Would you ever date a disabled person?

Hey people of GAG, would you ever consider dating a severely handicapped person (e.g totally blind/deaf, missing a limb, etc). And for those that would, could you ever see yourself marrying a person like this?

I ask, because I unfortunately lost my leg in a car accident a few months ago, and I was just wondering what peoples opinions on this matter are. Please please be honest, though, and don't just say yes because I'm asking, lol.

Also, do you know any disabled people who are in happy relationships or marriages, or are you one yourself?

Most Helpful Guy

• I dated a blind girl and two girls with spina bifida/hydrocephalus (they use wheelchairs). I could see myself marrying them. Never happened. The blind girl and I were never officially an item. The two with spina bifida - one got married to someone in her state but I have no further information. I'm not bitter. I'm happy for her. I once dated a girl in my own province - we met in the hospital where we were having similar surgery. That went well for a while by my dad's prejudice got in the way (I was still in high school then). "Why don't you find somebody NORMAL?" I ignored him. It was the age thing that broke us up. She was a few years younger than me. Not my idea. Then she dates and marries a guy MUCH older then me. That was in the 1980s. I got a call from her last year (my jealous wife hung up on her) but she told me how abusive her husband was to her and that they divorced. I can't help but think it would never have happened if she didn't break up with me. Oh well. But as I said, the other girl seems happy from what I hear. The blind girl, I found her on Facebook but she never accepted my friend request so I don't know.

Am I happy in my marriage? Generally. We have our rough spots and another chronic condition I have is depression. I take medication for it but sometimes the depression can be a little much for my wife. She has almost as hard a time with it as I do. But a month ago I was given new medication and it's helping me much better than anything else I've taken.

What Girls Said 10

• Missing limb, yes, but someone severely disabled in other ways I am not so sure about. However, if I was dating someone that was perfectly fine and suddenly after time something tragic occurred that left them blind, deaf, etc or completely disabled I would still be interested in dating them. Disabled or not there still has to be some spark, interest, and connection there, if not, it just won't happen.

• I don't think I could handle a relationship with a blind person, since I'm deaf, and communication would be really difficult. :/ But I think I'd be fine with the others.

And yes, I am currently a disabled person in a happy relationship with someone who doesn't have any handicaps himself. :)

• Still a person so I would see no problem unless they were a jerk I don't like jerks. :(

• absolutely! it's almost a turn on...haha:))) one of my guy friends is blind, and has a wonderful girl friend. they're in a strong relationship. :)

• You'd be surprised how many handicap people refuse to date and have a relationship with someone in their similar condition --- the arrogant bastards!

• i think missing limbs is totally intresting and I would have no problem with that in fact it would be pretty cool but blind or death might be alittle unconfortable because I don't know very much about disabilities but a guess it would be totally worth it if he was a great guy

• sure, and I don't know not because he's disabled but cause I'm just iffy about merriage.

i haven't really met anyone with disablities so I dunno.

it really depends on there personality, if there a good person I'll give them a chance :)

• a deaf person yes but that is it

• Absoluty. Personality matters most to me.

• Yessss, of course, but he has to be funny, and positive! :D

What Guys Said 9

• Absolutely. I'm not dating someone for their hearing, limbs, or eyesight. If I were to connect with someone disabled and there was a spark I don't think I'd have a second thought about it. I've always fantasized about being with a deaf woman. I'm seriously not being mean or joking, but I've always wondered if they are obnoxiously loud during sex. That would be sexy as f***. Kind of like when you have your headphones on and talk louder because you can't hear yourself. Hmmmmm, maybe I need to learn sign language. Sorry to hear about your leg bro. Don't let it define you or confine you. There are some crazy good prosthetics around now days. I wish you the best of luck man.

• LOL @ the deaf sex part

• Whoa! Robo-girl, you're deaf? I meant no disrespect. I swear I didn't. But risking possibly offending you, is it true? I just think it would be seriously hot. And any tips on how a hearing fella can land a deaf girl. Or am I struck because I can't sign? Would I ever have a chance, or am I off the table because of communication issues?

• Haha, I have no idea how I'll be during sex, I'll have to get back to you on that one. Also, it's not off the table, as a lot of us can lip-read. :) I'm not sure how you go about getting a deaf girlfriend. The same way you would normally I guess. O:

• It really comes down to personality and intelligence for me more than anything else. Met a sweet girl with epilepsy, a speech impediment and some manner of shaking disorder in high school. Our lockers were next to one another, and she frequently had me opening hers on account of her unstable hands. I wanted to pursue something more with her, and my special education teachers told me she liked me, but I could never work up the courage. Had less to do with disability than my own shyness.

• Have I ever told you about the time I tried to date a girl with no arms? I don't mean not one.. but she had neither arm. She had this mirror pic she took - her foot was wrapped over her head clutching her camera. I wish I had saved that photo. She was really cute by the way and interesting. She didn't write me back. Ain't that some bullsh*t? Like she had so many guys hitting on her I was disposable. And I write funny profiles!

I could tell you another story about Rachel. She lived a few miles away. We talked online for a few months, finishing each others' sentences. I thought there was a connection. Silly me. Well she refuses to meet me because she has to date a one legged bastard first. No offense. Me, with two legs, gets along great with her - I'm passed over. For her it was first come first serve. So you guessed it... they hit it off and I never get to meet the girl. Typical girl bullsh*t. I ran into her last December and she said it didn't last. She caught him soliciting other men for sex on craigslist. I didn't give her the time of day because... bitch, I was the right choice.. I was telling her and she didn't believe me... F***ing Rachel... Dumbass.

Oh and then there's Sara. I saw her profile on another site. Cute, interesting. Checking out her pics. Cool, cool, cool... stump?! Go back and there's 7 pics with her hand conveniently hidden. Underwater, wrapped around a friend, wedged between her legs, in her pocket... We had already been talking for a week by now. So I asked her about it very nicely and the girl disappears and deletes her profile. It was the most gentle email ever - Jesus couldn't have done a better job and she scatters. So much for that one. I found her online later and saved a few of her pics. Still waiting for her to post the stump one again. It's like collecting baseball cards.. for some reason I'm driven to get the whole set. So I can tell the story and have something to actually show.

• You feel emotion for the person based on the physical looks and personality, blind,deaf missing limbs,scars whatever, if they person has some 'dint' to the physical shell but the personality is still attractive then sure, physical looks don't ultimately rule.

• I would date a handicapped person. Communicating with a deaf person would be difficult though because I don't know sign language. And I don't mean to be shallow, but being in a relationship with a person who's in a wheel chair their whole life would be difficult. I Didn't say that it couldn't work out in the end though.

• That is a tough one. On the surface I would say no. But I wouldn't rule out developing feelings for someone I got to know over time. I know a handful of people who are married and have physical disabilities.

One guy is missing his left leg, and he was married AFTER the fact to his longtime girlfriend. He lost it in Iraq. The other is missing a foot but he lost that after he'd already been married a long time. I also know a guy with Crohn's disease who just got married, and he has to wear a collection bag.

• I would have to say no :(

• I definitely would as long as they are positive and not down on themselves all the time.

• Unfortunately I have to say No I would not date a disabled person.