about you being a vegetarian. If he makes rude comments about it, then I wouldn't go out with him because it means he doesn't respect your beliefs. But if he does show respect for it, then I'd go for it. I've met a few guys who are in no way vegetarians, but they told me how much they respected my decision and that they liked that I cared about something so much. Those are the kind of carnivores worth dating.

• Why not date him and see what happens? You don't have to marry the guy. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.

• I see your problem :) As I'm a vegetarian as well I spent a while trying to decide on this, but I think that you can't really expect that you'll find a guy right for you who is also a vegetarian. If you find someone you really like, you shouldn't let your personal food preferences get in the way of your happiness, you know? :)

• not that many guys are vegetarians so you may have a hard time finding a guy that you find attractive , meets all your standards and is a vegetarian a the same time. Just try to be open minded.

• It shouldn't matter. If you like his personality date him.