Girls, why would you give a guy a "fake #" rather than just saying you're not interested?

This is something that I just don't get. But then again...i am a male lol.

For the females...why is it when a guy you're not interested in, asks for your phone #, that some females give the guy a fake phone #, rather than just saying that you're not interested?

To me, as well as most guys...we see giving fake phone #'s as "playing games" and "leading us on"...pretty much everything (besides girls dating blatant a**holes) that we despise about female behavior.

So in the most respectful way possible...why the game-playing of giving a fake phone #?

For the guys...via the poll, which option do you think most females fall into?

Please give your insight for us males to understand. Guys can chime in as well. No flaming, please. :)

• I don't give out "fake #'s" to guys
  • I have given a "fake #" once or twice
  • I give out fake #'s sometimes (please state reason)
  • I regularly give out fake #'s (please state reasons)
Since I'm such a well-mannered sweetheart :)...I have to remember that I'm an exception to most males in regards to rejection.

Most of the girls' reasoning for giving phony #'s honestly makes sense. I've honestly don't remember seeing a guy react violently or overly-aggressive when being told "no"...but then again, I'm not a girl lol.
Now girls, if it isn't too much trouble...can you comment on your answer, talking about the most outrageous response that happened to you, from you rejecting a guy's advance to get your #?

The curiosity's killing me...

Thank you. :)
Here is another probing, eye-opening question for all of you wonderful users to give your input on.

Thanks for clicking and responding. :)

link

Most Helpful Girl

• maybe I'm just too blunt but I will not give my number to someone I don't have any interest in talking to. I will tell them I'm not interested or I don't give my number out. Why would I want to keep someone thinking they have a chance if they have none.

• The way you think isn't bad @ all, Ms. Pie. Imo I ENCOURAGE females to think the way you do.

To me, giving out a fake # is more cruel than stating your lack of interest VERBALLY (as in no teasing, or implicit "body language" nonsense). I give you props for how to handle that situation, Ms. Pie. :)

• best answer *hint hint* rofl jk

What Girls Said 45

• i've more guys would take rejection gracefully I would. but I'm not about to risk being publicly embarrassed and cussed out just so a random guy won't think I'm playing games. I'm sorry but its not a big of a deal, its just a phone number. he'll know I'm not interested when I never answer. instead of focusing on why girls "dont" do this, ask your male brethren why they act like bitchasses when they get rejected lol. I'm so sick of that "ay shawty" then when you don't respond your a bitch, your ugly or whatever and they always do it loud too so everyone sees and it puts you on the spot.

• I've never given out a fake number. Even in the case of a guy not taking no for an answer. If he keeps pushing, then I tell him he's getting into disrespectful territory and needs to back the f.uck off. Start getting pushy with me, I stop being so nice, lol.

• The only reason I would give out a "fake number" would be because I really didn't want the guy to be able to contact me. Maybe he creeped me out or was rude to me while asking for it. But I don't think I would give out a "FAKE" number, but just a wrong one. Maybe switch around the last few digits so if we met again and I still didn't want to talk to him, I would pretend he typed it in wrong.

• I've never given a fake number before.

But I think a lot of girls do it because they feel bad for the guy, and they feel its a lot "nicer" to give a fake number then straight up reject the guy. When in reality its just better to straight up reject him.

• Maybe the girl just doesn't want to seem rude or their just a bitch.

• I chose 'I regularly give out fake numbers' as in 'I regularly give out fake numbers to guys that can't take no for an answer'. For some reason, some guys don't get discouraged when they get flat-out rejected. They seem to think I'm playing hard to get, so they try even harder. This is very bothersome when I'm just trying to enjoy a night out with my friends, and I've found that the only way to get rid of them for good is to give out a fake number and send them their way.

• I do the same thing, but I don't give a fake number it's actualy the rejection hotline number lol

• To "straykitten"...why the HELL do you find that funny? :-X

• I have never given a fake number to a guy,I just give it to them but if I'm not interested then I just won't text back,simple as that...

• I would rather say sorry I have a boyfriend, if its true or not lol..and not give him any number. So you don't have to feel mean saying I'm not interested and you are not playing games by giving the wrong number.. It's the nicest way I believe lol

• I would never give out a fake number, it'd be so rude and mean! If a guy gave me his number and it ended up being fake I'd be so crushed. However, I'm a bit shy and I don't like lots of people (especially guys who like me that I'm not interested in) to have my phone number, so I will avoid the question or say gently that I'm not interested. When I'm really into a guy, I'll give him my number first and see what he does with it (:

• I've never given a fake number to anyone and I probably never will. However, I can see why some women choose to- it's an easy way to avoid directly turning someone down, which can be awkward. Plus, sometimes guys won't take no for an answer. Obviously that isn't the most honest thing to do, but there you have it. I don't think it's an intentional mind game, just a way to get rid of someone or turn them down without confronting them directly.

• I never gave a fake number. I just don't give my number.

It's less hassle and he knows where he stands...or doesn't stand.

• I've never given out a fake number. If I don't like them I'll tell them straight up, there's no need to give a fake number.

• if I tell him no , but he won`t leave me alone , I give a fake number . if he`s ugly but kind of nice , then he gets one too . if he`s just an a**hole , he gets a straight-up , f*** you

• Guys, take it from this girl...if you're more direct & less "nice" when asking for a #, you won't get "played with" by getting a fake #.

I learned in HS (yes I see the answerer is 16) that when you're more direct and less "nice&sweet" about asking for #'s, I NEVER got a fake again.

It's a sad thing when you're nice...ppl (especially girls) will be dishonest about their intentions because of some "not wanting to hurt his feelings" nonsense.

• as the saying goes , nice guys finish last.

that`s usually how things work , though it`s unfortune

• if I absolutely don't want a guy to have my number I give them the rickroll phone number :]

cuz I'm cool like that...

• I never give out fake numbers. I just take his and decide if I'd like to call or not.

• i don't give out fake numbers. If I don't want to talk to the person, I just don't reply to their calls.

• So you'll give out a phone # to a person you don't want to talk to?

I'm curious...why would you do that & waste his AND your time?

• You're shady...but to each their own. Just expect some nasty s*** to be spread around that guy's male entourage about you being shady. As long as you want to live with that...

• :Well,actually I never give any fake number I always say it direct to the point if I'm not interested and I keeps on saying I'm married already hahaha which is funny well that's who I am ;-)

• i wish I hv the strength to say it directly

maybe being married is a good answer

• :hehehe but I'm not married so its just an alibi ;-)

• If I don't like a guy, I'll just ignore him.

Giving out fake numbers takes energy...and you're just leading them on, don't know why some girls do it. It's not being kind, it might look that way at the moment but when the guy realized he has been played...uh oh.

• I have to agree. The way I am...if I got a fake ? I'd begin a smear campaign & tell all my male peeps how much of a shady game-playing bitch she is, & that she's not date-able material because of her immaturity & her shadiness.

She would've had it coming to her doing shady deceptive s*** like that to people.

• I never give out fake #s,

I say don't guve my # to strangers. I walk away after that or say good bye, so no response. sometimes they ask where they can find me. in that case I just say I'm at school most of the day or at work.

• sorry, but where I'm from the guys are insane, if you say no, they are ready to kill you lol. and if you give them the right #, they may call you all the time. So if you give them a fake # everything goes fast and no one gets hurt lol

• I've only ever given one fake number to a guy that wouldn't take no for an answer. I felt evil about it but it got rid of him when he found out it was fake :/

• I have done it one or twice ... because I canĀ“t remember my number :D

• If what you say is true...then you get a free pass. I know how hard it is for people to remember their own cell #.

I don't forget my # because when I make calls for work, I always say my cell # aloud on every message lol.

• lol :D

Well, I have almost the same cell # as my mother ... so I have not given fake number, just my mother?s # :P :D

• i think its harmless to give out your number. so I do. who cares. at least you have someone to text while your bored :)

• wow. now that I look back on my answer...after a year...

• I give out fake #'s sometimes :

cause I don't want to embarrass the guy in front of me by saying directly I'm not interested for sure when he try to call me he will find out I'm not interested

• So you want to waste his time and lead him on? your intentions aren't bad but the method isn't nice he'll get a lot of girls that will tell him no you won't be the last so just prepare him for later if you aren't interested.

• yeah, but what if he calls you while you are right with him? you would look retarted

• opps it'd b so embarrassing if he called while I'm with him

• usually if I'm not interested I make it known. there was this time I actually had to have another guy have a guy get away from me. he would not leave me alone. later I gave that guy my number lol. but yeah I just make it known with my body language when I'm not interested.

• I don't give them a fake #; I give them a straight up No. But for the girls that do it; maybe its like: what can you do if the guy is persistent and plain annoying.

• I gave out a fake number once but only because the guy wouldn't take no for an answer lol

• I don't give out my number period I tell people to look me up on fb if they want to talk and let it go from there is so much easier

• I wouldn't give a fake #

• I don't give out my number at all, fake or not, I would never.

• More from Girls
    15

What Guys Said 7

• She wouldn't even give me a number.

I had to use a reverse phone book to get her number. Then she freaked out, not realizing that I had such a book at my disposal.

• they don't want to hurt our feelings but sometimes I wish they would to be more honest

• Wouldn't turning them down be considered, let's say-more polite than doing that? Or just being up-front about it?

• I think so, stevo. Giving a fake # imo is deceptive and more of an ego crush than being flat-out rejected, because you're not wasting your time.

One thing that I noticed in HS was...once I stopped being so "nice&sweet&polite" about asking for ?'s...i got more flat-out rejections.

But...I also never got a fake # again.

Pretty much not acting puppy-like when asking for ?'s weeds out the questionable prospects that give phony #'s to (supposedly) "not hurt my little feelings". lol

• More of a 'I want to hurt you' type thing going on with that, I think.

• A girl actually gave me her real number, but she never picked up. I am really mad at her because she's the one that started talking to me. I will never again speak to a stranger again.

• Avoids confrontation.

• @update Yeah, I've never seen it either, I think it's bs personally. One of those lies people tell themselves to make the story better, like a fishing lie.

• They avoid actually having to turn them down.

• I'm going to respond to every one of these stupid women.

1. "'ve more guys would take rejection gracefully I would"

So lie instead? that's nice.

2. "but I'm not about to risk being publicly embarrassed and cussed out just so a random guy won't think I'm playing games. "

How about you try being nice when you reject a guy. A persons automatic response to nice behavior is nice behavior. I'm sure if you told a guy to "f*** off" he's probably going to get pissed.

Psychology PROVES good behavior promotes other good positive behavior.

3. "I'm sorry but its not a big of a deal, its just a phone number. he'll know I'm not interested when I never answer. "

Im sorry are you being sarcastic? I mean no one is this dumb. So women are already scared of men stalking them so you're going to give your REAL number to a guy you're not interested in and then have to screen your calls too? So you're screwing him AND yourself? :/

You can't be serious.

4. "never give out fake #s, "

Most women aren't going to admit to doing this. You might as well ask a man to admit to a woman on a date if he's cheated on a girl.

5. "I know all guys aren't like this, but the ones who are ruined it for the rest of you guys. We can't tell who is going to be mature and level headed by simply looking at you. "

And its women like THIS that ruin it for the rest of women.

Instead of being honest and being nice when you reject a woman she's being a total bitch.

Or men wouldn't act that way. Men don't act like jerks for "no reason" either they are doing it becuase they see a woman like this like the other woman who was a total bitch, OR she's being a bitch and saying stuff like "F*** OFF!" when she's rejecting him.

Im sorry it goes both ways honey.

6. "'ve been cursed out and called a bitch for saying No/ not interested politely. I've been called a liar and challenged when I said I had a boyfriend. "

False. If you did it "politely" they wouldn't have done that. You didn't do it good enough.

And if women didn't constantly LIE and TEST men when they say "i have a boyfriend" we wouldn't do that.

Again, not all women are like this, but its women like this that ruin it for the rest of women.

7. "ts about avoiding to hurt some1, or not being so strong to say " NO" "

So hurt them LATER when you don't have to see their reaction.

Thats called COWARDICE not something you're doing out of the goodness of your heart.

8. "I would rather say sorry I have a boyfriend, "

This doesn't work. You should stop that. Its women that LIE about it to TEST men that ruin it for the rest of women.

Stop that.

STOP.

Hey I got an idea, how about being honest?

Nah lying is probably better.

:/

9."Maybe he creeped me out or was rude to me while asking for it. "

If a guy was a total creeper, you think he's going to LIKE that its fake?

IF you're fearing safety, probably not going to do you any good anyways. Think about it.

What if you see him again? ever think of that?