Why do some girls wear expensive clothes all the time?

i just got back from the gym. I wore a pair of running shorts from old navy that cost $10 and a ratty old tank top from I don't know where. my clothes were comfy enough to work out in and ratty enough that I don't mind sweating on them.

most of the girls I saw at the gym were wearing vs pink, lululemon, hollister, or juicy couture clothes. why would you spend $60-$200 on an outfit you're just going to sweat in?

girls in my dorm would wear these clothes when we were hanging out in each others rooms and studying and that makes sense because you're still kinda in public (surrounded by 50 or more girls anyway) so you want to look cute, but when it comes to sleeping or working out, why ruin such expensive clothes?

Most Helpful Girl

• I wear my Juicy sweats and yoga VS pants a lot to the gym. Not as a fashion thing but because they were made for working out and they're comfy as well as more helpful with moving around. I like to wear sweat pants when I run because I sweat more but I've found that a lot of the usual sweat pants create a lot more heat than I would like. The Juicy and VS yoga pants allow my legs to breath a little more. Not all Juicy clothes are expensive too, you can find a lot of things at TJ maxx or Marshalls for a lot cheaper. And VS isn't all that expensive either.

As for the girls who wear makeup and have their hair down up who come into the gym, that's a different story lol.

What Guys Said 8

• They think the gym is a place to pick up men...

• I like how I have 5 uppies (which means I am the best answerer on this question) however...the best answer is probably going to go to the one with the most downies...it is whatever...

• I think because some girls have rich daddy's that spoil them.

• They can afford it. Why not, if you can afford it? I can't afford it so I wear cheap as f*** clothes all the time, hahaha. If I had the money I'd be running around in proper fitted taylor made gear all the time, awesome.

• 1)to make others feel jealous

2)they got money,so why not spend?on something more comfortable and luxurious

3)Validation from Peer Group

• Trying to impress guys, I guess.

Amusing: most of us probably won't see a difference between $1000 outfit and some cheap outfit bought somewhere at bazaar.

• That doesn't make any sense to me, but then again, women do a lot of things that seem bizarre to me.

• its called materialism, its quite shallow.

• To make other superficial girls jealous.

What Girls Said 9

• Let me guess, these girls also had on noticeable makeup and nicely styled hair (as opposed to pulled back in a ponytail or something)?

That describes most of the girls I see at my gym. A lot of girls like to dress to impress no matter where they are or what they're doing. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I also find it a little ridiculous to spend $50 on a pair of work out pants. I don't even spend that much on my real pants.

• Well if they can afford it then more power to em. I don't really care what clothes other girls wear. If they want to spend that much on their wardrobe, so be it. I have nice clothes that I didn't have to break the bank for. I wear what I can afford. But I tend to not give a sh*t about what other people choose to do.

I'm not going to talk bad about a girl who wears expensive stuff, that's her choice. And if she ruins them at the gym? So what, she can probably afford new so it probably doesn't matter to her. It's her (or her parents) money, not mine. So it doesn't affect me in any way, shape, or form.

• I really don't care how people want to dress or spend their money on clothes. If they want to look cute for the gym good for them, how does this effect you exactly? Personally, I wear cheap gym clothes but that's just me. I don't think what people wear should be based off of what I wear...it's their choice.

• Because they're cute and everyone feels good in a cute outfit. Plus, they could either be rich, have a job that gives them a lot of disposable income, OR be really good at shopping sales and therefore not spend as much money as you think they do on clothes. I would rather dress nice in clothes I look and feel good in than something ratty. It's a psychological thing: when you look good you feel good.

• I definitely agree! Plus if you feel good and confident then that boosts your energy which is always a good thing when you're at the gym.

• I agree. When I work out I wear cheap shorts $20 the absolute most but usually $5 or $10. A $10 sports bra from tj maxx and some cheap school t-shirt I have laying around. I don't want to buy expensive clothes to get sweat on. They just think that they are going to attract guys there.

• I HATE THAT. Why dress up for the gym? Nobody sits there admiring you, they are busy working out themselves. I also agree with the sweat argument. Godammit girls are stupid.

• Maybe because they're label whores & have the money to spend on name brands. I used to be like that when I was in high school but now that my parents make less money, I'm in college & I'm so broke it's not even funny, I rarely shop anymore. Expensive clothes usually hold up better & look better. But that's not to say you can't find stylish & sophisticated clothes at Forever 21, Wet Seal, etc. compared to Express, A&F, AE, etc.

I do, however, wear Victoria's Secret yoga pants & capris to work out in. They fit my body really well & the elastic doesn't get worn out when I wash it after I wear them.

• Welcome to the uni club. I have clothes that are so old. I'm so late with fashion these days, so I tell everyone I'm going vintage, to save face. Boom.

• @ Enchanted, I've noticed you getting down-rated very much lately. Most of your answers are good, intelligent and reliable, besides the fact that you have a respectful attitude. Just wondering if you pissed someone off or gained any enemies lately? :o

• @TwistedLogic, I'm always gaining new haters & fans. And haters gonna hate. What can you do?

• There are boys at the gym, and they're looking to impress.

• some people can afford it